Who is the most bitter after Dubs do 5 in a row

Started by dublin7, September 15, 2019, 06:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

'What does money have to do with family? Me and my da. Jack McCaffrey's dad, Bernard Brogan's dad, Dean Rock's dad'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/what-does-money-have-to-do-with-family-me-and-my-da-jack-mccaffreys-dad-bernard-brogans-dad-dean-rocks-dad-38519167.html?fbclid=IwAR3V5ZaYoWTYymBJ-03LtKOzP3arGeMKADOLMeoSgTa9eEHecu1JUgza2z0

The telling line in the article is:

Cluxton spoke to McCarthy this week. "Macker, I played 10 years and we lost every year. It was crushing.

"And then all you guys come along and we start winning.''

highorlow

Con O'Callaghan, Mannion and Kilkenny's aul lads were only average footballers so we are ok then.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

imtommygunn

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 21, 2019, 10:07:07 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2019, 09:04:33 PM
Kerry have a chance of challenging the dominance. I didn't think that before the final but I do now.

Dublin will also be a lot worse off when Gavin goes.

Are Kerry really that far ahead of Tyrone Donegal Mayo that they are going to seriously challenge Dublin??? Lets be realistic here if Cooper wasnt red carded in the drawn game Dublin would have won pulling up.While Kerry have some outstanding players the replay showed the gap between dublin and the rest is only getting bigger.Kerry may be the best of the rest but theres a big difference between that and challenging Dublin.

They could have won the first game and cooper deserved to get sent off because Clifford was forcing him to foul. I don't think any of the other teams you mention would have been able to do that.

They are more fallible than I thought though still a good bit better than the rest.

Sure this forum was full of epitaphs for half their older players and gavin after the drawn game then suddenly it was back to money again when they beat Kerry well.

(I do believe the money thing to a point but it is completely overplayed by some. )

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2019, 08:03:32 AM
Kerry have a chance of challenging the dominance. I didn't think that before the final but I do now.

Are Kerry really that far ahead of Tyrone Donegal Mayo that they are going to seriously challenge Dublin??? Lets be realistic here if Cooper wasnt red carded in the drawn game Dublin would have won pulling up.While Kerry have some outstanding players the replay showed the gap between dublin and the rest is only getting bigger.Kerry may be the best of the rest but theres a big difference between that and challenging Dublin.

They could have won the first game and cooper deserved to get sent off because Clifford was forcing him to foul. I don't think any of the other teams you mention would have been able to do that.

They are more fallible than I thought though still a good bit better than the rest.

Sure this forum was full of epitaphs for half their older players and gavin after the drawn game then suddenly it was back to money again when they beat Kerry well.

(I do believe the money thing to a point but it is completely overplayed by some. )

The money is used to leverage the population advantage that Dublin has . That is the core issue.
They can produce say 200 county standard footballers from a base of x thousand .  There is then a selection for skills and another one for endurance

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/charlie-redmond-it-was-a-disgraceful-decision-by-rt-to-screen-a-programme-which-wanted-to-run-down-amateur-athletes-38520756.html

"Bryan Cullen has done a wonderful job as the strength and conditioning coach of this team.
Bryan doesn't turn out muscle-bound gym-bunnies, nor try to turn every player into Olympic speedsters.
If you've got natural pace, like Jack McCaffrey, Eric Lowndes or Eoin Murchan, Cullen adds to it, but his prime job is to turn out football players who can go to the very end.
Having already played for 31 minutes a man down, in those last 12 minutes three weeks ago they hunted down Kerry, showing awesome commitment and fitness."

What is really striking from this article is Charlie's sense of entitlement.
And how amateur Kerry and the rest are by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsO_SlA7E8k

seafoid

Quote from: dublin7 on September 21, 2019, 10:03:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 21, 2019, 09:55:13 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 21, 2019, 09:35:27 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 21, 2019, 05:28:06 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 21, 2019, 04:34:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2019, 02:48:13 PM
The Dubs playing tiki taka after one of the goals against Mayo in the semi was particularly distasteful and said so much about their humility in a flawed system where mediocrity is the height of achievement for 31 counties.
Kerry tried to play keep ball the 1st day and got caught out. It's just game management. I imagine if it rained in choke park you'd moan and blame the dubs for getting wet. I take it you're not "Buzzin for the half dozen???

What I found distasteful was when Donegal sat back in their own half last year against Dublin for last 15 min happy to only lose by 5/6 rather than push up on Dublin, yet that was somehow dublin's fault.

It was a League game. They were beaten. They were controlling score difference at that stage. That was the NEUTRAL VENUE game! That was the bit I'd not like about that! The GAA decided in their infinite wisdom to give ye even advantages on the playing field as well as off it!
Sorry when you quote GAA you are quoting county board delegates from around the country. How exaclty is that Dublin's fault???

This MB should be linked to the Joe Duffy radio show. Posters bitch, moan and cry about the dubs but will do nothing about the so called advantages they claim Dublin have.

Dublin will do what they do next year and the same cry baby posters  will bitch about Dublin's so called advantages.

Thankfully the real world is not like twitter and the bitter posters here who can appreciate one of the greatest ever teams playing attacking football and achieving historic victories.

Buzzin for the half dozen

Where in the above did I blame Dublin GAA?
So you hate the dubs but won't call them on it. At least Seafoid is honest and just admits he hates dublin.

You blame GAA but that includes your county and the rest of the country. It must be lovely up on that high horse you sit on where you judge everyone
I don't hate Dublin. When Dublin were shite I always had time for them ;)
I think the system of funding Dublin has to go.
I don't think it's fair to the other counties.

I also think there has to be some mechanism to share sponsorship money around .

Wildweasel74

In relation to funding, is it population based? Or number of clubs based? Cork got more clubs than any other county. There 32 counties, a simple vote on the way gaa money is divided between counties shouldn't be that hard. Also counties have all been bought off to play games in croke Park for a bigger cut of mony in the leinster championship. They can easily outvote Dublin to play their home games at home against Dublin.

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on September 22, 2019, 09:14:21 AM

The money is used to leverage the population advantage that Dublin has . That is the core issue.
They can produce say 200 county standard footballers from a base of x thousand .  There is then a selection for skills and another one for endurance

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/charlie-redmond-it-was-a-disgraceful-decision-by-rt-to-screen-a-programme-which-wanted-to-run-down-amateur-athletes-38520756.html

"Bryan Cullen has done a wonderful job as the strength and conditioning coach of this team.
Bryan doesn't turn out muscle-bound gym-bunnies, nor try to turn every player into Olympic speedsters.
If you've got natural pace, like Jack McCaffrey, Eric Lowndes or Eoin Murchan, Cullen adds to it, but his prime job is to turn out football players who can go to the very end.
Having already played for 31 minutes a man down, in those last 12 minutes three weeks ago they hunted down Kerry, showing awesome commitment and fitness."

Where is the sense of entitlement in the quote you have put up? Caveat, I haven't watched the YouTube video so it could be in that

tonto1888

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 22, 2019, 10:34:56 AM
In relation to funding, is it population based? Or number of clubs based? Cork got more clubs than any other county. There 32 counties, a simple vote on the way gaa money is divided between counties shouldn't be that hard. Also counties have all been bought off to play games in croke Park for a bigger cut of mony in the leister championship. They can easily outvote Dublin to play their home games at home against Dublin.

Outvote Dublin? Isn't it the other counties who voted to play in CP

seafoid

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 22, 2019, 10:35:40 AM

Where is the sense of entitlement in the quote you have put up? Caveat, I haven't watched the YouTube video so it could be in that
elsewhere in the article
"It was a disgraceful decision by our national broadcaster to run a programme which wanted to do nothing more than run down amateur athletes who had just created a wonderful piece of Irish sporting history.
Now for the money issue. If it was all about money, Dublin would be winning hurling titles all over the place. They are not.
And, secondly, not a cent of that coaching and games development money goes on preparing any Dublin inter-county team.
It is all spent on sending coaches into clubs and schools to encourage young boys and girls to be the best they can be."

So it's just a fluke that they won 5 in a row

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on September 22, 2019, 11:41:14 AM

elsewhere in the article
"It was a disgraceful decision by our national broadcaster to run a programme which wanted to do nothing more than run down amateur athletes who had just created a wonderful piece of Irish sporting history.
Now for the money issue. If it was all about money, Dublin would be winning hurling titles all over the place. They are not.
And, secondly, not a cent of that coaching and games development money goes on preparing any Dublin inter-county team.
It is all spent on sending coaches into clubs and schools to encourage young boys and girls to be the best they can be."

Again, where is the entitlement in that?

imtommygunn

Yeah exactly and Kerry are not overly amateur.

I get what you say sf but you have lost the run of yourself a bit. You talk like they should be kicked out. Crazy talk.

magpie seanie

Some people seriously losing the run of themselves here. I'd love for us to meet up to read over all these comments in 5 years time.

TheGreatest

Quote from: seafoid on September 22, 2019, 11:41:14 AM

elsewhere in the article

Its factually correct though, development money does not go near the senior inter county teams.

dublin7

Facts are irrelevant to most on here. If everthing came down to population and money China would be world no 1 in all sports.

It seems being better is now a crime,sin, unfair advantage to everyone else.

Its ironic that Mayo/Galway fans bitch about Dublin making it impossible to win. London, Sligo and Leitrim in Connacht alone are severely disadvantaged compared to them, but as both as bith counties van beat them they don't care what happens.

Imagine if all supporters in all sports were like muppets here who decided not to go to games because they think their team won't win. Competitive sport would be finished overnight