Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: Don Johnson on August 17, 2019, 09:24:52 AM
Do you think car rental companies would share customer information with each other, or even care?

For example, if you were black listed with EuropCar do you think you could get a car from Hertz or Avis etc?

Eh, asking for a friend...

I'm more curious to know how you (or your friend  ;)) could be blacklisted?  I always thought that unless you actually posted the car back to them in bits I dont think they care. Those guys have things well covered so they can  extract every possible penny from you thats its not an issue.

The only thing to be aware of is that some of them operate under different brands for example I think Firefly are Hertz's budget brand

Dire Ear

Glamping at a farm in Slane.......anyone been?

Targetman

Anyone been to Fuertaventura, heading there soon for a week, any info greatly appreciated

grounded

Quote from: Targetman on September 19, 2019, 04:34:17 PM
Anyone been to Fuertaventura, heading there soon for a week, any info greatly appreciated

Stayed in corralejo in the North of the island about 5 years ago. Much like Lanzarote but a bit quieter. Not a while pile to do. Lots of watersports if that's your thing. I did a little cycling while I was there, which was a nice way to see some of the smaller villages and the lunar like landscape.

trailer

Donegal

We went for a wee week before the kids went back to school. I'd been in my youth to other places in Donegal but not really since. We booked a nice if basic chalet type house in Downings. Here follows a brief summation.

In short Donegal is seriously overrated. The drive is pretty awful, with not a good road to be had. The scenery is spoilt by un-kept hedgerows and awful buildings. Indeed nothing seems to ever have been finished off properly. It's like they were nearly done and then said we'll finish that tomorrow, but they never came back.

The planning committee for Donegal Co. Council or whoever makes such decisions is doing a very bad job. An awful lot of poorly thought out planning decisions seems to have been made. Where we stayed for example, was a little cull de sac of 5 or 6 houses, the road wasn't finished even with a base coat of tar just hardcore and likely won't ever be by the looks of it and there was no footpath to walk to wee town. There was barely a footpath in the town. Surely footpaths should be mandatory?
There's chalet type houses EVERYWHERE. You can't see anything for houses. Awful.
Some of the building that built are truly awful. They look awful and they all seem to be finished with a grey render that bleeds red. It's absolutely awful looking.

There's nothing much in the town. The two shops just about have the essentials, one didn't have bottled water. They' were pretty awful to be honest. We went for Breakfast to a cafe one morning. It didn't accept card. It was just hassely. Who doesn't accept card in 2019?? The food was good.

There's two pubs. One isn't really accessible unless your driving. We had the kids so weren't on that sort of holiday but certainly they seemed nice places if as I say a little inaccessible.

The beach was fine. You could drive onto it which is handy, but it's a beach and certainly not worth going to as one off.

It rained a lot. Indeed Downings appears to get more rain that the other town beside it. We were out for a drive and it wasn't raining in Ramelton (I think that's the other town) but it was in Downings. Quite heavily.

So it was great to be away for a few days etc but I don't think I'd ever go back because there are other places that are far more beautiful and picturesque.
The people are nice enough though.

Has anyone else been and what are your thoughts?

tyroneman

Quote from: trailer on September 19, 2019, 10:11:58 PM
Donegal

We went for a wee week before the kids went back to school. I'd been in my youth to other places in Donegal but not really since. We booked a nice if basic chalet type house in Downings. Here follows a brief summation.

In short Donegal is seriously overrated. The drive is pretty awful, with not a good road to be had. The scenery is spoilt by un-kept hedgerows and awful buildings. Indeed nothing seems to ever have been finished off properly. It's like they were nearly done and then said we'll finish that tomorrow, but they never came back.

The planning committee for Donegal Co. Council or whoever makes such decisions is doing a very bad job. An awful lot of poorly thought out planning decisions seems to have been made. Where we stayed for example, was a little cull de sac of 5 or 6 houses, the road wasn't finished even with a base coat of tar just hardcore and likely won't ever be by the looks of it and there was no footpath to walk to wee town. There was barely a footpath in the town. Surely footpaths should be mandatory?
There's chalet type houses EVERYWHERE. You can't see anything for houses. Awful.
Some of the building that built are truly awful. They look awful and they all seem to be finished with a grey render that bleeds red. It's absolutely awful looking.

There's nothing much in the town. The two shops just about have the essentials, one didn't have bottled water. They' were pretty awful to be honest. We went for Breakfast to a cafe one morning. It didn't accept card. It was just hassely. Who doesn't accept card in 2019?? The food was good.

There's two pubs. One isn't really accessible unless your driving. We had the kids so weren't on that sort of holiday but certainly they seemed nice places if as I say a little inaccessible.

The beach was fine. You could drive onto it which is handy, but it's a beach and certainly not worth going to as one off.

It rained a lot. Indeed Downings appears to get more rain that the other town beside it. We were out for a drive and it wasn't raining in Ramelton (I think that's the other town) but it was in Downings. Quite heavily.

So it was great to be away for a few days etc but I don't think I'd ever go back because there are other places that are far more beautiful and picturesque.

I've always found that it's the vibe in Donegal that you go for - you can almost feel your entire body exhale and start to relax as you cross the border. I've been in Downings a few times and found it to be a great wee spot.

1 good hotel pub smack in the midle of town, anoter good pub with a fantastic fish restaurant, just a 2min walk out of town.

Lidl a 10-15min drive away if yu need to stock up and the beach....Downings beach itself is typically crowded, but Trá Mór beach....simply stunning and usually pretty empty.

So it is what it is. Donegal is not a sophisticated place to go on holiday but I love it as for me it's about decent people, good pints, nice walks, good food and a bit of craic.

Milltown Row2

Donegal has a hell of a lot more to what your experience was. My friend has a place across the road from Ards Forrest park and I've yet to see a better place to take the dogs for a run.

Dunfanaghy is up the road from it and any amount to places to eat drink and explore, golf course if you're into that very local. As for the planning, Christ why would you stress about that? It's Donegal it's very similar to South Kerry, no planning and that's why it's great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

Donegal

One of the most uninformed posts I have ever read on any internet site. Pathetic.

Don Johnson

Don't feed the troll...

BennyCake

Donegal

And what did your therapist say, Mariah?  ;)

Donegal is what it is. Maybe you're used to Sun kissed Tenerife with everything laid on for you.

Been in Downings loads of times. Great for relaxing, golf, nice drives, beach, walks, eating out etc.

I'm surprised you didn't take a few euros cash with you. Not everyone takes card, thankfully. Burger vans, pitch and putt, corner shops, ice cream vans, those are things kids usually want and few of those wouldn't have cards. Plan ahead, man.

By the way, isn't it protocol now that hedges aren't cut while birds are nesting in summer?

Helix.

Heading to Chicago for 4 nights shortly. Any dos and don'ts greatly appreciated 👍🏻

GetOverTheBar

Iceland lads,

Yah or nay....

general

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 20, 2019, 12:08:29 PM
Iceland lads,

Yah or nay....

Yay - bring plenty of money as its very expensive. Fantastic experience all the same.

Ty4Sam

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 20, 2019, 12:08:29 PM
Iceland lads,

Yah or nay....

Yay, fantastic place but very expensive. Do plenty of research before you head, theres loads of tips etc. on the internet.
I hired a car and stayed in an Air B&B which I would recommend if you are confident enough driving on country roads on a foreign country. My best tip if you are doing that....at the baggage reclaim in Keflavik airport, go into the duty free shop and buy whatever alcohol you may need for your stay. A lot cheaper than in Reykjavik and works well if you are staying in an Air B&B rather than a hotel.

tbrick18

Quote from: Helix. on September 20, 2019, 10:27:37 AM
Heading to Chicago for 4 nights shortly. Any dos and don'ts greatly appreciated 👍🏻

It's been a while since I've been there but:
Visit the Hancock centre instead of Sears tower. You can actually go higher and it has a tilting viewing gallery which is good.
Go to the House of Blues, even if you're not into blues. Its some spot.
There's some very rough areas in the city, black suburbs where a white guy sticks out like a sore thumb and they can be dangerous. So don't walk where you don't know.
Be careful of the taxi's, rip you off in a heartbeat (drivers are nearly all Russian from memory).
People are nice.
Check the weather....starting to get into the cooler time of year. I've been there with -30s wind chill.