Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7655841.stm

I see Vitali Klitschko won back his WBC title after a 3 years break. That's the WBC, IBF and WBO titles in the family. They've vowed never to fight each other but I assume there'd be a fortune on the table if they were willing to. David Haye the next challenger for Vitali?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ardmhachaabu08

dont think he wants to fight haye. haye has some punch but he has a tricky enough fight coming up that he needs to win before he can think of klitschko. the cruiserweights couldnt deal with haye but some of these guys are over 16 stone and also can hit hard...will be interesting to see if haye has a chin or is he another glass-jaw like khan :):)   bout time some1 taught him a lesson
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann

Rav67

Haye's been pestering Vitali's brother who'd be no1 at the minute for a fight, probably around 3 fights down the line though.  There's another up-and-coming boy who looks the part in the heavyweight division, I think he's Russian called Povetkin or something like that so hopefully Haye will get a crack at him.

bridgegael

bernard hopkins hammered kelly pavlik last night on points,  i had him winning every round.  thought pavlik would have won this,  and it just shows that hopkins has still got it!  that will be the end to pavlik/calzaghe fight.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

TacadoirArdMhacha

Was that at middle or supper middle? Does Pavlik still have a title?

Wonder is there any chance of Pavlik having another look at Duddy? Did the possible Duddy Forrest Light-middle title fight ever get arranged?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bennydorano

I thought I read somewhere that Duddy dropped down a weight ???

bridgegael

should have said,  it was at light heavy.  after the fight hopkins went over to pavliks corner and more or less told him to stay at super middleweight where he would never be beaten.  light heavy is a step to far for pavlik.

i think duddys next fight is at a weight between middle and light middle and then he is going to fight light middleweight from then on.  i could be wrong though.

glens73

Quote from: bridgegael on October 19, 2008, 01:03:04 PM
should have said,  it was at light heavy.  after the fight hopkins went over to pavliks corner and more or less told him to stay at super middleweight where he would never be beaten.  light heavy is a step to far for pavlik.

i think duddys next fight is at a weight between middle and light middle and then he is going to fight light middleweight from then on.  i could be wrong though.

It's middleweight that B-Hop told Pavlik to go back to, that's where he holds 3 of the belts, he was stepping up 10lbs for this fight, as middleweight is 160 and this fight was at a catchweight of 170, 2lbs above super-middleweight. B-Hop also told him not to let this fight destroy him, it could well do mentally. B-Hop was superb and took Pavlik to school, masterful performance which you couldn't help but appreciate and I never really liked the guy before, thought he was too negative. His timing and his distance were superb, Pavlik couldn't figure him out.

Rav67

Fair play to B-Hop at 43 to beat such a young top-rated fighter, I like most others thought Pavlik would beat him comfortably enough.  A good result for Calzaghe too, who can now beat RJJ and happily retire without getting criticised for avoiding Pavlik.

bridgegael

100% right rav great result for calzaghe,  if he beats jones jr where do you think that will put him in the 'all time greats' bracket??  retired unbeaten is some acheivement.

downredblack

Just landed 4 tickets to the Calzaghe v Jones fight (Yesssssssssss) anyone ever been to Madison Square Garden ? What's it like ? atmosphere , views etc

Davitt Man

whats the story with Setanta for Roy Jones Jr fight, can you just order Setanta for the fight

full back

AFAIK, it is a £15 connection fee for Setanta & you have to take it for a minimum of 2 months @ £10 a month

lurganblue

but is the fight not extra on top of that contract? i dont have setanta but thats the way i understood it to be

milltown row

i fancy Calzaghe to win this fight. far better boxer than most people think. Jones was knocked out in his last fight, nearing 40 now

i'd say a fitter Calzaghe will put him away before the tenth round