Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2008, 11:49:54 PM
Thon boy isn't as good a boxer but is a pure machine.

Its a good job he had them washboard abs to absorb the punches  ;)
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Treasurer

Quote from: ludermor on July 19, 2008, 11:47:09 PM
Fair play to Lee well on top.
What is the story with his tattoo?

From an interview with Lee...

"The tattoo is a long story, I have had it a few years now, it's something I always wanted to for myself and my own personal beliefs and it was kind of an end result of a transition I was going through. It is a little hard to explain really, but it was just something I wanted to get for myself and it will be there for life and it is there to remind me to be grateful for what I have, really. "

Shamrock Shore

Lee's tattoo looks like he had a run-in with the Borg from Star Trek.

Amazing to see so many children there.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 20, 2008, 12:02:06 AM
Amazing to see so many children there.

Boxing is on the way back in, it was not as popular there for a few years but has definately gained interest again i think ever since the Hatton vs Mayweather fight in November.  The build up was so big for that particular fight that everyone in the world basically knew about it.  Great to see the boxing gaining its popularity back, a lot of people where beginning to take in the hype that was UFC and these cage wars, in my opinion these combats sports have not got shit on a good boxing match...still the best combat sport there is.  The world welterweight division at the moment is top class and hopefully Haye moving up to Heavyweight can restore some hype in that division.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

glens73

Absolute corker between Margarito and Cotto.

A surprise result I thought.

Margarito was relentless, he got hit with some cracking punches but he just walked through them, he's like a machine.

bridgegael

Quote from: glens73 on July 27, 2008, 09:22:56 AM

Margarito was relentless, he got hit with some cracking punches but he just walked through them, he's like a machine.

raging i missed this fight.  had alarm set for to get up and watch it. don't know wat happened, slept in.  just caught the last couple of minutes of coverage,  it seemed that cotto quit very easily.  i could be wrong here but thats wat it looked like. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

glens73

Quote from: bridgegael on July 27, 2008, 10:39:31 AM
Quote from: glens73 on July 27, 2008, 09:22:56 AM

raging i missed this fight.  had alarm set for to get up and watch it. don't know wat happened, slept in.  just caught the last couple of minutes of coverage,  it seemed that cotto quit very easily.  i could be wrong here but thats wat it looked like. 

He didn't quit easily, you'll see that if you watch a replay. Margarito was relentless. Cotto outboxed him for the first half of the fight and was avoiding getting hit, he appeared like he was going to win comfortably on points. Cotto was hitting Margarito with some cracking shots but he just walked through them and eventually ground him down. In the 7th Margarito hurt Cotto and even though he got a bit of a second wind in the next round or two Margarito just kept coming and it appeared like he broke Cotto's nose as he was struggling to breathe, I read a comment on another forum saying that his jaw was broken, I'm not too sure if that's true, but his face looked bad, like what he had done to most of his opposition in the past.

Cotto could have had a sledgehammer in the ring and he wouldn't have ko'd Margarito, the guy must have one of the hardest chins in the history of boxing.

All in all a wonderful fight, and although I have gotten into MMA over the past few years and really like it, a great boxing contest is much better to watch.

bridgegael

like i said all i saw was cotto going to his knees twice,  fight is on now again at 12 but will miss it due to football.  this will prob put an end for people calling for cotto/mayweather fight.

was watching setanta, steve bunce is not wise in the head!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

glens73

Quote from: bridgegael on July 27, 2008, 11:52:15 AM
like i said all i saw was cotto going to his knees twice,  fight is on now again at 12 but will miss it due to football.  this will prob put an end for people calling for cotto/mayweather fight.

was watching setanta, steve bunce is not wise in the head!!

Steve Bunce is very entertaining and usually close to the mark. The majority of pundits are boring, he always makes you laugh at some point.

There is a Steve Bunce Boxing Hour on each Thursday on Setanta.

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

full back

Anyone hear that Khan is considering stepping up to fight Hatton at some stage next year?
Would Khan be too fast for him or would Ricky be far too strong for him?

The Iceman

would be a big mistake for khan but i think this is pure speculation  - even khan isnt that stupid
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Rav67

Quote from: full back on August 20, 2008, 03:08:23 PM
Anyone hear that Khan is considering stepping up to fight Hatton at some stage next year?
Would Khan be too fast for him or would Ricky be far too strong for him?

Khan said he plans to move up to light-welter in a year or so and said he would like to fight Hatton.  Don't think his glass chin would hold up well to Hatton, but you never know as Ricky's lifestyle is bound to catch up with him at his age now, 30/31 is old enough for fighters of that weight.  One thing's for certain, they could smash a few stadium records with the tickets they could sell, I'd guess they'd be able to sell out Wembley as the media hype would be massive.

orangeman

Darren Sutherland has lost his Olympic Middleweight semi-final to Great Britain's James DeGale by a score of 10-3. The Dubliner was simply outclassed on the day despite a brave effort, finishing the Games with a bronze medal.

Sutherland and DeGale both started the tie with extreme caution, feeling each other out and waiting to work out each other's tactics.

Both fighters held close guards in round one and only managed to offload one score each leaving it at 1-1.

Round two was a similar story with Sutherland playing a waiting game looking for gaps in DeGale's armour.

A sweetly placed right cross punch put DeGale into a 2-1 lead. The second round was extremely cagey; the familiarity the two fighters share after five fights had bred ultra caution.

Just prior to the end of the second round, Sutherland lost another point to yet another DeGale right hand leaving the score at 3-1.

The third round was where the fight was won for DeGale. Sutherland was yet again too cautious and was throwing punches off the back foot too far from Degale to cause any damage.

DeGale then saw his opportunity to strike. With a flurry of combination punches DeGale soared into a 4-1 lead. Then with Sutherland struggling to land a punch at all, DeGale's left hook crept through Sutherland's sometimes disappointing guard to leave the score at 8-1.

Sutherland pulled a point back at the end of the round, leaving the score 8-2.

In the fourth round the tie was all but over barring a knock-out. Sutherland finally came out of his reverie and began to attack DeGale, alas it was too little too late.

DeGale - sensing the tie was won - danced away the last 2 minutes. However, the impressive Briton still had the opportunity to land two more snappy left jabs to leave the final score at 10-3.

Sutherland's tactics were exposed in the semi-final; after what was a wonderful Games for the Dorset Street fighter. However, the Dub announced this was only the beginning after the fight, stating that he now intends to go professional.

Hardy

So Navan is now in Dublin.