Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

hard to tell, he needs to ditch all the hanger on's on really focus on his boxing.  listening to radio 5 live a few of them saying there where plenty of british fighters that he could have fought but did not as khan thought prescott would be easier
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Hurler on the Bitch

Point is that pro boxing is a different game from the 'nice' world of amateur boxing. There is only so many you can fool until you are found out.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Talk about a glass jaw (or, as it seems to be called now, at least by Jim Watt, poor "punch resistance"  ::))! The punch that nailed him was on the button, yet didn't seem to be that powerful, but he never recovered from it and his knees were still wobbling half a minute later.

longball

Why did he go running into a man who had knocked out 17 of his 19 opponents before the Khan fight???  To eagar to impress the fans with a quick & flashy start, he will think twice before running out the corner at the bell again.  A little more brains needed Amir!!!  Frank Warren looked like he was going just tear shreds out of thge trainer after the fight.  Id like to be a fly of the wall in that meeting room after the fight!!!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

screenmachine

Typical british media hype building someone up way above their own current ability...Khan has fought absolutely no-one up until know and has been seen as the great white hope (excuse the racial differentiation).  Personally after listening to all the rubbish at every major sporting event, it makes me want to see british sports personnel fail at everything they do, ie. football,boxing, cricket, etc.  Not because of the actual sports people but because of the media and the whole idea that if your british you are automatically that bit better than everyone else in the sporting arena...Stick to fighting no-hopers Amir, its about all your fit for at this stage when you can't take a few slaps from a nobody... ;) ;)
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

glens73

I am glad I didn't pay £14.95 for that.

You can't build mucles on your chin, and it showed last night that the first time Khan faced a puncher he got destroyed. Limond, not a hard puncher, alomost stopped him.

It may well do him good this beating, he was believing his own publicity

Out of the publice eye for a while with a good deal of hard work and much more intelligent boxing in future is what is needed if he has got that in him. He has the skills but if he can't defend himself properly, he's going nowhere.

Rav67

Warren made a point in the interview of saying that they had someone else lined up to fight who then pulled out but Khan's new trainer then suggested this Prescott guy- obviously distancing himself from this choice of opponent and showing his anger that a big puncher had been chosen at this stage.  He then said big decisions would have to be made and he'd be sitting down with Khan's team this week, I'd expect he'll be looking to get rid of the Cuban trainer.

Given that they were talking up Khan to fight for a world title in 2008 back at the start of the year, they should accept that they were going to have to throw him in at some stage against someone who can punch, and bear in mind this fella was way down the rankings although he had shown good potential.  At least he's only 21 and has plenty of time on his side but there is serious doubts as to whether he can ever fight at world level with a chin like that.

gerry

Amir Khan last night proved that Muslims don't drink, when he failed to get a round in.

gerry

What do Amir Khan and TB have in common?

One jab and it's all over.

Carmen Stateside

Had not seen Kahn fight till Saturday but had got sucked into the media hype   :D FFS seen better efforts outside the Glenavon on a Sunday night! 

Wee Roddy

Carmen Stateside I seen you in action outside the Glenavon back in the day ;) You would have timbered the head of Khan ye boy ye

Carmen Stateside

The Iceman

happy to see khan get a reality check - i honestly think he believed his own hype - just wish Prescott hadn't knocked him out so early and really punished him over a number of rounds
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

the Deel Rover

Bernard dunne is coming back to castlebar again went the last time and really enjoyed the night would be nice to see Henry Coyle box for the 1st time as a professional on home soil

Tuesday, 07 October 2008 
Dunne and Coyle set for Breaffy bouts

Austin Garvin

BERNARD Dunne is heading back to the Breaffy House Resort on Saturday, November 15 for the next Hunky Dorys Fight Night, which is being promoted by Brian Peters Promotions in association with Hennessy Sports. At a glittering press conference held at Breaffy International Sports Hotel on Thursday afternoon, Brian Peters outlined details of the forthcoming promotion.
Obviously delighted with the success of his April promotion at the same venue, Peters has decided to return with a star-studded show, which has the added attraction of Geesala's Henry 'The Western Warrior' Coyle appearing on the card.
The popular Geesala man has been based in Chicago since turning professional 18 months ago, and has yet to fight on home soil. His presence on the bill should ensure a huge following from the Erris area. His farewell bout in Geesala as an amateur drew over a thousand patrons to the tournament.
Also set to appear on the Hunky Dorys Fight Night are welterweight prospects John O'Donnell and Stephen Haughian.
Henry Coyle, who together with his father Gerry, received a great welcome at last week's press event, says he will be fulfilling a lifetime's ambition when he steps between the ropes at the Breaffy House Resort
"It's always been a dream of mine to fight as a pro in Ireland," explained Coyle who has won eight of his nine pro fights by knockout. "To get a chance right here in Mayo is the icing on the cake. The last time I fought at home was for my very last amateur fight, so it will be great to come back as a professional now."
Coyle will be having his first scheduled ten-rounder on the card, which is headlined by Bernard Dunne.
"It's going to be some night," predicted former Irish senior champion Coyle, "and I'll be looking to put on a big show. I've worked a lot on sitting down on my punches and I'm definitely punching a lot harder now. I think when you make the move into the pros your life really is dedicated to boxing, so it's only natural you'll start to improve in every area."
It hasn't all been plain sailing for Coyle, who suffered the lone defeat of his career in his third fight when he was stopped by Omar Bell. Coming to terms with the defeat was far more difficult that he could have imagined.
"It was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with", admitted Coyle. "It was the first time I've ever been down in my life. I got back up and I felt I was okay to continue, but the referee didn't give me that chance. If I'd been allowed to continue that night, I'm certain I would have had my hand raised at the end of the night, but the referee made the call and I accept that,"
For Dunne the November 15 fight will mark a return to the venue where he got his career back on track following his shock defeat to Kiko Martinez. He was warmly welcomed to the Breaffy venue for the first ever night of professional boxing in Mayo as he out-pointed former world champion, Felix Machado in an impressive return to winning ways. Since then the Neilstown man has notched up another win against Argentina's Damian Marchiano in July to bring his record to 25 wins against just one defeat.
Manager Brian Peters believes Dunne could be just one fight away from a world title fight.
"We're working on a shortlist of opponents at the moment," he confirmed. "We want someone who is really going to test Bernard so that he will prove he's ready to step up to world title level.
"There's no doubt the defeat to Martinez set us back about 12 months, but Bernard has had two good wins since then. He's now world ranked by the WBA, the WBC and the WBO, so we're pretty much back on track in terms of positioning Bernard for a world title fight."
Peters told the press conference that current world champions at both featherweight and super bantamweight have already made enquiries as to Dunne's availability.
"We actually turned down a world title opportunity for Bernard earlier this year because we felt it had come too soon, but if we can win impressively in Breaffy next month he'll be ready for anyone," said the promoter.
The card will also feature the return of Tyrone welterweight, Damien Taggart. The Omagh man will be hoping to take inspiration from his mentor, Tyrone's All-Ireland-winning football manager Mickey Harte who was in attendance at the press conference, as he bids to get back on track following his first defeat of his career.
Another man hoping to do great things is Sheffield teenager Steve 'The Blue Steel Bullet' Barnes. The talented 17-yea- old is a protégé of legendary Dublin-born trainer Brendan Ingle, who believes he could prove to be one of his greatest ever finds.
Amongst those in attendance at the press conference was Castlebar man Seán Horkan, who is Ireland's most successful ever team manager, having seen Michael Carruth and Wayne McCullogh win gold and silver medals respectively.
Tickets for the Hunky Dorys Fight, priced from €60, went on sale on Friday, from Ticketmaster outlets, including Downtown Records, Castlebar and Hotshot Records, Ballina.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001