The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 08:19:22 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 31, 2020, 04:29:05 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 09:14:22 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 31, 2020, 05:12:44 AM

Its seems like your just reverting to irrelevant retoric. I get it you dont like trump and think hes the akin to the worst regimes in history.
You dont want to know anything about the grievances that he seized upon to gain power. Until those are addressed you wont deal with the symptoms. But I get it, it's messy more difficult to understand no good solutions, easier to demonise which is a guaranteed non solution
The reason you claim what I say is "irrelevant" is that you don't suffer in any way from racism perpetrated by whites.

And thus you have taken a stance that it is entirely irrelevant to you.

In other words, your stance is "I'm alright, Jack, racism is fine, as long as I'm not the victim of it."

Belief in white supremacism is not a "grievance", as you claim.

Inequality of wealth and life chances is a grievance.

Which precisely nobody in the Republican party has any intention of dealing with - Republican ideology is based on perpetuating it - and which Trump has made exponentially worse.

Anybody who genuinely cared about wealth inequality would be all in for preogressive candidates, of which precisely none exist in the Republican party.

Trump cares less than nothing for poor people. He cares only about channelling wealth to the very richest in society. He is an elite plutocrat fascist with a literal dystopian "burn it down" vision of society, backed monetarily by people of the exact same mindset.

I get it exactly about people like you. And that's what bothers you and others like you here.

You can come up with all the excuses in the world for the reasons you think like you do, but you won't find a legitimate one, you'll only find a fake rationalisation for your own bigotry.

I'm curious.... what is my "stance"? And on what exactly?

Just for reference..I was calling out your vitriol and unwillingness to understand root causes of political phenomenons like the current populist nationalism sweeping the world. I never expressed any opinion on that political movement.... so what exactly makes me a bigot?
Your stance is that you have called discussion of the racism of the Trump regime irrelevant. You attempt to see nuance on an issue over which there is none. Racism is an evil cancer. Racism is endemic in America. White America still cannot come to terms with its evil past or present. It has chosen to perpetuate racism.

What are the so called "legitimate grievances" which justify the rise of American fascism?

I understand the root causes of current day fascist movements like Trump just fine, thanks.

They are they exact same in nature as those which led to the rise of the Nazis.

It isn't difficult. You whip up an ethnic majority into a mob, and blame economic hardship and all of society's ills on an "out group", or out groups. You tell the ethnic majority that their identity is under threat because of the existence of these out groups. And that's basically it. There's not much more to understand. Facism is naked hatred. Fascism is a con trick and people who vote for Trump are the prey of a con trickster.

Nobody has yet been able to say why I'm wrong on this. They can't, because I'm entirely right.

Your just reverting to your irrevlevant retoric... you keep banging this drum about Trump while I'm not contradicting you. It's called a straw man but to be honest you have committed virtually every logical fallacy in the book that there is little point having a discussion with you.

The only discusion I was having was about you painting everyone and everyone with the same facist brush if they differentiate or even question you,  All this is despite not knowing be willing to understand why people think the way they do. If that makes me a bigot in your book youve lost any logical flow to your train of thought. In fact your  posts are so lacking logic, full of retoric and ad hominem that you might find you have more on common with Trump than you think ;-)

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on May 31, 2020, 09:31:54 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 31, 2020, 08:24:56 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 08:01:09 PM
Trump says he is designating "Antifa" as a terrorist organisation.

But there is no organisation called Antifa.

"Antifa" simply stands for anti-fascist.

So now, being anti-fascist will not just be banned, but will be classed as being terrorism.

Certain posters here might be good enough to now apologise for consistently denying that the Trump regime is fascist.

Because Trump has literally gone and proved my analysis entirely right.

And it feels shit to be right.

This is what gets me. Antifa has been built up by its enemies to be something a lot more than it is ffs. A terrorist organisation. What a joke

Should be fun trying to prove membership in court.

And of course he hadn't a f**king word to say about the militia fuckwits taking over statehouses with grenade launchers and assault rifles.

This country is heading for a split if things continue as they are.
any of these guys who are from out of state and are arrested for property damage or looting should get a hefty sentence best way to stop organized looting.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 30, 2020, 10:18:38 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 17, 2020, 09:59:06 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 24, 2020, 08:17:15 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2020, 04:59:46 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 13, 2020, 08:04:29 PM
Okay, sorry for the mishap with the last one, I've fixed it below, and the latest odds are at the bottom:

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 12, 2020, 07:36:24 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 11, 2020, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 09, 2020, 05:45:48 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 08, 2020, 01:35:58 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 02, 2020, 06:30:02 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2020, 06:17:47 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 27, 2020, 08:43:14 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 25, 2020, 04:56:59 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 24, 2020, 01:00:17 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2020, 05:25:27 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 20, 2020, 10:40:56 PM
Delegate count:
Buttigieg 22
Sanders 21
Warren 8
Klobuchar 7
Biden 6
Bloomberg 0

Betting odds for 2020 winner:

Trump 8/13
Sanders 4/1
Bloomberg 9/1
Biden 20/1

Bloomberg took a hiding last night. He was like a duck out of water. Warren obliterated him. Will be interesting to see how that affects the polling numbers over the next few days, and if his high burn rate can take the bad look off it. I just wish he'd get out of the race and put his money into something useful like flipping the 4 senate seats we're going to need.
Odds update:
Trump: 8/13
Sanders: 7/2 (3.5/1)
Bloomberg: 8/1
Biden: 22/1

Bernie's odds moving in the right direction. Biden, not so much.

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 1/1
Bloomberg: 4/1
Buttigieg:8/1
Biden: 9/1

Update:
Delegate count:
Sanders 31
Buttigieg 22
Warren 8
Biden 8
Klobuchar 7
Bloomberg 0

2020 winner:
Sanders: 3/1
Bloomberg: 10/1
Biden: 25/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 5/6
Buttigieg:11/1
Biden: 11/1

Interesting that Chrome still thinks "Buttigieg" is a typo.

2020 winner:
Sanders: 29/10 (2.9/1)
Bloomberg: 10/1
Biden: 28/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 4/5
Biden: 10/1
Buttigieg:12/1

2020 winner:
Bloomberg: 12/1
Biden: 12/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 10/11
Biden: 4/1
Bloomberg: 11/2
Buttigieg:20/1

Bloomberg and Buttigeig getting it tight.

Bernie's odds are slipping slightly in the general election, but he's still the favourite to get the nomination.

2020 winner:
Sanders: 10/3 (3.3/1)
Biden: 9/1
Bloomberg: 12/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 10/11
Biden: 13/4
Bloomberg: 6/1
Buttigieg:20/1

This stock market crash might throw a spanner in the works. It was this kind of October surprise that worked in Obama's favor in 2008 when "the fundamentals of our economy [were] strong" until they weren't. Trump might cruise to reelection if the economy stays strong, but the coronavirus could change all that.

Get in there Bernie!

Delegate count:
Sanders: 58
Biden: 50
Buttigeig: 26 (I wonder what happens to delegates after a candidate pulls out)
Warren: 8
Klobuchar: 7

2020 winner:
Trump: 4/6
Biden: 13/2 (6.5/1)
Bloomberg: 16/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 1/1
Biden: 5/2
Bloomberg: 7/1
Hillary Clinton(!): 33/1

This is the first we've seen Trump's odds moving in a while. Could be the coronavirus effect. Damned if I know why they're showing odds for Hillary instead of the likes of Warren or Klobuchar who are actually in the race.

Delegate count:
Biden 664
Sanders 573

2020 winner:
Trump: 4/5
Biden: 13/8 (1.6/1)
Sanders: 16/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/7
Sanders: 9/1

2020 winner:
Trump: 10/11
Biden: 6/4
Sanders: 18/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/8

Trump getting it tight. Looking good for Biden if these odds keep moving the way they are. If he puts Warren on his ticket as VP, that should pick up enough Bernie supporters in November. This could be the light at the end of the tunnel.

Delegate count:
Biden 664
Sanders 573

2020 winner:
Trump: 4/5
Biden: 13/8 (1.6/1)
Sanders: 16/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/7
Delegate count:
Biden 857
Sanders 709

2020 winner:
Trump: 10/11 (1/1.1)
Biden: 13/10 (1.3/1)
Sanders: No longer in the top 4

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/14
Sanders: 40/1

2020 winner:
Trump: 1/1
Biden: 15/13
Sanders: 50/1
Deval Patrick: 50/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/16
Sanders: 33/1

The trend is unmistakable.

2020 winner:
Trump: 11/10
Biden: 11/10
Sanders: 33/1
Deval Patrick: 33/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/12
Sanders: 25/1

Game over for Trump, it seems. Although it's a long way to November, but I'm not sure how he can come back from this. He can't lie or spin his way out of this. Not even Fox News can help him when the dead start piling up.

From what I saw of the debate it looked like Bernie was knocking it out of the park while Joe was wandering off into the weeds.  Still, Bernie seems to be getting it tight now.

2020 winner:
Trump: 11/10
Mike Pence: 33/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/12

Funny old game.

2020 winner:
Trump: 1/1

WTF is the matter with people?

2020 winner:
Trump: 10/11
Biden: 5/4

Seems like Trump's lash-out-at-the-media-and-shoot-the-messenger strategy is paying off.

But if Biden does get in somehow, I could see him serving one term and then someone like Newsom having a go.

I wouldn't write Biden off yet. It's a long way to November and a lot of dead bodies are going to be piled up between now and then thanks to Donald. A lot will depend on how successful he is in shifting blame away from himself. He'll take credit for anything that goes right and deflect blame for anything that goes wrong, which will play well with the religious crowd who are used to doing that sort of thing with God. I don't know if it'll be enough with swing voters though.
Well well well. Trump starting to get it tight again. Maybe his supporters are dropping dead with the virus.

2020 winner:
Trump 1/1
Biden 5/4

Wheisht! Trump getting it tight now.

2020 winner:
Trump: 11/10 (1.1/1)
Biden: 15/13 (1.15/1)

whitey

So now, being anti-fascist will not just be banned, but will be classed as being terrorism.

Certain posters here might be good enough to now apologise for consistently denying that the Trump regime is fascist.

This is what gets me. Antifa has been built up by its enemies to be something a lot more than it is ffs. A terrorist organisation. What a joke

I'm sure there's some logic behind the designation

I'd say it's allows them to have federal Agents go undercover. I'd guess there might also be some asset forefeiture angle

Some people are going to do serious time if they don't cool their jets.

I saw some girl from the Catskills is facing attempted murder charges for throwing a petrol bomb into an NYPD cruiser

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 03:51:53 PM
Donald Trump has 3% (three per cent) support among blacks. There's a damn good chance you'd get a higher percentage of Catholics voting for the DUP.

We are so lucky to have several posters here, on a GAA discussion board, of all things, telling pretty much the entirety of black America that it doesn't know what it's talking about.

"Whitey" knows best, eh.

When did I do that?

J70

Quote from: Gmac on May 31, 2020, 09:41:50 PM

And of course he hadn't a f**king word to say about the militia fuckwits taking over statehouses with grenade launchers and assault rifles.

any of these guys who are from out of state and are arrested for property damage or looting should get a hefty sentence best way to stop organized looting.

Yep, whether antifa or the Hawaiian shirt brigade or whoever.

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 31, 2020, 09:38:28 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 08:19:22 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 31, 2020, 04:29:05 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 09:14:22 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 31, 2020, 05:12:44 AM

Its seems like your just reverting to irrelevant retoric. I get it you dont like trump and think hes the akin to the worst regimes in history.
You dont want to know anything about the grievances that he seized upon to gain power. Until those are addressed you wont deal with the symptoms. But I get it, it's messy more difficult to understand no good solutions, easier to demonise which is a guaranteed non solution
The reason you claim what I say is "irrelevant" is that you don't suffer in any way from racism perpetrated by whites.

And thus you have taken a stance that it is entirely irrelevant to you.

In other words, your stance is "I'm alright, Jack, racism is fine, as long as I'm not the victim of it."

Belief in white supremacism is not a "grievance", as you claim.

Inequality of wealth and life chances is a grievance.

Which precisely nobody in the Republican party has any intention of dealing with - Republican ideology is based on perpetuating it - and which Trump has made exponentially worse.

Anybody who genuinely cared about wealth inequality would be all in for preogressive candidates, of which precisely none exist in the Republican party.

Trump cares less than nothing for poor people. He cares only about channelling wealth to the very richest in society. He is an elite plutocrat fascist with a literal dystopian "burn it down" vision of society, backed monetarily by people of the exact same mindset.

I get it exactly about people like you. And that's what bothers you and others like you here.

You can come up with all the excuses in the world for the reasons you think like you do, but you won't find a legitimate one, you'll only find a fake rationalisation for your own bigotry.

I'm curious.... what is my "stance"? And on what exactly?

Just for reference..I was calling out your vitriol and unwillingness to understand root causes of political phenomenons like the current populist nationalism sweeping the world. I never expressed any opinion on that political movement.... so what exactly makes me a bigot?
Your stance is that you have called discussion of the racism of the Trump regime irrelevant. You attempt to see nuance on an issue over which there is none. Racism is an evil cancer. Racism is endemic in America. White America still cannot come to terms with its evil past or present. It has chosen to perpetuate racism.

What are the so called "legitimate grievances" which justify the rise of American fascism?

I understand the root causes of current day fascist movements like Trump just fine, thanks.

They are they exact same in nature as those which led to the rise of the Nazis.

It isn't difficult. You whip up an ethnic majority into a mob, and blame economic hardship and all of society's ills on an "out group", or out groups. You tell the ethnic majority that their identity is under threat because of the existence of these out groups. And that's basically it. There's not much more to understand. Facism is naked hatred. Fascism is a con trick and people who vote for Trump are the prey of a con trickster.

Nobody has yet been able to say why I'm wrong on this. They can't, because I'm entirely right.

Your just reverting to your irrevlevant retoric... you keep banging this drum about Trump while I'm not contradicting you. It's called a straw man but to be honest you have committed virtually every logical fallacy in the book that there is little point having a discussion with you.

The only discusion I was having was about you painting everyone and everyone with the same facist brush if they differentiate or even question you,  All this is despite not knowing be willing to understand why people think the way they do. If that makes me a bigot in your book youve lost any logical flow to your train of thought. In fact your  posts are so lacking logic, full of retoric and ad hominem that you might find you have more on common with Trump than you think ;-)
You've literally just invented a straw man there.

And again, you dismiss the key point, that Trump cannot be discussed without focussing the racism and the fascism, as "irrelevant".

There are a lot of racists who think they are good people.

As soon as you admit that, we can move on.

sid waddell

Anti-fascism - "terrorism"

White supremacists, Nazis - "very good people"

sid waddell

Russia strongly desires the US to break apart the way the Soviet Union did.

So called "secessionist" movements have been heavily funded and promoted by Russia and staffed by Russian plants.

Trump's purpose is to make the US ungovernable.

Main Street

What would most likely happen in response should 500 or so heavily armed dark skinned folk, a Black America patriot rally of sorts, turn up at the Michigan capitol building and express their disapproval at the murder of yet another unarmed black man by the Minneapolis police.

Least likely I suppose would be a note of praise from the president.

sid waddell

Maybe it's time the police in America were designated as terrorists?

After all, they are infested with people who do fit the literal description of the word terrorist.

"a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

Certainly to many, many African-Americans, they are looked upon as such - and with much justification. Very similar to how the British Army were looked upon by Catholics in the North.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 11:28:42 PM

After all, they are infested with people who do fit the literal description of the word terrorist.

"a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

Certainly to many, many African-Americans, they are looked upon as such - and with much justification. Very similar to how the British Army were looked upon by Catholics in the North.

It's interesting to see how you can know how whole demographics groups of people that you've often never met before think and feel. Always seems to be in a sweeping homogeneous fashion also.

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 31, 2020, 11:42:00 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 31, 2020, 11:28:42 PM

It's interesting to see how you can know how whole demographics groups of people that you've often never met before think and feel. Always seems to be in a sweeping homogeneous fashion also.

Are you disputing that many African-Americans look upon police as the enemy?

Are you disputing that they have much justification for such?

Have you been following the news?

Have you been following American history?

sid waddell

Best healthcare in the wuddled:

https://twitter.com/jpm25/status/1266830912999710725

My wife is a healthcare worker and has gotten 3 COVID-19 tests over the last 2 months.  We got the bill for the first one today: $18,415 w/o insurance.

Gmac

57 people arrested in Miami last night 13 from Miami the chief of police just announced at a briefing