Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: southdown on March 24, 2013, 10:53:49 AM
What results do we need to go our way today?
We need mayo and kerry beat.
A kildare win over Tyrone will mean Tyrone will still need something against Kerry last day out.
Kildare u21 in leinster final 3 days after they come to Newry so if the get the semi spot today they wont be too concerned with a result in newry.
Not sure what score difference is now after last nights hiding.,

DaisyCutter

Its very difficult to be positive after last nights performance against a weakened Dublin side. Tore us to shreds for long periods In the second half.
Continued with kick outs to the middle of the park even though we were being totally cleaned out, instead of going short which would have worked well in the big open spaces of Croke Park.
We are more or less relegated after today's results as our score diff -19 while Mayo are -2 and Donegal are even. We need a Miracle.

extra time

kickouts were varied all game between short, medium to the wings and long down the middle. the kickout count shows that Down won 15 out of 25 of their own kickouts. In the 2nd half they won 9 out of 13 of their own kickouts. It was obvious that there was a system being used and it took Dublin a while to catch on in the 1st half. Short or quick kickouts is a two way thing between the keeper and the outfield players, with the onus being on the runners making space for the kick. One player making a run does not work. Some posters on here use this critisism every game, without really looking closely into what is happening out the field. Players walking back out after the ball has gone dead, not interested in the next ball, or pulling markers into the space that has been left for runners to go into. Most County teams have natural ball winners all over the pitch and kickouts are straightforward for these teams, but we dont have these type of players which is why the break ball is so important for us.

snoopdog

one of the main worries with Down is how far they fall away in the 2nd half of games. They arent on the same fitness level as the other teams in the top flight. whether this is a plan and they will seriously up the fitness for championship we can wait and see. But a year in divison 2 wont do any harm to this group of players.  Benny was well of the pace and looked very slow to me. I agree kickouts were varied, but McVeigh in 2nd half kicked a ball out to the flank straight into the arms of a dublin player and they got a point from it. So he needs to think about his kickouts, hard to believe sometimes he won an all star  but then you see the fantastic saves he also made on saturday night.
At this moment in time its not looking good for the trip to Derry in June. Even if we do get past that Tyrone or Donegal would cause many sleepless nights.

extra time

prob got an all star for some brill performances agst the likes of Kerry and Cork in 2010 amongst many others, but what the f'''k would i know. Short memories or what!!

snoopdog

Quote from: extra time on March 25, 2013, 03:17:16 PM
prob got an all star for some brill performances agst the likes of Kerry and Cork in 2010 amongst many others, but what the f'''k would i know. Short memories or what!!
[/quote

no problem with memory, he is a good keeper and a fantastic shotstopper, one of best around but his kickouts are poor. in my opinion a mix of his kick outs and poor decisions from the line lost us an All Ireland in 2010, apart from the early saves i dont think McVeigh will have fond memories of that all Ireland final.

does anyone keep an eye on the Aussie rules think it started this weekend. Anyword on Clarke and mooney?? I wonder what their chances are for this season. Be Clarkes 4th season dont think he was up to much last year so make or break for him this year, not etting any younger.Monne will have another while to prove himself.

western exile

Quote from: DaisyCutter on March 24, 2013, 04:30:13 PM
We are more or less relegated after today's results as our score diff -19 while Mayo are +2 and Donegal are even. We need a Miracle.

Yes, Down need to overcome a -19 points difference and hope that other results go their way.
So, a possible  "miracle" scenario is that we need ALL 3 of the following to happen in the next round:

1) Down beat Kildare by 10+ points  at Páirc Esler
2)  Dublin beat Donegal by 10+  at Ballybofey
3)  Tyrone beat Kerry by any score at Omagh

An alternate to 2) above that would also work, would be Cork beat Mayo by 12+  at  Páirc Uí Chaoimh  (provided of course that Down beat Kildare by 10+ and Tyrone beat Kerry)

Mid Down Gael

Who have been appointed managers for An Riocht and Warrenpoint this season?

razor

Mid Down Gael here is a list of managers.

2013 Managers

Division 1

Burren - Paddy Carr
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Saval - Darren Quinn
Longstone - Greg McCartan
Ballyholland - Shane Mulholland
Downpatrick - Paul Lambe
Rostrevor - Gerard Colgan
An Riocht -
Annaclone - John Morgan
Loughinisland - Kyran Smyth
Liatroim - Paddy O'Higgins
Mayobridge - Mickey Walsh/Eoghan Woods/Colin Laverty
Clonduff - Paul McShane/Tony Wilson
Castlewellan -
Warrenpoint - Conor Tinnelly

wildrover

Quote from: razor on March 27, 2013, 10:23:29 AM
Mid Down Gael here is a list of managers.

2013 Managers

Division 1

Burren - Paddy Carr
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Saval - Darren Quinn
Longstone - Greg McCartan
Ballyholland - Shane Mulholland
Downpatrick - Paul Lambe
Rostrevor - Gerard Colgan
An Riocht -
Annaclone - John Morgan
Loughinisland - Kyran Smyth
Liatroim - Paddy O'Higgins
Mayobridge - Mickey Walsh/Eoghan Woods/Colin Laverty
Clonduff - Paul McShane/Tony Wilson
Castlewellan -
Warrenpoint - Conor Tinnelly

Castlewellan - Shorty Treanor (Burren)

goldenyears

Conor Tinnelly is not the W point Manager I dont think. i think Kingdom have an inside man in charge, not sure who.

T O Hare

Is the fixtures out for the Feile on Easter Monday???
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

centre 3/4s

Well lads who are the fancied teams for the 3 divisions this season?

Has there been any tranfers this year ?

snoopdog

Lads, who is the Current U21 management team. Is it Burns and johnson?
for some reason i though it was Wee Pete.

NP 76

Yes it's Burns and Johnson but as they are all training together with the seniors I would think James has a say also