House insurance query

Started by theskull1, January 14, 2008, 03:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I was hoping someone with knowledge of insurance companies could help me out.

Father in law passed away a few years ago, and their house insurance was always in his name but my mother in law has never changed the name on the insurance policy and has simply renewed it in her deceased husband's name. She now wants to claim on the insurance for some damage caused by last week's high winds. Should it be straight forward for her to claim or is there a possibility that the insurance company will deny her claim on the basis that the policy holder has been deceased prior to renewal of the policy?

If so, what "work arounds" would you suggest to ensure her claim goes through hassle free?

She wants me to help her out with making the claim. I just want to make sure I'm well armed with the right knowledge before I phone the broker.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

maddog

Quote from: theskull1 on January 14, 2008, 03:32:34 PM
I was hoping someone with knowledge of insurance companies could help me out.

Father in law passed away a few years ago, and their house insurance was always in his name but my mother in law has never changed the name on the insurance policy and has simply renewed it in her deceased husband's name. She now wants to claim on the insurance for some damage caused by last week's high winds. Should it be straight forward for her to claim or is there a possibility that the insurance company will deny her claim on the basis that the policy holder has been deceased prior to renewal of the policy?

If so, what "work arounds" would you suggest to ensure her claim goes through hassle free?

She wants me to help her out with making the claim. I just want to make sure I'm well armed with the right knowledge before I phone the broker.

I have a mate rightly up in a leading insurance firm. Have asked the question and will get back to you shortly.

mackers

Skull, it depends how much she is claiming for. If it is less than £400/500 then the company will not send out a loss adjuster and thereby you could just sign the form in your father-in-law's name and the company would be none the wiser. If it's above this figure then they may send out a loss adjuster and there'll be more difficulties. Another thing to watch out for is that the claim cheque will be made payable to the policyholder normally, you'll have to work your way round that one too.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

maddog

"There should not be a problem with this as they were husband and wife. the policy will have to be amended to read in the lady's name. An insurer would be very harsh to try and get out of a contract on these grounds and in my opinion would not try this"

But he's from Cookstown so...... :P

theskull1

Thanks guy's for such a quick response

Think the cliam will be more than £400-500.

So do you think she (I) should be up front about this from the start?

Drumanee 1

should be no real problem,you will need a copy of the death cert though

mackers

You said you were dealing with a broker, have a word with them, if they are worth their salt they can suss the situation out for sure. It's one of the advantages of dealing with a broker rather than directly with a company. They can ring the company and without mentioning names or policy numbers they can ask the company what their attitude would be.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

theskull1

Cheers lads...really appreciate the advice

bigfrank

Sorry to hi jack this old thread but saves me opening a new one to ask a question.recently bought a new house and need to get house insurance,all advice or help welcomed.should I ring around it local area or just use go compare or a site of that type??

Rois

Some local brokers only have a few home insurance products so do your research on the aggregator sites  first, then phone local and see if they are comparable.
I like using brokers, but only when price is right.

redcard

Quote from: bigfrank on December 03, 2018, 05:57:09 PM
Sorry to hi jack this old thread but saves me opening a new one to ask a question.recently bought a new house and need to get house insurance,all advice or help welcomed.should I ring around it local area or just use go compare or a site of that type??

AXA or Abbey usually good places to start

Jeepers Creepers

Comparison websites if your in the occupied 6.

bigfrank

Appreciate the help,some of the forms/questions online are a bit confusing,I don't want to lie about something when I don't actually know the answer,il get something sorted

MoChara

I haven't used it myself but my was just telling me the other day about using Quidco to get his and he got  good bit off.

Rois

Quote from: bigfrank on December 03, 2018, 09:22:30 PM
Appreciate the help,some of the forms/questions online are a bit confusing,I don't want to lie about something when I don't actually know the answer,il get something sorted
Def don't do that (lie) - you will be found out. You could just call a local broker (Autoline if in NI) and they can help answer the questions that you don't know the answer to.