Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: referee on November 20, 2019, 06:05:31 PM
Quote from: Onthe40 on November 20, 2019, 04:10:55 PM
what about this Niall Gavin lad from Derrytresk? I see he's scooped top scorer a few seasons now..what age is he?
he must be 100
He was a Tyrone Minor in 2009. So hes around 27/28.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on November 20, 2019, 07:55:22 PM
what about this Niall Gavin lad from Derrytresk? I see he's scooped top scorer a few seasons now..what age is he?
he must be 100

Harte wont pick him then, the squad isn't picked on quality unfortunately, its picked on mainly you must be under a certain age and have potentional!
Ive been sayin it for years as most the county know, Mackers has to be on it if you want immediate improvement on the squad! In 2017 Conor O'Donnell was the best player in the county and shuda been on it the following year and wasn't, even now he's still Omagh's best player and instead RON is back on it

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on November 21, 2019, 10:51:38 AM
he must be 100

Harte wont pick him then, the squad isn't picked on quality unfortunately, its picked on mainly you must be under a certain age and have potentional!
Ive been sayin it for years as most the county know, Mackers has to be on it if you want immediate improvement on the squad! In 2017 Conor O'Donnell was the best player in the county and shuda been on it the following year and wasn't, even now he's still Omagh's best player and instead RON is back on it

Would Mackers and O'Donnell have joined the panel if asked and would they have committed to sticking at it for a couple of years? There's a reason Harte's policy is to mainly introduce young players with potential and that's because, even for the likes of these two who are stand out performers at club level, county football is a serious step up. It's rare to find someone who takes to it like a duck to water and has an exceptional first year. Therefore, it would not make sense for Harte to invite someone around the age of 30 to join the panel only for them to throw the head up and leave if they aren't a regular starter in their first year.

For what it's worth Coney (age 28/29) and Grugan (27) were both called up last year and my understanding is they will be back this season. So if they are good enough and prepared to stick at it they will get their chance to join the panel. I'd like to think Grugan will push on this year also, he had a few injury problems last year which didn't help his progress but did well in the Dublin game I thought and was impressive in the club championship when I saw him.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Angelo on November 20, 2019, 09:29:35 AM
From what's been said on here about the players called up:

Defenders:
Quinn
Kelly
O'Neill
Grimes

Midfield:
Kilpatrick

Forwards:
Kerr

I presume there will be more new faces too.
Very hard to know what impact these players will have but they will freshen up the squad I suppose.
I don't see ONeill or Kelly as an improvement on what is there, likely just make up the squad players like so many before them. Quinn likely in the same boat for a period but has lot of potential down the line, good to see him called up. Grimes I'm sure will be given plenty of opportunity, but I don't know if he could push Michael McKernan or Frank Burns for a starting place, I would fancy him to jump Tiernan McCann in the pecking order but.
Kilpatrick likely to get plenty of opportunities around the middle, an area with the least depth in the squad. Hopefully does well because we have been poor around the middle at times in recent years.
Kerr should also get chances of being the player off McShane, with Mattie injured and Skeet off the panel. Only leaves him and McCurry at present, would like to see him get a chance. But if the returns of Bradley, Brennan or ONeill happen, it would look like squad player stuff for Kerr to.

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on November 21, 2019, 11:15:42 AM
he must be 100

Would Mackers and O'Donnell have joined the panel if asked and would they have committed to sticking at it for a couple of years? There's a reason Harte's policy is to mainly introduce young players with potential and that's because, even for the likes of these two who are stand out performers at club level, county football is a serious step up. It's rare to find someone who takes to it like a duck to water and has an exceptional first year. Therefore, it would not make sense for Harte to invite someone around the age of 30 to join the panel only for them to throw the head up and leave if they aren't a regular starter in their first year.

For what it's worth Coney (age 28/29) and Grugan (27) were both called up last year and my understanding is they will be back this season. So if they are good enough and prepared to stick at it they will get their chance to join the panel. I'd like to think Grugan will push on this year also, he had a few injury problems last year which didn't help his progress but did well in the Dublin game I thought and was impressive in the club championship when I saw him.

Would agree with this.

Hopefully Coney and Grugan can make an impression this year.

I'm surprised to see O'Neill back, very much thought that his ship had sailed at intercounty level. I think he badly struggles with the physicality and athleticism required at this level but hopefully if he is back then he can add something extra.

Any word on Lee Brennan, I was very disappointed with the manner he left the team in last year so could understand if Harte hasn't given him the recall.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GaaFanatic123

he must be 100

Grugan and Coney called a meeting with Mickey last wkend and asked and have more game time and been promised more game time so they've stayed on, with them aswel they where on it before and Horse had a big say on Coney getting back on. A serious step up yes but not as big as most ppl think, the same step up that Niall Sludden made when he joined when he was the top performer in tyrone club  football at the time and made an immediate impact.
Tbh it shudnt be a matter "if they'll stick around" If certain men can help you win and push on even for 1 year then they shud be on it, if them being on lifts quality in training and matches even for 1 year then they shud be there!!

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 11:22:27 AM
he must be 100

Would agree with this.

I'm surprised to see O'Neill back, very much thought that his ship had sailed at intercounty level. I think he badly struggles with the physicality and athleticism required at this level but hopefully if he is back then he can add something extra.

Any word on Lee Brennan, I was very disappointed with the manner he left the team in last year so could understand if Harte hasn't given him the recall.
[/b]

Brennan left in the same manner as previous players like McCurry, Coney, Grugan and Oneil

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on November 21, 2019, 11:19:43 AM

Defenders:
Quinn
Kelly
O'Neill
Grimes

Midfield:
Kilpatrick

Forwards:
Kerr

Very hard to know what impact these players will have but they will freshen up the squad I suppose.
I don't see ONeill or Kelly as an improvement on what is there, likely just make up the squad players like so many before them. Quinn likely in the same boat for a period but has lot of potential down the line, good to see him called up. Grimes I'm sure will be given plenty of opportunity, but I don't know if he could push Michael McKernan or Frank Burns for a starting place, I would fancy him to jump Tiernan McCann in the pecking order but.
Kilpatrick likely to get plenty of opportunities around the middle, an area with the least depth in the squad. Hopefully does well because we have been poor around the middle at times in recent years.
Kerr should also get chances of being the player off McShane, with Mattie injured and Skeet off the panel. Only leaves him and McCurry at present, would like to see him get a chance. But if the returns of Bradley, Brennan or ONeill happen, it would look like squad player stuff for Kerr to.

Quinn looks like he has a year or two of filling out to do before making an impact at this level.

Grimes look physically ready for me, I'd be looking at giving him a go at corner back as he is a very tenacious player and if we're leaving more space at the back then we need men who can hound their marker.

Kelly is not someone who would have been on the radar for me and will likely be the latest player to get abuse because he's from the same club as the manager but let's see how he goes first before passing judgement.

I really rate M O'Neill and feel he could offer a lot in that half back line.

Kilpatrick is the player out of the new names I'd expect to have the biggest chance of playing a meaningful role cone Championship.

I haven't seen a lot of Kerr if I'm honest but certainly worth a look.

I would be hoping the likes of Grugan, Coney, Rafferty and Mulgrew can be making a big push for starting spots this year.

With the possibility/probability of Donnelly and Hampsey missing the league campaign then it opens up big opportunities for these guys.

GetOverTheBar

he must be 100

Would agree with this.

He'll be with Jordanstown until end of Sigerson presumably.

Angelo

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on November 21, 2019, 11:25:14 AM
he must be 100

Would agree with this.

[/b]

Brennan left in the same manner as previous players like McCurry, Coney, Grugan and Oneil

Incorrect, Brennan left mid Championship. Grugan had opted out at the start of the year when he left. Coney walked after the McKenna Cup and both O'Neill and McCurry left after the league. O'Neill's decision was very much an amicable one which he discussed with his manager before opting out.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 11:33:14 AM
he must be 100

Would agree with this.

[/b]

Incorrect, Brennan left mid Championship. Grugan had opted out at the start of the year when he left. Coney walked after the McKenna Cup and both O'Neill and McCurry left after the league. O'Neill's decision was very much an amicable one which he discussed with his manager before opting out.

Ok it is a bit different then, but hardly mattered if mid championship or not when your not involved, different if your a starting player and you walk away, he wasn't getting a look in at any game time at the time, and Im sure Harte wasn't too bothered. Also people speak of the manner he left, maybe he wasn't enjoying it, maybe things in life where hard to handle like with studys, sitting on a bench all the time, missing club football, sitting in at wkends when your club mates are getting to go out, we are all very quick to jump on mens back when different things could be running through their heads, I say fair play to him for walking away from it and leaving to improve. There are men there who we all know aren't not up to it or never will be and they need to go, maybe a few years away for some could help them

Angelo

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on November 21, 2019, 11:45:41 AM
Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 11:33:14 AM
he must be 100

Would agree with this.

[/b]

Ok it is a bit different then, but hardly mattered if mid championship or not when your not involved, different if your a starting player and you walk away, he wasn't getting a look in at any game time at the time, and Im sure Harte wasn't too bothered. Also people speak of the manner he left, maybe he wasn't enjoying it, maybe things in life where hard to handle like with studys, sitting on a bench all the time, missing club football, sitting in at wkends when your club mates are getting to go out, we are all very quick to jump on mens back when different things could be running through their heads, I say fair play to him for walking away from it and leaving to improve. There are men there who we all know aren't not up to it or never will be and they need to go, maybe a few years away for some could help them

Brennan should have stayed and battled for a jersey. After the Donegal debacle there would have been a good chance he would have his opportunity. He had started an All Ireland semi final 9 months to dropping off the panel.

I could understand O'Neill's case, he had little of a lookin over the past couple of years and dropped off after discussing it with his manager. I am surprised to see him back though, I think he will be in more or less the same situation but there is no lack of hunger in his case.

With Brennan I see a very talented forward who probably doesn't have the resolve to fight for his shirt. It may be harsh but that's what it looks like from the outside and players should be making that decision from the start of the year. After the league is too late and mid Championship is unacceptable.

skeog

RON is in the best shape of his life.Hopefully all his extra training will bear fruit.Sometimes a player improves greatly after taking time out like Ronan.

southtyronegael

Angelo, did you call conal Grimes a hound? As in hound of the Baskerville's? Good one.lol

Pearse Blue

Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 11:30:43 AM
Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on November 21, 2019, 11:19:43 AM

Defenders:
Quinn
Kelly
O'Neill
Grimes

Midfield:
Kilpatrick

Forwards:
Kerr

Quinn looks like he has a year or two of filling out to do before making an impact at this level.

Grimes look physically ready for me, I'd be looking at giving him a go at corner back as he is a very tenacious player and if we're leaving more space at the back then we need men who can hound their marker.

Kelly is not someone who would have been on the radar for me and will likely be the latest player to get abuse because he's from the same club as the manager but let's see how he goes first before passing judgement.

I really rate M O'Neill and feel he could offer a lot in that half back line.

Kilpatrick is the player out of the new names I'd expect to have the biggest chance of playing a meaningful role cone Championship.

I haven't seen a lot of Kerr if I'm honest but certainly worth a look.

I would be hoping the likes of Grugan, Coney, Rafferty and Mulgrew can be making a big push for starting spots this year.

With the possibility/probability of Donnelly and Hampsey missing the league campaign then it opens up big opportunities for these guys.
I can't see either Grugan or Coney getting a minute of championship football.. I think they have become traditional Micky squad and training players.

Can M O'Neill offer more than current half backs? I don't think so, could be proved wrong.

I believe Grimes will fit right in, corner back or half back.

Kerr is consistently better than some of the current forwards on the team (McCurry etc.) If he can keep himself injury free he will cause trouble for full backs with himself and McShane