UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Wouldnt worry too much about it either lads as it is only a tournament after all
I would be more concerned about Teletext which is listing Dublin playing Derry in Croke Park  ???

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: full back on January 12, 2009, 12:07:03 PM
Wouldnt worry too much about it either lads as it is only a tournament after all
I would be more concerned about Teletext which is listing Dublin playing Derry in Croke Park  ???

That report has been on UTV for nearly a year now!  ::)

Tbc....

Maguire01

Quote from: stiffler on January 11, 2009, 11:54:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 11, 2009, 05:26:08 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on January 11, 2009, 05:09:03 PM
Quote from: stiffler on January 11, 2009, 02:37:37 PM
Good updates on the bbc website for the mckenna cup today again i see  ::)

At least you can find out all the McKenna Cup scores and some of the small reports are up already. Credit where it's due to BBC.
Have you tried finding anything from RTE? They're a complete joke.

Exactly.
What are you talking about Stiffler? There are results up for all of the McKenna Cup matches and match reports up for 4 of them. There were also previews up for all games.
You have to make a real effort and go through Aertel to get anything on the RTÉ site.

What am i talking about?

I checked the bbc website during the games and there was no updates of scores from the mckenna cup games. Im sure it would not have been to hard for them to send 1 reporter to each ground that hosted a game on sunday, simply to update the latest scores, team line ups from each game.

Do you work for them or something? you seem to defend them alot ]. Sorry for my point of view  ::)
I don't work for them. My point is that BBC are really no worse that any of the other broadcasters, including RTÉ, yet they seem to be the easy target. I do agree that BBC could do better, especially in relation to their GAA content on Newsline, with its constant focus on the negative aspects, but their online coverage is spot-on.

I think that to expect a match-tracker for the McKenna Cup is taking it a bit too far. If you need to keep up to date, tune in to local online radio stations (e.g. northernsound.ie). Despite your complaint, BBC online is generally the first website to have results (and reports) for games involving Ulster teams.

You have to pick your fights. Negative coverage on Newsline is one. Poor league coverage on the radio and Championship on the TV may be another. Constant online updates on a McKenna Cup game isn't.

stiffler

I don't work for them. My point is that BBC are really no worse that any of the other broadcasters, including RTÉ, yet they seem to be the easy target. I do agree that BBC could do better, especially in relation to their GAA content on Newsline, with its constant focus on the negative aspects, but their online coverage is spot-on.

I think that to expect a match-tracker for the McKenna Cup is taking it a bit too far. If you need to keep up to date, tune in to local online radio stations (e.g. northernsound.ie). Despite your complaint, BBC online is generally the first website to have results (and reports) for games involving Ulster teams.

You have to pick your fights. Negative coverage on Newsline is one. Poor league coverage on the radio and Championship on the TV may be another. Constant online updates on a McKenna Cup game isn't.

Fair enough, BBC is no worse than utv or rte, but as the McKenna cup involves 6 counties and 3 universities from Northern ireland i would expect them to have move coverage than that of rte, which is based in dublin as you know.

Also we pay a licence fee to BBC, as you agree their overall coverage is not up to scratch, i cant see why u attack me for pointing out that their coverage of the mckenna cup was useless.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Tyrone Dreamer

The southern stations (with the exception of tg4) gaa coverage is crap too from October to April.

ziggysego

In fairness, I thought TV3's live coverage wasn't bad. Considering it was their first year. Was still miles ahead of RTE.
Testing Accessibility

cville

Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2009, 09:31:48 PM
In fairness, I thought TV3's live coverage wasn't bad. Considering it was their first year. Was still miles ahead of RTE.

You would think that TG4 would do their coverage in English. Why, oh why, do they persist with Irish? Absolute disgrace that a station that has established themselves to such an extent can provide Irish language commentary. Wise up TG4! You will lose your licence if you keep this up!

tyrone86

Quote from: cville on January 12, 2009, 11:32:31 PM

You would think that TG4 would do their coverage in English. Why, oh why, do they persist with Irish? Absolute disgrace that a station that has established themselves to such an extent can provide Irish language commentary. Wise up TG4! You will lose your licence if you keep this up!

:D

Maguire01

Quote from: stiffler on January 12, 2009, 06:44:58 PM
Fair enough, BBC is no worse than utv or rte, but as the McKenna cup involves 6 counties and 3 universities from Northern ireland i would expect them to have move coverage than that of rte, which is based in dublin as you know.

Also we pay a licence fee to BBC, as you agree their overall coverage is not up to scratch, i cant see why u attack me for pointing out that their coverage of the mckenna cup was useless.
The McKenna Cup is a pre-season tournament that isn't even taken that seriously by some of he teams involved. My point is that you can't expect the BBC to cover it in the same depth as the league or championship. Their coverage of the McKenna Cup was not useless - that's my point - they had full-time scores at the end of the match and reports up shortly afterwards. What more do you want for the McKenna Cup?

Compare BBC's coverage of the McKenna Cup with RTÉ's coverage of the O'Byrne Cup then, if you want to compare like with like. The BBC will still come out on top. And RTÉ shouldn't be ignoring the McKenna Cup just because 9 of the teams in it are from NI.

stiffler

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 13, 2009, 08:24:45 AM
Quote from: stiffler on January 12, 2009, 06:44:58 PM

The McKenna Cup is a pre-season tournament that isn't even taken that seriously by some of he teams involved. My point is that you can't expect the BBC to cover it in the same depth as the league or championship. Their coverage of the McKenna Cup was not useless - that's my point - they had full-time scores at the end of the match and reports up shortly afterwards. What more do you want for the McKenna Cup?

Compare BBC's coverage of the McKenna Cup with RTÉ's coverage of the O'Byrne Cup then, if you want to compare like with like. The BBC will still come out on top. And RTÉ shouldn't be ignoring the McKenna Cup just because 9 of the teams in it are from NI.

Ok we can agree to disagree...you think that the BBCs coverage of the mckenna cup is adequate, i don't.

I don't expect the bbc to show the same depth of coverage to the mckenna as to the league or championship....where did i mention that?? i dont' think it would be hard of the bbc's resources to send 1 reporter to each game, and text in score by score. I don't believe that this goes beyond what should be expected for your licence fee.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

never kickt a ball

Quote from: hardstation on January 13, 2009, 08:21:29 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on January 12, 2009, 11:38:14 PM
Quote from: cville on January 12, 2009, 11:32:31 PM

It's not a laughing matter. I got banned for making comments like that.

Tyrone Dreamer

The headline on utv sport is currently "McGinley shoots Tyrone to cup glory". Wonder does the writer realise Tyrone got knocked out today. In the article you also learn that Monaghan winger Thomas Freeman scored 10 points.

AFS

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 18, 2009, 08:21:13 PM
The headline on utv sport is currently "McGinley shoots Tyrone to cup glory". Wonder does the writer realise Tyrone got knocked out today. In the article you also learn that Monaghan winger Thomas Freeman scored 10 points.

They've got it right on the website but apparently Armagh won last night  :-\ ::)

http://www3.u.tv/news/GeneralSport/index.asp?id=41945&sel2=1&sel=2&local=1

Maguire01

They've fixed the Tyrone headline.

Tyrone Dreamer

Its still up on teletext, thats were I read it.