UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Gael

Sidebottom is terrible but he summed the game up perfectly be describing it as a "festival of wides"

screenexile

Maybe it's just me but watching the coverage of the hurling on Sunday they're panellists and co commentators are as good as I've seen in any sport. Straight talking (albeit with massive bogger accents) with no auld vitriol or nonsense hatred for other teams... they more than know their stuff too and give great analysis of games. Something the BBC should be looking out for is quality lads to give quality analysis, Burns is OK but McHugh has to go. I think Kevin Madden is as good as I've heard this long time!

Hardy

The hurling analysts are top class. Michael Duignan is one of the best sports pundits on TV anywhere, but all the panelists are good, always trying to interpret and analyse the tactics and enlighten the viewer. The less said about comparisons with the likes of Carney "very much so, Marty", Davis et al the better.

Two great games of hurling on Sunday. The hurling lads would sicken you with their "greatest game in the world" stuff, but you have to say the hurling championship this year has been streets ahead of the football in quality. For me, that has an awful lot to do with diving, flopping, frees for nothing and frenzied card-waving. Inter-county football is becoming very hard to watch.

Seany

Just watched the match last night again.  Had it taped.  McHugh couldn't even say well done Armagh without moaning that they haven't won more All Irelands.  That point was probably the closest I've ever seen Jarleth actually giving him a deadener.  But he hit him even better with his reply about Donegal who havent even won one Ulster since winning in 1992. And then McHugh saying Armagh put too much effort into the Ulster championship as if the teams who were put out were only going at half pace and were looking forward to the qualifiers.  Such shite.  I don't know how Burns can sit with him.

red hander

Jaysus, Sidearse must be ready to throw the rope up if he's reading this thread ... but let's not get carried away, Jimmy Smyth is no great shakes as a commentator either, even though he's forgotten more about the game than the boul Mark has ever known

Orior

I think Mark Sidebottom does a reasonable job, considering he had to "fill in" lots of non-playing time. Reading the text messages can be interesting, and probably better than discussing scones like they do in the cricket.

Part of the problem was the lack of insight or analysis by his sidekick on the microphone. Isnt that why he's there?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

Quote from: screenexile on July 29, 2008, 12:27:14 AM
. Straight talking (albeit with massive bogger accents) with no auld vitriol or nonsense

What do ya want ya b*****x ? AA Roadwatch and thair "rindabites".?
It's great to hear a few people in the media speaking in normal Irish accents these days.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2008, 01:23:40 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 29, 2008, 12:27:14 AM
. Straight talking (albeit with massive bogger accents) with no auld vitriol or nonsense

What do ya want ya b*****x ? AA Roadwatch and thair "rindabites".?
It's great to hear a few people in the media speaking in normal Irish accents these days.

Jees Rossfan I was giving them a compliment. AA Roadwatch? What are you on about? Are you trying to tell me that Duignan and Farrell could be understood by anyone who from outside of Ireland? I doubt it! I can understand them though and at least they have a clue what they're on about unlike Lyons/Carney/ McStay/ Davies!

Doogie Browser

Regarding McHugh (may be posted elsewhere also), it seemed like Kevin Madden had a subtle dig at him yesterday in his Irish news columm.  More or less said its time he stepped up to the Donegal job 'never afraid to offer his opinion, maybe he should put some of his theory into practice'   The way it read he def was having a wee pop at Martin.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2008, 10:57:45 PM
Perhaps Martin should have held a mirror up and reflected the comment.........Right back at you, Madden. Please?

If you read the couple of lines it was a dig so maybe Madden has some kind of resentment towards Martin from previous criticism.

Jarlath Burns is shit scared of McHugh everytime they are on together, he was fawning over him on Sunday again putting him in same Free taking bracket as Stafford, McConville and Canavan on All Ireland winning teams.  But wee Martin then made a dick out of Jarlath and said that Bonner and Boyle hit the frees in 1992! he seems to take great pleasure in making Jarlath look stupid.

20leg-end08

McHughs an eejit anyway just looking to be ulster's Pat Spillane.
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me

full back

Happened to check UTV teletext last night to see if there was any word on Gordons appeal.
On the regional sport page there was nothing about it but there was a page saying Derry were playing the Dubs on Aug 11th in CP & Derry are having a great run beating Armagh, Laois & Mayo so far.....I mean who the fcuk works for these w4nkers ::)

Another headline said Dooher was out injured buy when I tried to go to the page it said it was invalid

Typical good reporting all round

scud

Quote from: Seany on July 29, 2008, 08:11:00 AM
And then McHugh saying Armagh put too much effort into the Ulster championship as if the teams who were put out were only going at half pace and were looking forward to the qualifiers.  Such shite.  I don't know how Burns can sit with him.

I second that. I think McHugh tries to be controversial, but clearly isn't sharp enough, so he comes up with this illogical bullshit.
Yes, armagh should have concentrated on losing, so as to go straight into the back door. I haven't read his column on a tue in the irish star since i finished fuzzbuzz. Is it still on the go?

orangeman

I listened to Radio Ulster on Sunday and they had the Fermanagh and Kildare match - the matcg was bad but the commentary was embarassing !!! 

Tyrone Dreamer

Interesting to compare the coverage from BBC of the Tyrone match last night compared to Autograss racing tonight. Autograss racing got around 5 times as much air time. They basically called out the Tyrone result last night. Tonight they had coverage from autograss racing and 3 or 4 interviews about it.