UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Out in Front

Brennan had a pop at both the BBC and UTV for their attitude towards Gaelic games during his speech at the GAA writers dinner last Saturday. It got a good round of applause from the crowd. Logie was MC and didn't look too pleased - when he got back to the mike he said something about it working both ways?!

Louth Exile

Fair play to Nicky, I don't think that Logie can put up much of a defence to the charges!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

ziggysego

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 26, 2007, 09:20:09 PM
Fair play to Nicky, I don't think that Logie can put up much of a defence to the charges!

He looks pissed-off after the report, back in the studio.
Testing Accessibility

scalder

Nickey hits out - from hoganstand

Brennan lashes TV coverage
27 November 2007

GAA President Nickey Brennan has hit out at TV stations UTV and the BBC, claming the two channels are not doing enough to promote hurling and gaelic football.

Although the GAA are still negotiating a deal with RTE, the Kilkenny native criticised it's nothern counterparts for their distinct lack of GAA coverage. A separate deal was set out for the coverage of the Ulster championship and Brennan is annoyed "there is not a scramble for those rights"

"We'd be very disappointed at the level of coverage. We want them to show gaelic games, they are the most popular sports in the six counties and both people are doing a disservice to the people they serve.

" We would love to see more interest on BBC and UTV in our games, I say that sincerely.

"We would love to see All-Ireland finals on BBC1, BBC2 or UTV to promote our games," said Brennan at the recent Tennant's/Ulster GAA Writers banquet in Bundoran

Bogball XV

Quote from: Out in Front on November 26, 2007, 09:10:28 PM
Brennan had a pop at both the BBC and UTV for their attitude towards Gaelic games during his speech at the GAA writers dinner last Saturday. It got a good round of applause from the crowd. Logie was MC and didn't look too pleased - when he got back to the mike he said something about it working both ways?!
And he was right, it does/should work both ways, the GAA do fcuk all to promote tv coverage in the north.  Look at how they sell the GAA rights, ulster championship games only for the bbc/utv, qualifers and quarter final onwards go to RTE, or deferred and highlights to RTE/Setanta.  Neither of which are available throughout the north, thus the gaa snub their own members in the pursuit of money.
End to end, which I enjoyed, was cut because UTV said, fcuk it, they won't even allow us to show snippets of games (in fairness I was happy enough listening to the lads talk shite, a bit like being on here, except the posters were unmasked!), we're just going to drop it.
I think the GAA have got to stop this pursuit of money at all costs, for one thing, it gives Dessie ammo, for a second, it's detrimental to games promotion.  The GAA should produce their own highlights package for club games and sell it on to networks if that's what it takes to get games on tv.

orangeman

I wonder how Logie was going to defend UTV or BBC for not providing coverage of GAA ? Is that all he could come up with ? It works both ways ? That's some shite !

armaghniac

Spot on Bogball, all TV stations should be given every encouragement to have magazine programmes, show clips on the news etc and any rights agreements should facilitate this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

Quote from: armaghniac on November 30, 2007, 12:12:07 AM
Spot on Bogball, all TV stations should be given every encouragement to have magazine programmes, show clips on the news etc and any rights agreements should facilitate this.
Paidi O'Se was advocating the GAA start up their own channel instead of selling off the rights to games - one of his more sensible ramblings I reckon.

orangeman

Could the GAA sustain a tv channel of its own along the lines of MUTV etc - personally I'd be against it but would it be feasible ?

snatter

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 29, 2007, 11:05:51 PM
Quote from: Out in Front on November 26, 2007, 09:10:28 PM
And he was right, it does/should work both ways, the GAA do fcuk all to promote tv coverage in the north.  Look at how they sell the GAA rights, ulster championship games only for the bbc/utv, qualifers and quarter final onwards go to RTE, or deferred and highlights to RTE/Setanta.  Neither of which are available throughout the north, thus the gaa snub their own members in the pursuit of money.
End to end, which I enjoyed, was cut because UTV said, fcuk it, they won't even allow us to show snippets of games (in fairness I was happy enough listening to the lads talk shite, a bit like being on here, except the posters were unmasked!), we're just going to drop it.
I think the GAA have got to stop this pursuit of money at all costs, for one thing, it gives Dessie ammo, for a second, it's detrimental to games promotion.  The GAA should produce their own highlights package for club games and sell it on to networks if that's what it takes to get games on tv.

Bogball,

where there's a will there's a way.
BBC just don't have the will, inclination, or imagination to give any quality coverage of gaelic games.

What has ever stopped them from co-producing all-island coverage with RTE?
If they were prepared to pay some share of rights, I'm sure RTE would have considered letting them simultaneously broadcast live coverage / highlights / a Breaking Ball type programme.

Live coverage of a Munster final on BBC NI would always do more to promote gaelic games to the unconverted than the likes of Antrim v Cavan anyway.

I bet my arse that BBC NI never even bothered picking up the phone to Montrose to raise the idea.

Imo, auctioning off the Ulster rights separately was always a load of shite. They should always have been showing the biggest matches of the day to the NI audience, not the local ones.

thewobbler

QuoteImo, auctioning off the Ulster rights separately was always a load of shite. They should always have been showing the biggest matches of the day to the NI audience, not the local ones.
Sorry to tell you Snatter, but this is just silly talk. Whether it suits your needs or not, BBC NI is a regional station, local to 6 counties only. Whatever happens beyond those 6 counties should be of little or no consequence to the decision makers of Ormeau Avenue.

armaghniac

So the BBC should never show a rugby game not involving Ireland?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

BBC NI shouldn't show a rugby games not involving a six county representation. Same as BBC London shouldn't show a rugby game not involving some sort of greater London representation. BBC Network can do what they like, as long s it has an interest to the license payers.

darbyo

QuoteWhether it suits your needs or not, BBC NI is a regional station, local to 6 counties only. Whatever happens beyond those 6 counties should be of little or no consequence to the decision makers of Ormeau Avenue.

Wobbler do you mean that they can't show sporting occasions not involving 6 county athletes or that they can but shouldn't?

thewobbler

I mean that they shouldn't, unless the event is of genuine interest to a firm percentage of the Northern Ireland population. The All-Ireland Football Final is actually a perfect example of an event that should be shown, regardless of who is playing, as it is the culmination of a brilliant sporting event with huge interest in Northern Ireland. The Munster Football Final, a competition that six county athletes cannot keep in, is a perfect example of something that shouldn't be shown. Use that as your rule of thumb.

I'm sure there are examples of when thsi rule of thumb is ignored, but not very often.