UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scalder

In fairness the hurling this year was by in large far more entertaining than the football (which bar a couple of games – despite there being more of them – was flat) Kerry V Monaghan and the Dublin games are the only ones I can really remember as in anyway memorable. RTÉ should be pushed though to cover more up north to act as a truly national broadcaster.  UTV look south for much of their advertising revenues so that's where pressure could possibility be applied – they won't like bad press in relation to discrimination. BBC well I'm sure some of you pay a TV licence (I hope not too many!) so your entitled to feel aggrieved about this disparity in coverage, you boys need to infiltrate these institutions and influence them from within. I'd suggest pulling together the facts and highlighting the disparity in black and white, indisputable figures!

whiskeysteve

You're right people feel aggrieved

BAN THE CAMERAS!*

*unless they wise up!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Gnevin

Quote from: scalder on October 15, 2007, 04:38:17 PM
In fairness the hurling this year was by in large far more entertaining than the football (which bar a couple of games – despite there being more of them – was flat) Kerry V Monaghan and the Dublin games are the only ones I can really remember as in anyway memorable. RTÉ should be pushed though to cover more up north to act as a truly national broadcaster.  UTV look south for much of their advertising revenues so that's where pressure could possibility be applied – they won't like bad press in relation to discrimination. BBC well I'm sure some of you pay a TV licence (I hope not too many!) so your entitled to feel aggrieved about this disparity in coverage, you boys need to infiltrate these institutions and influence them from within. I'd suggest pulling together the facts and highlighting the disparity in black and white, indisputable figures!
Isn't their a something in RTE Charter that say they can't broadcast to the UK, Plus you'd have the rights issues in the UK,sentanta own the oversea rights. What ever happened RTE Oversea that was meant to becoming to Sky?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

orangeman

I genuinely believe Logie hasn't a word to say about programme content. But I could be wrong bit I'd be surprised cos he's a real GAA man. Ok he makes a living out of it but so do a lot of others.

Tyrone Dreamer

Ive noticed gaa coverage on utv 2 nights in a row now. That must be close to a record for this time of year. Maybe someone has been reading the board. In relation to bbc's radio (and tv as well) coverage, the difference in coverage between the gaa and the irish league is nothing short of a disgrace. As Ive said before the gaa should compare the negative v positive coverage for both sports and release a public statement to shame the bbc.

armaghniac

QuoteIsn't their a something in RTE Charter that say they can't broadcast to the UK, Plus you'd have the rights issues in the UK,sentanta own the oversea rights. What ever happened RTE Oversea that was meant to becoming to Sky?

Gnevin take your partitionist crap elsewhere, it has no place on a GAA discussion board.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

Quote from: orangeman on October 16, 2007, 07:04:31 PM
I genuinely believe Logie hasn't a word to say about programme content. But I could be wrong bit I'd be surprised cos he's a real GAA man. Ok he makes a living out of it but so do a lot of others.

I've met Logie on several occasions and I can honestly say he is a true gaa fan. I won't have any of this shit said about him here. Although he is the sports editor on UTV Live, I don't believe he has the final say as to the content of the news.

Also, he was in Greencastle last weekend with his under Dungannon team. He is the U16s (I think) manager and is apparently very passionate on the sidelines.
Testing Accessibility

DMarsden

i have had a fair amount of dealings with logie and while he says all the right things, he is only interested in his own profile and his own career.

Televised Sports coverage in the north is still operating under the same criteria that the housing executive applied in the 50s. I'm surely Logie is acutely aware of the not so subtle black balling process which the closed shop that is the utv & bbc NI hierarchy. just ask JQ, who is a genuine GAA man.

glens73

Quote from: glens73 on October 07, 2007, 08:27:51 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 07, 2007, 07:16:49 PM
Let's stop taling about it and instead do something about it !

I've sent them an e-mail to complain, whether it gets a reply I don't know.

Still awaiting a reply on my e-mail sent on 7th October, despite getting an automated reply stating that they would strive to reply within 3 working days.

Same as the taxman, if they owe you money or you need information out of them they take an age, but if you owe them money, they'll be on you like a flash.

scalder

Ok I think the consensus is that the GAA gets a raw deal - but what can be done to address the problem? Satatistics on the ratio of coverage would be a start. But sure with the attitude towards the Irish lanaguage we see from the DUP I think there is an up hill battle, better change of getting fair deal when direct rule was in place I think...

bloody mary

I doubt whether any of you saw this because it was in the Belfast Newsletter.... it was an opinion piece by someone called richard Bullick (sounds like a spelling mistake there) about the great NI beating the mighty licktenstein in August. the article was titled something about changed times at windsor and went on about how great the whole thing was for wee NI..... these are the last four paragraphs....

Admittedly we'd only beaten Liechtenstein and their late goal had taken a little gloss off it – you just hope that, like that late Italian try in Rome last March it doesn't come back to haunt our boys – but there was a sense of 'job done, now for the next one', an indication of how our expectations have grown throughout this campaign

The only slightly sour note for fans was listening to Jerome 'the North' Quinn sounding like a nationalist newspaper on Radio Ulster the next morning as at least twice he avoided the term Northern Ireland and appeared to be trying to give the Republic's result joint top billing in the sportsdesk.

As we've said, everyone is entitled to their particular perspective and a range of terminology is used in this society but it just didn't sound right in this case.

By contrast that other great Tyrone GAA man in the local broadcast media, Adrian Logan, can come across as enthusiastic and engaging about Norn Iron and the UTV legend got a great cheer from fans in the South Stand as he left his seat just before the end on Wednesday.

full back

bloody mary, f**king hell, you are taking one small incident from August and comparing it to the disgraful coverage GAA gets in the North throughout the year. Catch a grip of yourself

bloody mary

actually full back it was relevant to the quinn-logie comments and how they are perceived and treated in the unionist media, you big clampit. actually, full backs are always big these days so i take that bit back. seriously, they are making out that logie is loved and quinn is not because he said 'the north' instead of 'northern ireland'. what the hell?!

clawaddy

we seem to be concentrating on UTV and Adrian Logan here. This is a mistake.  UTV is a commercial station who do not have to broadcast any GAA if they dont want to and thats fair enough. We dont have to watch that channel. It obviously makes business sense to them to satisfy the Unionst viewers needs.  BBC are different - we pay a licence fee and have a right to a fair share of radio and tv time.At present what we are getting from them is disgraceful. It seems obvious to me that if 2000 watch a soccer game and 10000 watch a GAA game then more people are interested in this game and therfore it should receive proportionally more coverage!

scalder

UTV is commercial but it has a publicly awarded licence with obligations attached I'm sure.