inthemixer

jerome quinn is an awesome pundit
jarlath burns knows his stuff
martin mc hugh is a god
and austy is immense

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 09, 2007, 09:51:28 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 09, 2007, 09:33:48 AM
How many clubs games has rte/tg4/others shown ?  RTE/TG4/others have shown 0 and reported on 0 as far as i know so it no just a UTV/BBC issue 

TG4 have showed club finals live for two weeks in a row Gnevin, last week was the Armagh final (I think this was followed by deferred full coverage of another) then Sunday gone was the Sligo final live then deferred full coverage of the Down Final.
They are planning live finals most weeks with full deferred matches too, fair play to them.

These are also being replayed on Setanta during the week.
While thats all well and good a championship is more than just a final and While this is better than nothing its hard to point fingers are BBC/UTV when our national broadcaster gives 0 coverage to these.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

Easy to point the fingert GNevin if you live in the North and cant get these games on free to air tv.

Rte/TV3/Tnag, doesnt really matter once you can see them.
Ask me holy bollix

clawaddy

Was in Celtic Park yesterday with about 7000 others.  I brought my radio to follow the other games and reports.  Nothng! On my way up I listened in at 5minutes  to 1 to here the latest GAA news, teams etc. Nothing!  On my way home surely there would be at least the usual Sunday Sport programme after 6news. Nothing! where has happened to the GAA coverage?  Are we not entitled to expect the same sports coverage as soccer gets on Saturday. There were even  larger crowds in Omagh and other venues yet these games did not merit any coverage.  There was probably more at one of these games than all the Saturday soccer games in total. Are we back to the bad old days when our games did not get a mention except when there was something negative to report

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Bensars

Quote from: Bensars on October 08, 2007, 02:18:00 PM
Tune into radio ulster this saturday between 3 and 5. ( Full match commentaries , Reports and updates from  soccer grounds all over the place. Total attendence wouldnt be much over 20,000 IMO )

Tune into radio ulster this Sunday between 3 and 5. ( Some county finals )

Compare and contrast.  You wont believe until youve actually compared the depth of coverage

Your Honour i rest my case  ::)

Quote from: clawaddy on October 15, 2007, 10:23:08 AM
Was in Celtic Park yesterday with about 7000 others.  I brought my radio to follow the other games and reports.  Nothng! On my way up I listened in at 5minutes  to 1 to here the latest GAA news, teams etc. Nothing!  On my way home surely there would be at least the usual Sunday Sport programme after 6news. Nothing! where has happened to the GAA coverage?  Are we not entitled to expect the same sports coverage as soccer gets on Saturday. There were even  larger crowds in Omagh and other venues yet these games did not merit any coverage.  There was probably more at one of these games than all the Saturday soccer games in total. Are we back to the bad old days when our games did not get a mention except when there was something negative to report

scalder

RTÉ radio sport was giving the results to the majority of county finals and semis around the country – didn't hear any reports but I wasn't listening all day so they well have had some. Newstalk had a great piece for a half hour if not more on Portlaois GAA club and their plans to see up and move to a new facility, what was involved in this, about the decision etc, very interesting and fair play to all involved, 5 year plan in place  targeting all Ireland hurling and football glory – inspiring stuff but are they growing too big would be my only question, would it not be better to have a few clubs in the town rather than an Kilmacud style mega club.

I hope the GAA can tie in club coverage to any new TV and radio deal, its especially important if we are pruning the intercounty season that the coverage does not contract too.

bloody mary

the comparison with rte or anyone else is not the point. the point is that bbc bosses have made a conscious decision to withdraw their radio coverage on sundays. this means that the well-established sunday show has gone. completely. nothing at all on bbc radio or tv at all on sundays. saturdays still have 3 or 4 hours of coverage (including a ridiculous phone-in) which may not mean much to anyone in the deep south, but it means that all the local soccer has its own programme (and a tv programme as well on saturdays) whereas the gaa fans are being discriminated against, and that's not too strong a word for it. think about it - thousands of gaa fans at finals and semi-finals yesterday, but the bbc ignores it. is suggest you or your clubs and counties get the finger out - phone talkback, write letters in, whatever. i know our club is compiling a letter cos our chairman spoke to one of teh gaa reporters for a steer last week on who to send it to.

scalder

Question for our 6 county friends, what Irish radio and TV stations can you receive, what do you listen to and why? Could RTÉ do more to make it relevant to northern viewers/listeners?

armaghniac

QuoteQuestion for our 6 county friends, what Irish radio and TV stations can you receive, what do you listen to and why? Could RTÉ do more to make it relevant to northern viewers/listeners?

RTE has nothing got to do with it. Radio Ulster and UTV are Irish, their remit is to provide a service to an area of Ireland, this thread discusses whether they do this in a partisan way. As Radio Ulster have diminished their Sunday sports coverage, while retaining their Saturday coverage then they have diminished coverage of sports played on a Sunday, not only the GAA. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

whiskeysteve

Quote from: scalder on October 15, 2007, 11:18:07 AM
Question for our 6 county friends, what Irish radio and TV stations can you receive, what do you listen to and why? Could RTÉ do more to make it relevant to northern viewers/listeners?

Cant pick up rte in a lot of places without sky (belfast, etc). Its a pity that RTE have been running with an effective monopoly for so long (though I see this is changing) as it is reflected in the some of the recent shite aspects of The Sunday Game. Decent competition would give them a kick up the arse.

I'm sure RTE could give Ulster more coverage. How many times did Des Cahill and The Road To Croker venture into the black6? As for the coverage of Ulster teams in this years championship, i'm not sure, but as a Derry man I would have thought that Derry V Armagh, Mayo and Laios would have warranted some more coverage than brief highlights - the hurling definitely seemed to take precedence this year.

Personally I'd like to see BBC and UTV cameras banned from GAA grounds until they justify their presence with decent coverage. I'd rather they fucked off and cover bowls/rowing or some other minnow than insult us with lip service
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

whiskeysteve

Just checked there were 10 episodes of The Road to Croker. 1 went to Monaghan and was the sole Ulster episode. Ulster GAA coverage is a bit of lip service all round really

Hoof Hearted

If the BBC wish to ban GAA coverage then thats their choice fair enough, BUT, if there was a free for all in one of yesterdays county finals it would have made the f**king headlines. blanket ban or no ban.
but not one of us on here can do a thing about it
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Fear ón Srath Bán

As far as the BBC & UTV are concerned, where it involves the GAA, no news (about fighting, free-for-alls, general anarchy on the pitch) is not good news... it's no news, and as simply sport they won't bother their arses reporting it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 15, 2007, 12:21:34 PM
If the BBC wish to ban GAA coverage then thats their choice fair enough, BUT, if there was a free for all in one of yesterdays county finals it would have made the f**king headlines. blanket ban or no ban.
but not one of us on here can do a thing about it

The Ulster council could maybe do something about it. They could negociate better coverage, doubtful they will be treated with any respect, in which case they could ban the UTV/BBC cameras. Sure you wouldnt miss their coverage PLUS they wouldnt have the chance to stick the boot when something negative happens (as they are o so fond of doing).