UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

This is what I sent:

Why is the GAA coverage so sparse on UTV, when it is the most popular spectator sport in Northern Ireland? The news bulletins are so brief as to be ridiculous. Could you also explain why your channel dedicates more time to showing the GAA in a negative light (last nights Spotlight) than it does on big matches (which up to 80,000 people attend)

If anyone else wants to leave a comment, this is the link:

http://u.tv/progcomments.asp

You can leave your phone number and e-mail address for a response

*got a response to the email:

Dear ________

Thank you for e-mailing UTV.

We appreciate when viewers take the time to get in touch as your comments
are very important to us and your particular point of view will be seen by
UTV senior management.

Yours sincerely
UTV
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

corn02

Just read this thread from start to finish and there are a number of valid points.

The coverage has been poor but luckily I do not watch it because I get my fix on RTE.

I am more interested in peoples views on a GAA channell. I know there quite a number of officials who would support a channell in the coming years. I personally think it would be a viable project especially if it was linked onto the excellent Setanta package. Any views on this? If anyone has seen channel 442 on sky ESPN Classic, I would feel A GAA channel could keep a similar format like TG4 Gold. I believe the channel would suit best if the majority was re run of classic games so that the rest of the shows i.e highlights would be good shows and not just rushed to be filler.

scalder

I watched the programme and thought it was not too bad. I don't care what happens in soccer, I expect more form our organisation and from anyone who considers themselves a Republican. No excuses lads and its sickening to see some of you in any way condoning what happened to this lad. To think what he overcame and can play our games without bitterness is a testament to him and really we have to reach across the divide and make our games accessible to all people the people in Ireland – be that immigrants from Africa or Unionists. No room for "what aboutry" – the GAA should hold itself to higher standards as we are the leading cultural, social and sporting organistion in Ireland.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: scalder on October 02, 2007, 12:14:26 PM
I watched the programme and thought it was not too bad. I don’t care what happens in soccer, I expect more form our organisation and from anyone who considers themselves a Republican. No excuses lads and its sickening to see some of you in any way condoning what happened to this lad. To think what he overcame and can play our games without bitterness is a testament to him and really we have to reach across the divide and make our games accessible to all people the people in Ireland – be that immigrants from Africa or Unionists. No room for “what aboutry” – the GAA should hold itself to higher standards as we are the leading cultural, social and sporting organistion in Ireland.

aye but we still get shafted by the media
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Rav67

Have to agree with scalder on this one.  Orangeman- we have to set higher standards and better be that given the status of the GAA in Ireland and its history.

The abuse Graham got was also made worse by the fact that he was the only Prod on the pitch and possibly even in the ground when the abuse happened, so it was nothing short of cowardly bullying.

pintsofguinness

QuoteNo excuses lads and its sickening to see some of you in any way condoning what happened to this lad.
Who's condoning what happened?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

whiskeysteve

I completely agree with what scalder and rav say here, but isn't the main focus of this thread the negative coverage by the BBC/UTV?

Because of the perception of the GAA they have broadcast we are now talking about problems and scandal in the organisation instead of getting highlights of Paddy Bradleys 10 point display against Ballinderry, for example

I think the positives should be broadcast to the public. They arent

Rav67

I know people do make an issue of UTV coverage I never watch it to be honest so not in a position to comment regarding bias, I get all my news from reading Irish News really. 

Perhaps it was straying from the point into an old argument but I just feel some people seem to be condoning it because sectarian abuse happens in soccer, IMO its even worse if it happens in our games because it's nothing less than bullying due to such low numbers of Protestants in the GAA.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Rav67 on October 02, 2007, 12:51:56 PM
I know people do make an issue of UTV coverage I never watch it to be honest so not in a position to comment regarding bias, I get all my news from reading Irish News really. 

Perhaps it was straying from the point into an old argument but I just feel some people seem to be condoning it because sectarian abuse happens in soccer, IMO its even worse if it happens in our games because it's nothing less than bullying due to such low numbers of Protestants in the GAA.

who seems to be condoning it?

rrhf

Zero tolerance is the best way forward, to racists, homophobes, sectarian abuse and all who actively engage in discrimination.  Zero tolerance - not an inch more or less. Its good to see the GAA has acted on this and each county and club should ensure that in future the ability to deal with the problem is clear and predetermined, active dismissal from the organisation.  I am confident that this is in place in a number of clubs.

This dosent take away from the fact that the programme was rubbish.... poor quality tv and I believe the level of sectarianism would not normally have warranted a TV programme but for the fact it was a game of hurling.  I admire the bravery of the young man involved and for those who disgracefully thought he was courting publicity,  i dont think he really understood what the TV camera was doing there either.   As for telly material  I genuinely think there were more obvious examples in N Ireland of sectarianism in sport and was a classic case of looking for the needle but ignoring all the sowing machines in the haystack.  Its quite obvious that the now sinister campaign of certain media against the GAA is in the open.   Its war.  They have now played their cards.  There is a unwritten willingness to keep Gaelic Games as poor relations to soccor and rubgy in the North.  How can this be overcome? The organisation of Gaelic games is unrivalled North and South of the border.  This has now become a serious Public Relations issue and whilst the sheer honesty of the GAA in comparison to the other organisataions shines through it is now in this cynical day and age  a naive approach to rely on.  The GAA needs to be able to spin just like everyione else. After all it has the substance beneath the surface to deliver on the spin..Currently the GAA pr and marketing department need to look at themselves.  they cant afford to have the amateur and negative vibes of Spillane and co involved in the main televised promotional point for Gaelic Games.   They also cant afford not to publicly address the main issues which affect  their membership.  After watching RTE, BBC and UTV cover their games often extremely negatively,  the GAA should look very carefully at the positive aspect that the quality of Setanta might bring.  Give Setanta or even TV3 the rights to everything, and make them bloody pay for it and just like Sky covering 2000 people screaming abuse at each other at an Irish league game sectarian fest and where BBC and UTV the following day were fawning over the brief highlights on the  historic night for N Irish soccor, let BBC and UTV buy those highlights off the sky based channel.  The problem is we have given a lot away for very little over the years. It may now be time  for the television companies to earn it. It may now bwe the time for the GAA to realise that the should not be anybodys poor relation they need to deny the rights to these companies and let them ultimately suffer.  I for one am considering whether to pay a TV license ever again.  Maybe we expect too much.  theres been an awful lot of balancing the books over the years at various other levels.  Its a PC world we now live in.  The media are just trying to carve themselves an angle in all of this.  Its time for the GAA to rise above it all.     

illdecide

Ive no issues with the lad, fair play to him for playing GAA coming from his family backround that takes some balls and it shows that he is not bitter, if he was he would not be mixing with the Fenian's in the first place.

My problem is with the BBC and UTV Bastards they just can't wait to nail the GAA with every opportunity they get, i don't see documentary's about 82,500 people in Croke park all mixed together with in most cases 4 different teams (2 minor and 2 senior) and no trouble whatsoever or about what the GAA clubs have done for the communities that they serve. No UTV has to point out that it was the only places to go in the troubles and all that bad publicity last night.

Wankers Wankers Wankers, i hate them all. And if i could set up something to bombard them with how most of the GAA people feel about this i would...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

rrhf

Not a bit. 
Where this scaremongering and negativity is aimed at is not the existing GAA organisation and members but the those that the GAA are going to be trying to welcome into the organisation, the new market.  I suspect existing GAA members would know the qualities of their clubs and organisations and know that the GAA isnt what it is being portrayed as.  But the controlled primary schools and secondary schools that are at this point unsure will be noting last nights programme and it may just confirm their own prejudices.. The GAA are more than a sporting organisation and in many ways they are simply a group of irish people.  When did the irish ever get it easy?   ;)

whiskeysteve

Quote from: illdecide on October 02, 2007, 01:30:56 PM
Wankers Wankers Wankers, i hate them all. And if i could set up something to bombard them with how most of the GAA people feel about this i would...

Get stuck in then, apparently they will reply

http://u.tv/progcomments.asp

If enough of yous send comments, at least we might get some answers

Sandy Hill

QuoteIf enough of yous send comments, at least we might get some answers

Who knows, they might even make a programme about this thread!    ::)
"Stercus accidit"

Rav67

[/quote]

who seems to be condoning it?
[/quote]

You dont have to read far back on this thread to see some posters engaging in whataboutery.

Quote from: rrhf on October 02, 2007, 01:29:20 PM
Zero tolerance is the best way forward, to racists, homophobes, sectarian abuse and all who actively engage in discrimination.  Zero tolerance - not an inch more or less. Its good to see the GAA has acted on this and each county and club should ensure that in future the ability to deal with the problem is clear and predetermined, active dismissal from the organisation.  I am confident that this is in place in a number of clubs.

This dosent take away from the fact that the programme was rubbish.... poor quality tv and I believe the level of sectarianism would not normally have warranted a TV programme but for the fact it was a game of hurling.  I admire the bravery of the young man involved and for those who disgracefully thought he was courting publicity,  i dont think he really understood what the TV camera was doing there either.   As for telly material  I genuinely think there were more obvious examples in N Ireland of sectarianism in sport and was a classic case of looking for the needle but ignoring all the sowing machines in the haystack.  Its quite obvious that the now sinister campaign of certain media against the GAA is in the open.   Its war.  They have now played their cards.  There is a unwritten willingness to keep Gaelic Games as poor relations to soccor and rubgy in the North.  How can this be overcome? The organisation of Gaelic games is unrivalled North and South of the border.  This has now become a serious Public Relations issue and whilst the sheer honesty of the GAA in comparison to the other organisataions shines through it is now in this cynical day and age  a naive approach to rely on.  The GAA needs to be able to spin just like everyione else. After all it has the substance beneath the surface to deliver on the spin..Currently the GAA pr and marketing department need to look at themselves.  they cant afford to have the amateur and negative vibes of Spillane and co involved in the main televised promotional point for Gaelic Games.   They also cant afford not to publicly address the main issues which affect  their membership.  After watching RTE, BBC and UTV cover their games often extremely negatively,  the GAA should look very carefully at the positive aspect that the quality of Setanta might bring.  Give Setanta or even TV3 the rights to everything, and make them bloody pay for it and just like Sky covering 2000 people screaming abuse at each other at an Irish league game sectarian fest and where BBC and UTV the following day were fawning over the brief highlights on the  historic night for N Irish soccor, let BBC and UTV buy those highlights off the sky based channel.  The problem is we have given a lot away for very little over the years. It may now be time  for the television companies to earn it. It may now bwe the time for the GAA to realise that the should not be anybodys poor relation they need to deny the rights to these companies and let them ultimately suffer.  I for one am considering whether to pay a TV license ever again.  Maybe we expect too much.  theres been an awful lot of balancing the books over the years at various other levels.  Its a PC world we now live in.  The media are just trying to carve themselves an angle in all of this.  Its time for the GAA to rise above it all.     

Must say I agree with a lot of rrhf's sentiments although I would like to see all big games retained on RTE so the older generation can still see them.  You are certainly correct in raising the issue that even the GAA media (Spillane etc) sometimes run our games down.  A 0-0 draw on Sky often still has Andy Gray analysing and waxing lyrical about the game with Richard Keys fawning all over him.  The vast majority of AI championship fare is much more entertaining yet RTE panelitst seem to love criticising the game when they can.