UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: T Fearon on September 16, 2013, 10:13:51 PM
I dont know.They'll show the All Ireland Final.You cannot isolate any month,and need to take the output over the full year.Still think GAA gets fair coverage,I remember the time when all you got was Ulster Final highlights.

Like it or not,its the Championship in summertime that attracts the major interest,sure the grounds are three quarters empty during the league and the BBC has budgetary constraints.Expecting them to cover club games to any great extent would be akin to expecting them to cover junior soccer.

Are they definitely showing the all Ireland final? I thought the next month would be as good as any to pick given that the all Ireland finals are on and county finals. Would be a busy month for the gaa. Other than the live coverage of the 6 or 7 games in may to June gaa is largely ignored on their tv coverage and would compare poorly to soccer and rugby.

As I said if someone took the next month as an example I'd be shocked if the gaa accounted for 20 per cent of the coverage. Given the attendances and interest junior soccer does not equate to the closing stages of county championship which will attract 10 times as many as most Irish league games never mind junior soccer. And I think the average gaa fan will be interested in the big club games outside their own county.

Redhand Santa

If the all Ireland final isn't on tv I wouldn't be surprised if hockey got more air time over the next month on bbc television than gaa.

T Fearon

The last soccer match covered live was Irish Cup Final in May.You could ask why all bike races (apart from NW200) aren't covered,they all attract big crowds,neither is the Ulster derby horse race at the Maze etc etc.

I'm with O'Neill on this one,I have no complaints with the BBC's GAA coverage nowadays.

thewobbler

Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 16, 2013, 10:32:05 PM
If the all Ireland final isn't on tv I wouldn't be surprised if hockey got more air time over the next month on bbc television than gaa.

Except if  the all Ireland final is on BBC, the 120 minute programme for this single event is twice as long as their combined hockey coverage in one calendar year.

But you keep up the hypothetical stuff if it keeps you happy. Sooner or later your auntie's balls might give you a rattle on head.

imtommygunn

I would agree here. If it wasn't for tg4 sure what would we see on rte? Some league highlights and highlights of one club game a year?

Hockey gets little or no airtime. When have you seen a live hockey match?

Sunday sportssound was great though and would be nice to see it.

Orchardman

They won't show the final will they? it's only ever on if an ulster team in it.

Overall, nothing to complain about here. They do a decent job. But Stephen watsons love of motorbikes is sickening

ONeill

No, I don't think they'll show the All-Ireland.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

T Fearon

Surely the All Ireland Final will be screened live on BBC2 this Sunday?

imtommygunn

I don't see why they'd show the football after not showing the hurling?

DuffleKing

Doubt it - they'll be charged for the rights to the ai final and that usually means no chance. MacRory would be free for them for example

theticklemister

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 17, 2013, 08:20:10 AM

Doubt it - they'll be charged for the rights to the ai final and that usually means no chance. MacRory would be free for them for example
[/quote

Not a hope in hell . When was the last time they showed an all ireland without an ulster team.

T Fearon

Like it or not,there's infinitely more interest in football than hurling.Will be amazed if the Football Final isn't shown live on BBC 2 this Sunday.

glens73

I may be wrong, but I don't think that BBC NI have ever shown the football final when an Ulster county is not involved.

cornerback

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2013, 11:00:11 AM
Like it or not,there's infinitely more interest in football than hurling.Will be amazed if the Football Final isn't shown live on BBC 2 this Sunday.

Gimme your best amazed face Tony, Sailing, Canoeing & Rugby League according to the BBC2 NI schedule:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/schedules/ni/2013/09/22