UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Any craic on September 14, 2013, 06:46:48 PM
There is absolutely nothing on Sundays for the McKenna Cup and the NFL, never mind clubs or any other GAA.

Ah now, that's not true.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Any craic

O'Neill, it actually is true that there is no BBC radio or TV coverage on Sundays from December through to the start of the Ulster SFC or maybe a League Final if an Ulster team is in it. They dropped Sunday Sportsound years ago and there is nothing on at all. As for thewobbler, I'm going to let your comments go at this stage because I'm wondering what your agenda is and also because you've had a few digs at my posts. Strabane Sigersons, funerals, strange stuff. I'm happy to make my arguments and let people take it from there. Just my opinion, as I said.

ONeill

You're going mad.

There's a full NFL programme every Sunday, with reports from every Ulster county game from Feb to May. Sure they even had McGourty reporting.

Also, Newsline on a Monday would give a 1 min review of one game.

Any craic

O'Neill, you're wrong mate! McGourty has done a few interviews alright, but for the Monday TV one minute. I'm talking about Live broadcasting. Sure a lot of the games are played on Saturday night and they just don't cover them on radio and haven't done for some time. I refer you to Paddy Heaney's famous article that exposed their Sunday cutback - http://www.nuzhound.com/articles/irish_news/arts2007/nov6_BBC_Gaelic_sports_coverage__PHeaney.php

Kid Twist

Quote from: thewobbler on September 14, 2013, 09:04:48 PM
Anycraic, some amazing rants here.

But the bottom line is that you will not accept that the role of a regional broadcaster is to broadcast stories of regional interest. Even if the whole of Strabane turns up for a Strabane Sigersons game, that doesn't make of interest beyond west Tyrone.

I'll put this another way. There are funerals every few weeks, maybe every week, in Ulster that invoke thousands of mourners. But the only funerals that get mentioned on BBC NI are those involving figures who have a regional profile. Believe it or not, sport has to operate on a roughly similar principle.

BBC Radio Foyle are the local broadcasters for the north west, including Strabane, I have rarely heard them chat about local GAA issues. They do have great interest in local cricket news in every morning sports bulletin and even have special cricket correspondent. they also report cross channel soccer. It makes this whole local, regional, national thing all very confusing

orangeman

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 15, 2013, 09:25:22 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 14, 2013, 09:04:48 PM
Anycraic, some amazing rants here.

But the bottom line is that you will not accept that the role of a regional broadcaster is to broadcast stories of regional interest. Even if the whole of Strabane turns up for a Strabane Sigersons game, that doesn't make of interest beyond west Tyrone.

I'll put this another way. There are funerals every few weeks, maybe every week, in Ulster that invoke thousands of mourners. But the only funerals that get mentioned on BBC NI are those involving figures who have a regional profile. Believe it or not, sport has to operate on a roughly similar principle.

Not really amazing when you consider Any Craic is Jerome Quinn,  who was sacked by the BBC.

If it weren't for any Craic exposing the BBC and their treatment of gaelic games, we would have been left speculating. At least Any Craic put it into the public domain.

Whatever way you want to look at it, Gaelic games are NOT a minority sport but the reporting of them by the BBC and others would nearly make you think they were.

thewobbler

Quote from: Any craic on September 14, 2013, 10:52:51 PM
O'Neill, it actually is true that there is no BBC radio or TV coverage on Sundays from December through to the start of the Ulster SFC or maybe a League Final if an Ulster team is in it. They dropped Sunday Sportsound years ago and there is nothing on at all. As for thewobbler, I'm going to let your comments go at this stage because I'm wondering what your agenda is and also because you've had a few digs at my posts. Strabane Sigersons, funerals, strange stuff. I'm happy to make my arguments and let people take it from there. Just my opinion, as I said.

No agenda, no digs. Until saffrongael pointed out that you actually worked for the Beeb, i just assumed you were one of those people who doesn't understand the role of regional broadcasting. what you regard as 'strange stuff', I'm merely pointing out that:

- even if a Gaelic football captures the attention of an entire town (for example, Strabane), it doesn't make the match newsworthy beyond that town. 10,000 locals attending that match does not give it a regional impact.

- from an editorial perspective, the size of the congregation at a funeral doesn't decide if it gets mentioned on newsline. It's the impact/profile the deceased had across the six counties that makes it newsworthy. If you can agree with that, then surely you can apply the same logic to sport.

omagh_gael

While I'm sure the majority of posters are aware of anycraic's identity and background, I don't think there was any need to go that far SG.

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on September 15, 2013, 10:21:21 AM
Quote from: Any craic on September 14, 2013, 10:52:51 PM

No agenda, no digs. Until saffrongael pointed out that you actually worked for the Beeb, i just assumed you were one of those people who doesn't understand the role of regional broadcasting. what you regard as 'strange stuff', I'm merely pointing out that:

- even if a Gaelic football captures the attention of an entire town (for example, Strabane), it doesn't make the match newsworthy beyond that town. 10,000 locals attending that match does not give it a regional impact.

- from an editorial perspective, the size of the congregation at a funeral doesn't decide if it gets mentioned on newsline. It's the impact/profile the deceased had across the six counties that makes it newsworthy. If you can agree with that, then surely you can apply the same logic to sport.

Not sure you can make that one stack up wobbler. 10,000 people gathering for anything will be regional news. orange marchers? NW200, Cricket international at stormont. Wait a minute, come to think of it a nuber much less than 10,000 seems to be the threshold if editorial are being selective enough...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: thewobbler on September 15, 2013, 10:21:21 AM

10,000? Maybe 30 years ago, closer to 20,000 these days!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: Any craic on September 14, 2013, 11:54:24 PM
O'Neill, you're wrong mate! McGourty has done a few interviews alright, but for the Monday TV one minute. I'm talking about Live broadcasting. Sure a lot of the games are played on Saturday night and they just don't cover them on radio and haven't done for some time. I refer you to Paddy Heaney's famous article that exposed their Sunday cutback - http://www.nuzhound.com/articles/irish_news/arts2007/nov6_BBC_Gaelic_sports_coverage__PHeaney.php

As I said you've flipped.

Are you saying I imagined listening to Kildare v Tyrone in Newbridge on 24th March? Or the day they switched to Mayo for the closing stages?

or this:

Here's a rundown of our commentators/match reporters on Sunday Sportsound today from 14:00 on BBC Radio Ulster MW:
Kildare v Tyrone: Owen McConnon & Brian Canavan.
Mayo v Donegal: Adrian Logan
Louth v Derry: Barry Flynn
Westmeath v Armagh: Paul O'Neill.
We'll have news and updates too on Wicklow v Cavan and Roscommon v Monaghan in Division three plus Antrim hurlers' Division 1B clash with Carlow at Dr Cullen Park.

Austin O'Callaghan's studio guest is former Armagh footballer Steven McDonnell. You can follow the programme on Twiter @bbcchampionship or use #RUgaa.

or the previous night when they did live commentary of Dub v Down? Every weekend had 1 or 2 live broadcasts with reporters from every Ulster game. I remember McGourty reporting from a few as well.

We can either talk facts or make stuff up.

Hardy

I prefer the madey-uppey stuff.

T Fearon

Before criticising the output of any of the aforementioned broadcasters,would it not be wise to consider what they are contracted to broadcast and the limitations placed by the confines of such contracts,ultimately imposed by the GAA itself?

Any craic

Pretty poor form on here in the last 24 hours from a few of you. Saffrongael certainly overstepped the mark. His cheap shot wasn't the first one. He also had one at me last month, for no apparent reason. Of course you let these things go, most of the time, but his post today was against the spirit of this Board. If you're going to name people then let's name everyone. Come to think of it, that might be interesting. For example, there have people having digs at me, defending the BBC and sounding knowledgeable about terms like regional/national broadcasting. Now I wonder who would have an agenda like that on a GAA Board?!

Any craic

BTW O'Neill I apologise if I'm wrong. I did say that I'm not as keen a follower as I was, so maybe I'm not up-to-date, which isn't to admit that I've 'flipped' or 'gone mad', thank you, just not up to speed.