UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Do TV3 not put up the full match on their website? All I can see is previews and post-match interviews. FFS, what sort of service is that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Feckitt

BBC broke new ground this week with their coverage of the Sean Cavanagh/ Joe Brolly incident.  For years the BBC have had an unofficial line when it comes to GAA coverage.

'Give them their own show, and make it good so that they cannot complain, but for gods sake do not bring the GAA into polite conversation, and try not to expose it to unsuspecting members of the Ulster public'.

I may be mistaken, but I think that this is the first time ever, that the BBC have discussed GAA on a normal show, when they are talking about a purely GAA issue.   In the past and  particularly around Tyrone's brilliant All-Ireland win in 2008, they continually invited Gregory Campbell et al on to slander the GAA about every single GAA club in the North being named after IRA men.   The GAA and controversial politics was acceptable news for the BBC.  That was the only time you would hear GAA except on the sports news.

Your average George and Mabel sitting in their house in Hillsborough can have BBC on TV and Radio from one end of the year to the next.  They can decide not to watch The Championship on BBC2 in the same way that I can ignore the Formula 1 or cricket.  They can watch the news and all local programmes safe in the knowledge that if they do not want to see GAA then they can avoid the small bit on the news sports section. 

But on Monday morning, people were ringing in talking about Joe Brolly, Brackaville, The Moy, RTE, Croke Park, Paul Grimley, Monaghan, Pat Spillane, Derry, Dungiven, Colm O'Rourke, Cavan, The Sunday Game, Black cards, Conor McManus etc, etc, etc. 

I think this a first!!

armaghniac

QuoteI think this a first!!

While it may be an unanticipated side effect, the idea that the GAA rules are a subject of discussion that everyone should have a view on is a welcome development for the wee six.

I suspect that Brolly's organ transplant may have given him a profile for non sports types generally.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DuffleKing

RTE's studio analysis today is embarrassing when compared to BBC's. McGuinness, McGeeney and (to a much lesser extent McHugh) are so much more informed and insightful when compared to the punch + judy show on RTE. Fair play to BBC NI - never thought I'd ever type that out!

DuffleKing

Same can't be said about the direction - they've missed every single kick out so far watching replays

lawnseed

I just want to say and its not often I need to say it. yesterday's BBC coverage of Tyrone v mayo was brilliant. jimmy, geezer and wee man in the studio were great. jeez..! Jim mcguinness can do stats. hes a mine if intricate detail but hes not boring. geezer just oozes charisma, he commands attention when he speaks with his insightful quotes from various sportstars and less geeky analyses.. well when he flexes those guns who's gonna argue. wee man McHugh wasn't as pushy yesterday and without burns patronising him he seemed more comfortable. meanwhile oisin and sidey have a nice rapport going. oisin is sharp but lets sidebotton lead... sidey leads but is in awe of his allstar partner. very good coverage the beeb blew rte out of the water on this occasion. also the lack of sickening ads on the BBC makes it all the better

WELL DONE BBC 8)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on August 26, 2013, 10:11:20 PM
I just want to say and its not often I need to say it. yesterday's BBC coverage of Tyrone v mayo was brilliant. jimmy, geezer and wee man in the studio were great. jeez..! Jim mcguinness can do stats. hes a mine if intricate detail but hes not boring. geezer just oozes charisma, he commands attention when he speaks with his insightful quotes from various sportstars and less geeky analyses.. well when he flexes those guns who's gonna argue. wee man McHugh wasn't as pushy yesterday and without burns patronising him he seemed more comfortable. meanwhile oisin and sidey have a nice rapport going. oisin is sharp but lets sidebotton lead... sidey leads but is in awe of his allstar partner. very good coverage the beeb blew rte out of the water on this occasion. also the lack of sickening ads on the BBC makes it all the better

WELL DONE BBC 8)

Aye, you complain about RTE, I bet there was no bias on B.B.C.  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 10:15:26 PM

WELL DONE BBC 8)

the beeb were better yesterday imo

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on August 26, 2013, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 10:15:26 PM

WELL DONE BBC 8)

the beeb were better yesterday imo

Maybe you are right, I have never watched GAA on BBC.

ONeill

I thought Jordan did very well last night. I usually cringe when a Tyronie is brought in as we just don't have the voice for TV....usually 100mph. Jordan was incisive and clear and could speak at length using a bit of sense.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2013, 10:42:07 PM
I thought Jordan did very well last night. I usually cringe when a Tyronie is brought in as we just don't have the voice for TV....usually 100mph. Jordan was incisive and clear and could speak at length using a bit of sense.

I thought Jordan was very good on RTE.

lawnseed

does she still drive about in that pink horsebox :P

johnneycool

Quote from: lawnseed on August 26, 2013, 10:53:18 PM
does she still drive about in that pink horsebox :P

No, but she's one between her legs now with all the ins and outs down there...

Any craic

I just looked at the BBCNI Sports website during the All Ireland Hurling Final and there is not a mention of it, anywhere http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/ Are we surprised?