Quote from: Rossfan on October 04, 2018, 07:49:52 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on October 04, 2018, 07:30:26 PM
Quote from: caprea on October 04, 2018, 07:18:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2018, 06:57:54 PM
a professional GAA is never going to happen

Why?

Revenue.
Exactly -money isn't there for it.
32 football teams and say top 16 hurling teams = 1,440 professional players who'd have to get about €70k each to make it worte their while giving up work for 10 years  = about €10m on wages.
Add in managers, coaches trainers, administrators,  bottle carriers,  tea ladies etc probably  €2m more.
Insurance,travel,....

There won't be that many of teams. Nothing near. 10-12 teams in football.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: caprea on October 04, 2018, 07:51:43 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2018, 07:42:50 PM
Were there not a few clubs in Dublin offering decent culchies a few quid to play for them??

But sure that's nothing really to do with it in respect.

The best intercounty players generate income, millions a year, that's why the game will go pro in the next few years.

So where does that income of millions go ? And what is it being used for? Some buck eejits on here
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Of course money is not there for 32 counties! The population of this country is to small (Except for Dublin). The problem is that more and more is being asked of players - especially Division One teams.

Dublin will fast track some direction sooner than we think.

caprea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2018, 07:54:28 PM
Were there not a few clubs in Dublin offering decent culchies a few quid to play for them??

The best intercounty players generate income, millions a year, that's why the game will go pro in the next few years.

So where does that income of millions go ? And what is it being used for? Some buck eejits on here

Goes to games development, improving stadia, salaries of staff.

Got to ask-  if I'm the buck eejit then why am I having to explain this to you?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: caprea on October 04, 2018, 07:59:25 PM

So out of all that what's left?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pbat

I am all for endorsement but only if there is a level of fair play and transparency, there is things the GAA could implement to even the financial differences and bring the association back towards the amateur organisation most of us grew up loving. Some of the ideas may seem radical but might take a bit of an overhaul and something dramatic to bring the grassroots back into the fold.

1. Player Endorsements - If Adidas want to pay Joe Canning 20k for an ad fine but it gets approved from Croke Park. The 20K goes into a pool with all other endorsements over the year and then is split evenly among 64 counties panels at the end of the year. All players sign a commitment each January that this the only way endorsements are to be done and anything outside of this is a breach of the rules resulting in suspensions.

2. Sponsorship - If AIG reckon Dublin worth 1 million a year and Simply Fruits deal is 50k a year to Armagh (dont know what actual figures just an example) fine but all 32 sponsorship deals are approved at central council and the pool of funds distributed between 32 counties. AIG still getting the big advertisement so the amounts paid wouldn't drop of.

3. Outside Managers - No club or county can have a manager/couch/trainer from outside that club/county. Will not totally eradicate the brown envelopes but will definitely reduce the mercenaries. If a club/county can not genuinely get a inside man then they make there case to the county board/Croke Park. It will encourage more underage managers in clubs/counties because they believe if they can prove themselves there is really a chance of stepping up.

4. Club Transfers - With the improving roads and transport links no transfer will be considered for adult players that are within 80 miles of the players home clubs unless like a transfer currently within in a county the club the player is leaving signs it. Any adult player is only entitled to one transfer in a lifetime thus meaning they cannot return to there own club they started with when the cash cow of the big clubs dry up or age catches up with them.( This does not apply to international transfers ).

5. America - Anyone who decides to go to play in the states for a summer cannot play club or county football in Ireland until January of the follow year. Might stop players going for the dollar for 2 months then back in September for club championship. People will argue about the students. They can still go earn there summer money but that comes at a cost with no club to fall back to. It might be harsh on some but will stop lads announcing the morning after the county is beat they are gone and wont hang around for the qualifiers.

A lot of people will probably think these are bullsh*t ideas but I just feel the whole association needs to try something different. 

caprea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2018, 08:18:51 PM

If the game goes pro it will work like all other pro sport, clubs will get cash fundraise and through club subs. And the elite teams will have to raise money through gate receipts, sponsors and tv and offer the best players contracts.

The GAA are a far less important organization as they haven't as many responsibilities to run every aspect of  the entire sport. County boards similarly run clubs but won't have county teams to watch out for anymore.

The most important people in GAA these days are the best intercounty players. Without them there's no full stadiums or tv deals. The organization will form in what ever direction they want it to go.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: caprea on October 04, 2018, 08:49:36 PM

If the game goes pro it will work like all other pro sport, clubs will get cash fundraise and through club subs. And the elite teams will have to raise money through gate receipts, sponsors and tv and offer the best players contracts.

The GAA are a far less important organization as they haven't as many responsibilities to run every aspect of  the entire sport. County boards similarly run clubs but won't have county teams to watch out for anymore.

The most important people in GAA these days are the best intercounty players. Without them there's no full stadiums or tv deals. The organization will form in what ever direction they want it to go.

I'd rather not go if it turns out like that.. and it's not going to happen

caprea

Quote from: pbat on October 04, 2018, 08:39:12 PM
I am all for endorsement but only if there is a level of fair play and transparency, there is things the GAA could implement to even the financial differences and bring the association back towards the amateur organisation most of us grew up loving. Some of the ideas may seem radical but might take a bit of an overhaul and something dramatic to bring the grassroots back into the fold.

1. Player Endorsements - If Adidas want to pay Joe Canning 20k for an ad fine but it gets approved from Croke Park. The 20K goes into a pool with all other endorsements over the year and then is split evenly among 64 counties panels at the end of the year. All players sign a commitment each January that this the only way endorsements are to be done and anything outside of this is a breach of the rules resulting in suspensions.

2. Sponsorship - If AIG reckon Dublin worth 1 million a year and Simply Fruits deal is 50k a year to Armagh (dont know what actual figures just an example) fine but all 32 sponsorship deals are approved at central council and the pool of funds distributed between 32 counties. AIG still getting the big advertisement so the amounts paid wouldn't drop of.

3. Outside Managers - No club or county can have a manager/couch/trainer from outside that club/county. Will not totally eradicate the brown envelopes but will definitely reduce the mercenaries. If a club/county can not genuinely get a inside man then they make there case to the county board/Croke Park. It will encourage more underage managers in clubs/counties because they believe if they can prove themselves there is really a chance of stepping up.

4. Club Transfers - With the improving roads and transport links no transfer will be considered for adult players that are within 80 miles of the players home clubs unless like a transfer currently within in a county the club the player is leaving signs it. Any adult player is only entitled to one transfer in a lifetime thus meaning they cannot return to there own club they started with when the cash cow of the big clubs dry up or age catches up with them.( This does not apply to international transfers ).

5. America - Anyone who decides to go to play in the states for a summer cannot play club or county football in Ireland until January of the follow year. Might stop players going for the dollar for 2 months then back in September for club championship. People will argue about the students. They can still go earn there summer money but that comes at a cost with no club to fall back to. It might be harsh on some but will stop lads announcing the morning after the county is beat they are gone and wont hang around for the qualifiers.

A lot of people will probably think these are bullsh*t ideas but I just feel the whole association needs to try something different.

Holy fcuk..You really have very little time for people's personal liberty or freedom don't you?

From the Bunker

We are becoming an Association of Rules trying to keep the show on the road!

The sad thing is what made the Game great are the things that will hold it back in the future!

Baile Brigín 2

Why?

Revenue

Also the fact that most of the administration is done voluntary...
As it is in soccer and rugby

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 04, 2018, 10:23:04 PM

Why?

Revenue

Also the fact that most of the administration is done voluntary...
As it is in soccer and rugby

I don't know the money made by the soccer/football association or how much the average wage is for the professional players in Ireland, so can you enlighten me as to the success of Irish soccer and how it can be seen as a blueprint for the GAA to use and start paying its members?

thewobbler

- Bernard, it's John here.

- Well John, how are ye?

- Not bad, bit busy. But sure ye know. Anyhow, that €20k you got from SuperValu, we need to distribute it among all county players.

- Sounds fair I suppose. How many are there these days? I'd like them all to get a wee touch.

- Well we estimate 64 times 30, so 2,000 players in round money.

- I think you're a bit light there John. I hear Armagh carry a panel of 55 these days. And you know what, I'm determined that the young lad who's been training for the past month gets his share too. It's only fair he's treated the same as them lads who've not missed a season in 15 years.

- Your've probably right Bernard. Let's call it 40 per panel. So 2,700 odd players.

- We can't forget New York or London now John, can we?

- Oh you're right. So 2,800 or so.

- Thanks John. So that'll be roughly €7.15 or so a man. I guess though we will need to pay someone in the GAA to find out those 2,800 player names and addresses, and write 2,800 cheques.

- I suppose we would Bernard. Would probably take a week or two to sort that out.

- So maybe a fiver a man after admin costs then? Enough for a pint I suppose.

- Everyone likes a free pint Bernard.

- That they do John. That they do. Tell me something though. You lads wouldn't possibly be able to divide a car 2,800 ways would you?

- Ah no, that would be madness.

- Grand, I'll ask SuperValu for a car next year instead.

trueblue1234

Quote from: caprea on October 04, 2018, 08:49:36 PM

Your starting from a false starting point there. I think you'd fine that many GAA people if push came to shove would forego the county set up for club. So if the GAA were to manufacture 10-12 teams as you think, they'd lose huge interest in the county following population, who would quite happily stick to their club. And then there would be no full Stadia, TV deals etc either so the money would drain out even quicker due to the additional costs of professionalism.
The GAA won't go professional in the next 10 years. Not a hope. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

I've been to a lot of club championship games recently, hurling/football, I've seen more at our club games and more passion shown by their supporters than at our own county teams games, now that probably says more about the state of Antrim at intercounty level and not having a county stadium but the point is, come championship time at club level and if the timing is right around the club games you will bring out the crowds, I'd rather see that than start paying for professional players to do the same stuff.

There is no will for it, if a player feels he's doing too much and its affecting his life, step aside, there will be someone else there to fill his boots.