The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

In 1990 I was still playing GAA and rugby, wouldn't have had much interest in soccer to be honest, but yes can remember the penalty shoot out and then Toto Schillaci.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Boycey on July 06, 2018, 03:32:12 PM
Absolutely mental times.. It's hard to relate to someone who is too young to remember it how batshit crazy the whole country went...

28 fecking years ago  :o

I remember the shoot out v Romania. I was sitting in Hineys in Ferbane, they used to have a few sections with high stools around tables, and every so often a little wooden partition to separate the booths. I was sitting on one of them, and when Packie saved Timofte's shot, I jumped up and cracked the plaster on the ceiling. It was still cracked until about 5 years ago when they remodeled :)

Boycey

Ive loads of memories but my main one is from the quarter finals by which time I'd made my way to London to work for the summer. We went to Kiiburn high Rd to watch it in McGoverns. The place was stuffed from about 4 hours before the game. After the defeat thousands poured out onto the High Rd from the dozen of so Irish Bars and a huge singsong began with every rebel song getting a lusty rendition. We danced around and on top of cars as the local constabulary watched on til they decided after an hour so we'd blocked one of London's main arteries for long enough and moved us on.

The night England were knocked on penos I remember an older Irish guy who looked as though he'd not got a pot to piss in parading up and down the High Rd with a huge German flag on a pole..

AZOffaly

longballin

RTE commentator trying to claw back from calling that a Bonnaresque goalkeeping error!  :D

Capt Pat

At least Packie only made one notable mistake in a game.

longballin

It was memorable that's for sure but he had many good days too. Terry Phelan was a nitemare that day too. Second round V Holland in Orlando... USA '94.

gallsman

AZOffaly

I think Uruguay are going to turn turk. Anyone else wondering if Suarez will hold it together?

Gold

Football fans missed Cavani today.

Hate Gary Neville
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."