The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingmad

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on January 13, 2017, 09:57:41 PM
If some people here got there way there wouldnt even be 13-16 teams to choose, and before people scoff at the moment there are 24 seperate clubs participating in adult hurling in laois, on these fourms in the last year or so ive heard people want kyle to be absolved by borris/kilcotton, ballypickas by abbeyleix/ballinakill trumera by mountrath, colt clonad and shanahoe to amalgamate, same with castletown and slieve bloom timahoe slieve margy, graiguecullen and mountmellick are major football areas so the likelyhood of gaining a counth player from these areas is low, all that leaves you with a pick of around 14 clubs

I wonder if Joe Foyle had access to a senior club could he have developed into a county player? Was always strong up until u21 and im sure he still hurls with timahoe

SpeculativeEffort

SH A Dublin South 3-23 Laois 0-7.
Really worrying result today. Are all Laois schools involved in this team? Are the underage structures working and functional or are we really falling behind? We think we cant promote hurling in emo, mountmellick, stradbally etc etc but here are a group of well resourced, well prepared south dubs given our hurlers from traditional areas an absolute lesson. Very worrying.

redsetanta

The team that took t othe field today is effectively this years minor team. Very worrying scoreline indeed!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on January 14, 2017, 07:28:24 PM
The team that took t othe field today is effectively this years minor team. Very worrying scoreline indeed!
Minus the Mountrath players at the very least, any others?

mountrath1

After been present at the game today, the big difference that was evident aside from the scoreboard was the sheer physical size difference of both squads. It is very clear that Dublin's development over the last few years has included both skill development, but also functional/physical development. It is an area that has to be addressed asap within the county. From the game and team that lined out, approx. 5/6 will start as there was anyting from 12/13 possible starters missing due to been involved with other schools.

redsetanta

Is there much point having a schools team if 1. they don't include certain schools and 2. if they are taking hammerings like today? Mountrath are in the Senior B so what's the point in a schools team playing A if they don't have the Mountrath lads? I can't see the benefit.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

mountrath1

its a hard one to say Redsetanta...exposing them to the intensity of A type hurling is great, but taking a bad defeat like that proves nor helps no one in the long term. But physicality needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Players need to be educated into the reality of functional movement, but planned by coaches with the proper educational background into this development process

TP Ashe

A number of probable starters were unavailable as they are too young and a few more are in school in Johnstown.

Likes of Podge Delaney, the 2 Comerford's, PJ Daly, Ciaran Conroy and Joe Phelan would make a big difference.

Not saying they would redress a margin of defeat like that but would certainly help.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: mountrath1 on January 14, 2017, 08:20:53 PM
its a hard one to say Redsetanta...exposing them to the intensity of A type hurling is great, but taking a bad defeat like that proves nor helps no one in the long term. But physicality needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Players need to be educated into the reality of functional movement, but planned by coaches with the proper educational background into this development process

Functional being the key word.
Phrases like "Leg Day", "Chest Day" etc have no place in a serious GAA player's lingo.

We are effectively talking S&C here. Dress it up how you like.
Physicality and Strength, while related, are not the same thing.
There was a big difference in approach taken to physical training with Laois minors last year, compared to the previous couple of years.
If you were to ignore everything else you could claim that the pre 2016 model was more successful.
It's not that simplistic, but it's also possible that there is some element of truth in it.
Pirlo once said that "warm ups were like masturbation for S&C coaches", a good quote that ignores much science.
HOWEVER I am beginning to regard the obsession with quantitative measuring and the collection of masses of data on players physical performances rather sceptically.

As far as I am concerned we need players with a base level of strength that converts seamlessly to power (i.e.Speed). These players must maintain high levels of cardio vascular endurance and enough flexibility to allow agility and injury prevention. Underage players and training with body weight alone is something I consider valuable.
Hitting gym targets & increasing PBs should be very very very secondary.

I'll post-face all of the above with the fact that I have no S&C qualification. BUT I have some experience in the area.

Anyways, I was not there today, but I don't think there is any reason to expect this year's minors to be particularly strong?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

mountrath1

great post though Keyser!! well approached. positive oulooks

SpeculativeEffort

Cant claim I was at the game but having watched Laois teams for long enough I often wonder is it actual strength we are missing or intensity. Yes we often enter games with players of smaller stature than other counties but rarely do we see those players play with fire or intensity to redress the balance. We often see teams almost accept their fate. They are told Dublin are stronger and fitter so almost accept it before they take the field. Where is the defiance? The belief that we can mix it? The attitude of asking questions of the opposition no matter who they are. Our biggest issue was always mentality and it continues on and off the field.

redsetanta

We all have a vested interest in this and we as supporters are just as bad.

SpeculativeEffort

Agreed but how can we improve our attitudes? How can we create an atmosphere of improving ourselves instead of comparing ourselves to other counties? People have said nobody wanted to manage our county minors this year. Why? Surely if they are not our strongest group they need more and better help than other years. That would worry me. Apart from a small number of coaches the rest are acting out of self interest rather than Laois' best interest.

finbar o tool

Keyser you are bang on, Functional is the key word. But that comes from S&C. In Kilkenny and Dublin and other counties they now have S&C coaches screening players on their functional movement, from U14 upwards, and giving them corrective exercises, they are also doing the "normal" S&C with them but age appropriate, and educating them on diet and lifestyle. While i dont think physical size is a major issue, the functional movement aspect is very important, also helps to prevent common injuries occurring in the future.
I may be wrong but i dont think we have that level of detail in Laois development set up! Not saying its the answer to all our problems but the whole thing needs to be overhauled or reviewed at least.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

Quote from: hurlingmad on January 14, 2017, 05:01:34 PM
I wonder if Joe Foyle had access to a senior club could he have developed into a county player? Was always strong up until u21 and im sure he still hurls with timahoe
Don't like commenting on individuals like this. But did he ever make a county underage team? He certainly never came close to being one of the stronger players on one.

The answer to your question is almost certainly no!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......