Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2014, 10:23:27 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-croke-park-must-take-from-rich-and-give-to-poor-30694884.html

Most GAA people know little or nothing about the GPA but if they consult their website they will get plenty of information.

Here are a few questions of interest to the GAA public that you will not see answered on the website:

1. How many players are registered, paid-up members of the GPA? And how many players attended the recent AGM of the GPA?

2. Are the detailed financial statements of the GPA available for disclosure to all GAA members as with other branches of the GAA? If not why not ?

3. How much money per year is given to the GPA from the GAA?

4. How many Dublin players have been beneficiaries of funding in any capacity from the GPA in the past three years?

5. How many players from Leitrim or Longford have been beneficiaries of funding in any capacity from the GPA in the past three years?

6. Is it the policy of the GPA to insist on players being compensated for loss of wages if a game is fixed for a weekday thereby preventing such games being played, as happened to the scheduled Carlow v Laois fixture?

7. How many paid employees, full-time and part-time, are working for the GPA?

8. How does the GPA intend to make proposals for change in relation to fixtures, Championship structures and similar matters? Will they put forward motions to Congress through county boards?

9. What is the view of the GPA regarding members who travel abroad for the summer months leaving their clubs without their services?

10. Will the GPA always exclude club players only from services supplied by the GPA and presently paid for by the GAA?

Eugene McGee rides to the rescue of O'Rourke

Some interesting questions posed by Eugene McGee, I think that the whole purpose of the GPA's existence, functioning and purpose is about to stir debate over the next few weeks. I think McGee knows full well that Dublin players have been beneficiaries of the GPA funding and that Longford and Leitrim have received diddly squat, hence why he has asked questions 4 & 5.

He also probably knows full well that the accounts are not available for inspection and also probably knows that some top brass are drawing salaries from the company. Looking at Dessie Farrells article he doesn't seem to be hiding the fact that fixtures congestion and championship structure seems to be way down their agenda but financial assistance for top players and former top players seem to be the main purpose of their existence. McGee knows full well the answer to most of these questions and it will be interesting to hear Dessie Farrell's response to this latest article.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Jinxy on October 27, 2014, 02:58:56 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2014, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: ck on October 27, 2014, 08:52:22 AM
I'm not anti GPA but can anyone tell me EXACTLY what they stand for? We all know the problems within GAA on fixtures and too many competitions etc but what value added do the GPA bring bar line the pockets of the very elite?

Did you not read Dessie Farrells article that is linked above,  that's what the GPA are doing,  all of that.

'Despite representing county players the GPA has made several submissions and provides player representation in an attempt to solve many of the perceived issues within the game which impact on both club and county players. Our members are club players, they want to see the problems resolved, they are fed up with the almost prejudicial blame game.'

What was the nature of these submissions, specifically with respect to club fixtures do you know BC?
Not doubting they were made, I just never heard any reference to them up to now.

No idea Jinxy,  the GPA have always struck me as an elitist organisaition who are only interested in what the county players do.  They probably have made representations in regards to county player welfare which by association have had some relevance to the average Joe club man but it was no way any part of their main agenda.

roney

Quote from: yellowcard on October 27, 2014, 03:07:13 PM
McGee knows full well the answer to most of these questions and it will be interesting to hear Dessie Farrell's response to this latest article.

something along the lines of

"Right boys, there's a Longford fcker at it now. On my command, Tweet the bejasus outta him"

?

From the Bunker

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-croke-park-must-take-from-rich-and-give-to-poor-30694884.html

Most GAA people know little or nothing about the GPA but if they consult their website they will get plenty of information.

Here are a few questions of interest to the GAA public that you will not see answered on the website:

1. How many players are registered, paid-up members of the GPA? And how many players attended the recent AGM of the GPA?

2. Are the detailed financial statements of the GPA available for disclosure to all GAA members as with other branches of the GAA? If not why not ?

4. How many Dublin players have been beneficiaries of funding in any capacity from the GPA in the past three years?

5. How many players from Leitrim or Longford have been beneficiaries of funding in any capacity from the GPA in the past three years?

6. Is it the policy of the GPA to insist on players being compensated for loss of wages if a game is fixed for a weekday thereby preventing such games being played, as happened to the scheduled Carlow v Laois fixture?

8. How does the GPA intend to make proposals for change in relation to fixtures, Championship structures and similar matters? Will they put forward motions to Congress through county boards?

9. What is the view of the GPA regarding members who travel abroad for the summer months leaving their clubs without their services?

10. Will the GPA always exclude club players only from services supplied by the GPA and presently paid for by the GAA?

Heartburn and EMG articles go hand in hand! Now Chairman of the Football Review Committee Eugene McGee would want to look at his own work with the GAA before he would want to go telling other people how to do theirs.

Jinxy

bubbles o dwyer @johnodwyer14
Follow

Colm o Rourke doesn't no what he's talking about the @gaelicplayers do immense work for past and present players #spoofer

I get the feeling reading some of the player responses (as above) that a lot of them didn't even read the article.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 27, 2014, 03:33:30 PM

Heartburn and EMG articles go hand in hand! Now Chairman of the Football Review Committee Eugene McGee would want to look at his own work with the GAA before he would want to go telling other people how to do theirs.

Using your logic then only the Taoiseach and his predecessors should have a view as to how the country should be run. At least state which bits of his questions you disagree with or see as nonsense rather than shooting down the message because he is someone you clearly have no time for.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on October 27, 2014, 04:36:02 PM
Follow

Colm o Rourke doesn't no what he's talking about the @gaelicplayers do immense work for past and present players #spoofer

I get the feeling reading some of the player responses (as above) that a lot of them didn't even read the article.

The person who sent around the text from the GPA is the same person who warned/texted all journalists during the last Cork strike to not print that a funeral boycott was organised

Jinxy

Anyone and everyone within the GAA is entitled to an opinion on this.
I disagree with a lot of the stuff Eugene McGee comes out with in general but he has posed a number of valid and reasonable questions, which I would hope Dessie & Co. will respond to.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on October 27, 2014, 09:37:18 PM
I disagree with a lot of the stuff Eugene McGee comes out with in general but he has posed a number of valid and reasonable questions, which I would hope Dessie & Co. will respond to.

Next thing we can expect are Sinn Fein-esque leaks telling us Eugene has demons and problems and Dessie hopes he gets the help he needs!

Jinxy

I think the GPA have misread the temperature in the room on this one as Colm seems to have quite a bit of support, and not all of it from cranky oul fellas either (no offence Eugene!).

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on October 27, 2014, 09:37:18 PM
Exactly.
I generally think eugene mcgee is a bit of a spoofer, but he raises some valid points here.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on October 27, 2014, 04:36:02 PM
Follow

I'm sure the GPA / GAA have nothing to hide and that they will in time provide reassurance to all. There is a school of thought that the GPA are there paying a lot of salaries and ticking a lot of boxes pretending to be doing a lot, talking a lot but delivering little. But I would think they are much more than a tick box talking shop.

Zulu

Not surprised to see the GPA bashing here but it's been clear for a long time that they can do no right for some folks. But it's quite astonishing that they are getting criticised for club fixtures. For starters they do not represent club players so it isn't within their remit but more importantly club fixtures are the remit of the GAA and county boards and could be addressed by these bodies if they so wished so the blame for club fixtures should be laid at the door of the GAA, county boards, clubs themselves and GAA members/fans like your goodselves.

The GPA do what they do and are apparently doing a good job if the comments of their members is reflective. It's easy to criticise like Colm did without knowing the facts, the Mayo/Kerry semi final in Limerick being an example of an ill-informed criticism.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on October 28, 2014, 11:34:48 AM
Not surprised to see the GPA bashing here but it's been clear for a long time that they can do no right for some folks. But it's quite astonishing that they are getting criticised for club fixtures. For starters they do not represent club players so it isn't within their remit but more importantly club fixtures are the remit of the GAA and county boards and could be addressed by these bodies if they so wished so the blame for club fixtures should be laid at the door of the GAA, county boards, clubs themselves and GAA members/fans like your goodselves.

The GPA do what they do and are apparently doing a good job if the comments of their members is reflective. It's easy to criticise like Colm did without knowing the facts, the Mayo/Kerry semi final in Limerick being an example of an ill-informed criticism.

I wouldn't call it GPA bashing Zulu. I've no doubt they do a lot of good but a but more transparency wouldnt go amiss.

JoG2

Quote from: Zulu on October 28, 2014, 11:34:48 AM

just full time county players?