UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Anyone else sick of these guys blatant ignorance towards the GAA? Firstly BBC announced an end to their gaa coverage (which was half an hour a week for a few weeks during the summer). They cited lack of viewers which I find hard to believe considering RTE's success. The same guys can show 4 hours of live milk cup coverage this Friday night as well as interactive games all week. They can show the Irish cup final live between Dungannon Swifts and Linfield. They could (not can!) show most Northen Ireland home games live. They showed the u19 rugby world cup games live as well as Ireland interantionals. The only gaa game they have left is the mccrory cup final and they feel they have to show it cause the rugby school final is on that day to. Who do they think theyre kidding - would the orange orfer parades which they show on the 12th get more viewers than Doengal Monaghan for example would have got last week? If they had the right gaa coverage it would get twice the viewers of the Irish Cup final.

Moving on to UTV who also ignore the gaa. I watched their news coverage regularly at 6 in the evening. In the run up to Northern Ireland or Ulster games they have build up all week and these games dont attract 15000. This Saturday Tyrone will play in front of 50000 but there has barely been a mention of the game. Tonight their sport coverage started with 2 phone calls to here what was happening in the Swifts game in Lithuania and build up to the Glentoran game who were 5 0 down from the 1st leg. They then showed coverage of the Milk Cup. After this they moved on the WAKEBOARDING (think thats what its called) - theyre reall taking the micky now! After that we has the result of the competition for the man u glentoran game and finally news of a death in the Linfield club. I can ignore there lack of coverage during the winter but in the height of the gaa season this is disgusting. Adrian Logan hang your head in shame!

Rant over.

pintsofguinness

QuoteFirstly BBC announced an end to their gaa coverage (which was half an hour a week for a few weeks during the summer). They cited lack of viewers which I find hard to believe considering RTE's success.
Are you serious? First I heard of that!

Good post there.  Logan is a complete gobshite. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM
Anyone else sick of these guys blatant ignorance towards the GAA? Firstly BBC announced an end to their gaa coverage (which was half an hour a week for a few weeks during the summer). They cited lack of viewers which I find hard to believe considering RTE's success. The same guys can show 4 hours of live milk cup coverage this Friday night as well as interactive games all week. They can show the Irish cup final live between Dungannon Swifts and Linfield. They could (not can!) show most Northen Ireland home games live. They showed the u19 rugby world cup games live as well as Ireland interantionals. The only gaa game they have left is the mccrory cup final and they feel they have to show it cause the rugby school final is on that day to. Who do they think theyre kidding - would the orange orfer parades which they show on the 12th get more viewers than Doengal Monaghan for example would have got last week? If they had the right gaa coverage it would get twice the viewers of the Irish Cup final.

Moving on to UTV who also ignore the gaa. I watched their news coverage regularly at 6 in the evening. In the run up to Northern Ireland or Ulster games they have build up all week and these games dont attract 15000. This Saturday Tyrone will play in front of 50000 but there has barely been a mention of the game. Tonight their sport coverage started with 2 phone calls to here what was happening in the Swifts game in Lithuania and build up to the Glentoran game who were 5 0 down from the 1st leg. They then showed coverage of the Milk Cup. After this they moved on the WAKEBOARDING (think thats what its called) - theyre reall taking the micky now! After that we has the result of the competition for the man u glentoran game and finally news of a death in the Linfield club. I can ignore there lack of coverage during the winter but in the height of the gaa season this is disgusting. Adrian Logan hang your head in shame!

Rant over.

I agree with you, but you'd be better drafting all that in a letter to both organisations. I'd imagine that the BBC, being a public body, would be obliged to formally reply.

Star Spangler

The most effective thing you could do is switch off and watch RTE instead.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Star Spangler on August 02, 2007, 06:56:46 PM
The most effective thing you could do is switch off and watch RTE instead.

Not possible for some, but that's not the point anyway. The BBC are our public service broadcaster, where our f**king licence fees go, their attitude ti the GAA is a total disgrace. Agree entirely with Tyrone Dreamer.
And why the f**k was the show on a Wednesday night in the first place, neither here nor there for review/preview purposes.
The poor audiences argument is total bullshit, put it at a decent fecking time and day

Tyrone Dreamer

Hope I didnt annoy to many wakeboarding fans - is that what its called?

wobbller

The war may be over in political terms but the inbuilt bigotry is continuing and in fact it's increasing.MLA's should be the first port of call but I they are off on their "teacher length" holdays at present but sure they are elected for another while now and will do nothing to canvass support until the next election. The Irish News should up the campaign they had earlier in the season and invite fat Nolan to reply instead of showing up at some Club in the midle of Tyrone to try out Gaa--go try something that is new like the rubbish that UTV showed earlier--WAKEBOARDING.

inisceithleann

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on August 02, 2007, 07:11:41 PM
Hope I didnt annoy to many wakeboarding fans - is that what its called?

Aye it's wakeboaring. I live beside the Erne and I didn't even bother going down to it. But in saying that it got Enniskillen on the telly and that doesn't happen that often. :)

In a more serious note, the GAA coverage is a disgrace. The biggest spectator sport in the North should be getting live coverage never mind a midweek discussion and highlights programme. You'd wonder who runs the sports departments and what sports they're into. I doubt Logie has much of a say at UTV nor Jerome at the BBC.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Star Spangler

Wakeboarding is class.  I've one for sale if anyone's interested.  8)

snatter

UTV and BBC should either rebrodacast RTE's offerings, or support the terrestrial broadcasting of RTE into all NI homes, not just those daft enough to subscribe to SKY.

Tyrone Dreamer

Is Loggie not head of sport in UTV or sports editor? If he is you'd like to think he'd have some input.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on August 02, 2007, 07:45:48 PM
Is Loggie not head of sport in UTV or sports editor? If he is you'd like to think he'd have some input.
he is sports editor, wouldnt what goes on the sport news be his call?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Fear Boirche

One of the problems, as far as I know, is that the GAA sells the Championship rights as a full package. So say UTV or BBC wanted to show all the Ulster Championship matches, they would have to buy the whole package which includes the other three provinces and they're just not going to do that. I don't know how they manage to show standalone games though.

Tyrone Dreamer

Even if they cant have live matches surely they can have equal coverage in the news. The sports news is a joke. If they can have build up to Northern Ireland soccer games and ulster rugby all weelk in the run up to big games surely they could do the same for the gaa. Even a mention in relation to injuries etc would be better than nothing. If ulster or Northern Ireland were attracting the same crowds you'd never here the end of it. Dungannon Swifts have average attendances of about 200 but have had more live minutes on BBC NI this year than Tyrone or Armagh and probably mentioned in the news more. In fact Id say theyve definately been mentioned more. Each Irish league club gets a mention on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday on UTV/BBC and usual during the week again.

john mcgill

The Ulster Council has a leadership role to play in this.  Perhaps one of the many paid employees who lurk here could bring it to Danny Murphy's attention.