Gaelic fan wants fair deal from Radio Foyle

Started by snatter, February 14, 2009, 07:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

http://www.derryjournal.com/3911/Gaelic-fan-wants-fair-.4979058.jp

Published Date: 13 February 2009

As a local gaelic games follower I have closely monitored the sports coverage offered by Radio Foyle in 2008 due to a perception that local gaelic games and clubs do not get the local coverage deserved from a local Radio station.
This is no longer a perception, there is now no doubt that Radio Foyle is failing local gaelic sport.

While local cricket clubs, local soccer clubs and the local rugby club all received live updates and/or commentaries from various games during the year, there was not one live commentary, or even live update that I heard from any gaelic match, club or county. Many commentaries come from the Brandywell and rightly so.

Not one live commentary from Celtic Park during the whole year, club or county.
No reports from the games of local clubs in the Derry League or Championship - Steelstown, Dolans, Faughanvale etc.
The exploits of Faughanvale were left to Nell McCafferty and RTE.
Brian Dooher, the Tyrone Captain who lifted the Sam Maguire Cup for a second time this year is from the Clann na nGael Club, which is in the Radio Foyle's catchment area. Ever hear his club mentioned in sports reports from Radio Foyle?
However, I have heard reports from matches involving Donemana Cricket Club.

It's important to state here that I fully agree with the local coverage by a local Radio Station of local soccer, cricket, rugby etc.
I enjoy many sports, it's just the case that gaelic games are under-represented. Since I am a regular listener to Radio Foyle, enjoying many of its programmes, I don't really want to have to tune in to other stations to get the coverage gaelic games deserve.

Maybe I'm biased? Okay let's put it to the test.
Derry are the current National League Champions.
Let's hear how many live updates and/or commentaries come from their Division 1 games this year against Kerry (H), Dublin (A), Tyrone (A), Galway (H), Mayo (A), Donegal (H) and Westmeath (H). Some big matches there, but are the away ones too far away? Not when compared with live coverage during the year from Derry City's away matches in Dublin, Cork etc. Could we even have one game?

Tyrone are the All-Ireland Champions and part of the county falls within the Radio Foyle 'catchment area' as does part of Donegal by the way. Cricket reports and live updates/commentary in the last year have taken the local listeners as far as Strabane at least. Let's listen for how many live updates/commentaries there are of Tyrone's National League matches for local fans, including local Derry gaelic fans who have an in interest in Tyrone's progress and even more interest in the lack of progress!!

Let's hear how many times in 2009 the progress of the main gaelic clubs in the city are mentioned, including the hurling clubs of Na Magha and Burt. Remember Radio Foyle is a local Radio Station. In 2008 you were more likely to hear of Everton and Sunderland. All that local gaelic followers ask for is a fair coverage and profile as the gaelic games season starts to build momentum. Can I also state that I'm not a member of any club mentioned in this letter, nor do I represent the views of these clubs.

Fair play, Doire.
NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED

Zapatista

Do they cover the rare negative moments in local GAA?

It would be good to see their responce.

I don't know you from Adam yet I believe every word of your letter even without RF responding.

bailestil

The derry journal have a cheek printing this. Their gaa coverage is shocking. They copy all their coverage from the midulster. Their sports editor wouldn't know about anything that happens outside the brandywell.
I think i have only ever seen 3 or 4 club match reports in the journal.
For example yesterdays journal back page was taken up with a preview of a derry city preseason friendly. Derry's national league game got a small snippet at the bottom!

Orior

Its the same in Belfast - GAA is suppressed by the media
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

mylestheslasher

I'm not sure what is worse. Having no coverage of GAA on your local radio station or having full coverage which is done so badly it is difficult to stay tuned. The latter is what we have in Cavan via Northern Sound radio.

jodyb

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 14, 2009, 02:43:06 PM
I'm not sure what is worse. Having no coverage of GAA on your local radio station or having full coverage which is done so badly it is difficult to stay tuned. The latter is what we have in Cavan via Northern Sound radio.
Better to be loking at it than lookin for it.....

dublinfella

At the risk of asking a bleedin obvious question, do the local GAA club grounds have press facilities like the Brandywell?

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on February 15, 2009, 11:14:53 PM
At the risk of asking a bleedin obvious question, do the local GAA club grounds have press facilities like the Brandywell?
Who cares . What ever happened to the day of a Man and notepad or in today's terms a Man, Digital camera, phone and wireless internet?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dublinfella

Quote from: Gnevin on February 15, 2009, 11:26:04 PM
Who cares . What ever happened to the day of a Man and notepad or in today's terms a Man, Digital camera, phone and wireless internet?

What use exactly is a notepad, digital camera and wireless internet to a radio commentator?

If you want radio feeds you need infrastructure. Whatever about Celtic Park, I doubt local clubs have that.

armaghniac

QuoteLet's hear how many times in 2009 the progress of the main gaelic clubs in the city are mentioned,

Score updates, after the event reports etc do not require particular complex infrastructure.

Celtic park has featured live tv broadcasts, no doubt it can cater for local radio and other venues would be no doubt be happy to work with Radio Foyle to make it possible for them to do reports.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: dublinfella on February 16, 2009, 03:51:02 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on February 15, 2009, 11:26:04 PM

What use exactly is a notepad, digital camera and wireless internet to a radio commentator?

If you want radio feeds you need infrastructure. Whatever about Celtic Park, I doubt local clubs have that.

Five FM can broadcast from our club house which wouldn't have special radio facilities other than a roof so I don't think this is really an issue.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead