Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

My thoughts too. I had her winning by 2/3 rounds.

Boycey

Would you agree though that enough informed people thought she didn't win? I mean not people like me on here but commentators, journos and ex boxers. Immediately after fight I said I thought Belgian girl was robbed but in hindsight it certainly wasn't the worst decision I ever saw. I don't think there is that much controversy about it? Just a contentious decision that more people disagree with than agree with, it happens in boxing .

Itchy

Quote from: Boycey on June 05, 2019, 10:32:30 PM
Would you agree though that enough informed people thought she didn't win? I mean not people like me on here but commentators, journos and ex boxers. Immediately after fight I said I thought Belgian girl was robbed but in hindsight it certainly wasn't the worst decision I ever saw. I don't think there is that much controversy about it? Just a contentious decision that more people disagree with than agree with, it happens in boxing .

Yeh that's the odd thing. Andy Lee on offtheball gave a commentary on It that I agree with myself.

nrico2006

Quote from: Itchy on June 05, 2019, 10:36:34 PM
Quote from: Boycey on June 05, 2019, 10:32:30 PM

Yeh that's the odd thing. Andy Lee on offtheball gave a commentary on It that I agree with myself.

Simple. Have a rematch. Listen to your coach. Utilise your superior boxing and school her. Don't get sucked into a fight. Pace yourself, it's 10 rounds not 3 or 4.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 04, 2019, 10:26:53 AM
Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2019, 11:17:43 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on June 03, 2019, 09:33:40 AM
Quote from: Main Street on June 02, 2019, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: Boycey on June 02, 2019, 12:45:50 PM
A bigger flaw in my opinion is a reluctance to give a round 10/10, most of us watching will have a couple of rounds even while the judges seem to be intructed to find a winner in each round. Take Katie's fight last night not one of the judges saw fit to give a shared round which in a close fight is mindboggling
That's not a flaw in the rules, the voting system allows for judge  to award a 10/10. However it's in the rules that as long as boxer stays standing, at least 9 points is awarded regardless.
Unless the rule has changed recently 10-8 rounds can be given without a knockdown (a fighter completely dominates his opponent but the opponent doesn't go down).
It doesn't have to be 10-9, 10-8 etc. either. A round can be scored 9-8 for example if a fighter knocks down his opponent but also gets a point deducted.
I have already posted a link where the voting system is explained
https://tinyurl.com/y49ap4nu
13.Scores can vary from the usual 10-9 outcome. If Fighter A knocks down Fighter B, the round is scored 10-8 to Fighter A. If there is a second knockdown, it is scored 10-7.
That's a very generic overview from The Evening Standard for someone who has no idea how boxing is scored. It's hardly official rules from a governing body. It's also incomplete/incorrect.

As I've stated, you can get 10-8 rounds without a knockdown in boxing. I've seen it happen before.

Pacquiao v De La Hoya
Kovalev v Hopkins

And I think
Mayweather v Gatti
Calzaghe v Lacy

From Wikipedia:

'While uncommon, if a fighter completely dominates a round but does not score a knockdown, a judge can still score that round 10-8'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_boxing
So then if a boxer gets heavily pummeled, they can on rare occasions be docked a point, fair enough. My reference in this thread was the last round of Katie's fight where on the night I would have judged it 10- 8 to the Belgian. It was later reported that Katie got out-punched 28 -10 in the 10th and Persoon's camp are moaning about 10 missing seconds from the start of the round, that had those missing seconds been added on at the end, the ref might have been persuaded to give Katie a standing count, reducing her total score by 3 points.

Boycey

You said a couple of times that 10-8 was against the rules Main Street  ;D

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I thought this article from today's Indo suggested that Katie's camp suspect the Belgian girl was drug tainted?
Katie Taylor's drug testing stand means she calls the shots for everyone

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/katie-taylors-drug-testing-stand-means-she-calls-the-shots-for-everyone-38195125.html

nrico2006

Quote from: Boycey on June 09, 2019, 09:16:00 PM

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I thought this article from today's Indo suggested that Katie's camp suspect the Belgian girl was drug tainted?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/katie-taylors-drug-testing-stand-means-she-calls-the-shots-for-everyone-38195125.html

She has asthma and had an issue last year when visited at home by a drug tester, she couldn't urinate as she had only gone before the tester arrived and eventually sent him packing as she had to go on surveillance as part of her job as a cop. She has passed 3 tests since though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Sure all the athletes have asthma, only reason why I've never made it at sport, no asthma
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 09, 2019, 09:41:39 PM
Quote from: Boycey on June 09, 2019, 09:16:00 PM

She has asthma and had an issue last year when visited at home by a drug tester, she couldn't urinate as she had only gone before the tester arrived and eventually sent him packing as she had to go on surveillance as part of her job as a cop. She has passed 3 tests since though.

Aye right enough you are quoting straight out of the piece I've linked!!

It was the whole tone of the article, Katie's camps surprise at how strong Persoon was at the end while Katie was gassing. The insistence of Blood and urine tests. The signing up to this volunteer drug testing that every one she fights will have to also sign up to

square_ball

Anyone watch the Warrington-Galahad fight? Although he was awkward as hell I thought Galahad edged that but not surprised Warrington got the decision in his hometown. On that fight Frampton will be kicking himself and Warrington will struggle against the better champions in the division.

quit yo jibbajabba

My uninformed opinion was Warrington just

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on June 15, 2019, 11:53:37 PM
Anyone watch the Warrington-Galahad fight? Although he was awkward as hell I thought Galahad edged that but not surprised Warrington got the decision in his hometown. On that fight Frampton will be kicking himself and Warrington will struggle against the better champions in the division.

Warrington edges it for me too and will probably fare better against the better fighters who are actually prepared to come and fight. Galahad looks like he has all the ability but that was a horrible display of holding and pot shorting. Surely he can't expect to nick a world title in that fashion in the champions back yard.
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

I agree with the lads above Galahad was awkward and didn't get hit much but didn't bring a whole lot offensively he needed to follow up on Warringtons misses with shots.

Warrington far from his best and Galahad given the rest of the division a glimpse of how he can be beaten!!

imtommygunn

I wouldn't say Frampton kicking himself. Warrington was far too good for him. Wonder maybe did he believe his own hype a bit and that will maybe ground him a bit.

square_ball

Fury handy win as expected though he was fighting a total bum lets be honest.

Just on Warrington I think he did underestimate Galahad. He'll be the underdog if he fights Santa Cruz or Russell. I do like him but just think he needs to develop more than just being that pressure, high work rate fighter.