All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Wasn't aware that Donnacha Walsh was 33, he's still got some engine for a man that age.

Mayo are going to have some turn over in the defence during the coming years. It really is last chance saloon for some of those guys.

rosnarun

from my sums the average of the starting teams will be Mayo 27.9 and kerry 27.4.
(though swap anthony maher into midfield and the the ages are practically the same Mayo 27.9 and kerry 28)
is a six monthe per player gap any significance or are the averages  a sign of 2 teams in their prime
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on August 18, 2017, 12:16:03 PM
from my sums the average of the starting teams will be Mayo 27.9 and kerry 27.4.
(though swap anthony maher into midfield and the the ages are practically the same Mayo 27.9 and kerry 28)
is a six monthe per player gap any significance or are the averages  a sign of 2 teams in their prime

It's the key players in their 30s that have people worried about Mayo. It's not going to be Brendan Harrison or Paddy Durcan or even DOC on all known form that's going to win this game for Mayo.. it's the old stagers who've been punch drunk more often than not the past two years.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 12:24:42 PM

It's the key players in their 30s that have people worried about Mayo. It's not going to be Brendan Harrison or Paddy Durcan or even DOC on all known form that's going to win this game for Mayo.. it's the old stagers who've been punch drunk more often than not the past two years.

Age at some levels is a state of mind! Cillian O'Connor is the same age as Danny Kirby! Both you'd imagine are in different states of mind with regards their place on the team, their experience and their journey!

PW Nally

Tell us about your recent punch drunk experiences oh sage one.

rosnarun

Experience is a major factor ,
  Where as Cillian is practically a veteran at this stage he is the kinda lad that never looked young . Solid as a rock.
id love to see Kirby tested . he has something but im not sure its enough, sunday probably not the time to find out
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Cillian O Connor as a minor in 2009 looked like a senior footballer while he's a decent club footballer Kirby at 25 still doesn't look like senior county footballer.

Mayo4Sam

How are you still spouting shite? It doesn't matter what anyone on here says about Jerry or any other players being tits

How punch drunk did Higgins or Boyle or SOS look when they were running riot against yer lads.

You've reached Tony Fearon levels of deludedness at this stage
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 18, 2017, 06:16:40 PM

How are you still spouting shite? It doesn't matter what anyone on here says about Kerry or any other players being tits

How punch drunk did Higgins or Boyle or SOS look when they were running riot against yer lads.

You've reached Tony Fearon levels of deludedness at this stage
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Captain Obvious

Donnacha Walsh out not even on the bench. A massive blow to Kerry and a big boost to Mayo.

Syferus

Mayo4Sam14

Is it too far-fetched to think that hes not injured. That someone could drop of the bench last minute to replaced in the squad by Walsh?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Real Talk

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2017, 08:30:43 PM
Donnacha Walsh out not even on the bench. A massive blow to Kerry and a big boost to Mayo.

If that is a big boost to Mayo then they might as well not turn up .... id say Kerry are going for a different structure ....then bring Walsh on at some stage to take an influential Mayo player out of it .... cut h's them Kerry boys

Syferus

Was Walsh not starting ever much of a blow even in his prime? To be honest, he always came across as just another 'guy', a player that wouldn't leave a gaping hole in a team but who never would be the winning of a game either. Kerry's Jason Doherty, so to speak. Certainly not in the Paul Galvin or TOS class, and not even in the David Moran or JOD class either.

I think in this sport we have a tendancy to reward longevity with unwarranted plaudits - Padraig Joyce was being lauded as the best forward Connacht had ever seen on his retirement, lest we forget.