Incoming President favours a tiered championship structure

Started by Jinxy, March 14, 2018, 11:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Horan favours a two-tier football championship

GAA President John Horan has revealed he hopes to see the introduction of a two-tiered football championship before his term expires.

In a wide-ranging interview in today's Herald, Aogán Ó Fearghail's successor outlined his ambitions for his presidency and they include the splitting of the football championship in two by 2021.

"I would have hopes that we would end up with a two-tiered senior football championship. That would be one of my ambitions.

"I think if we put it together properly, we may get engagement. I think the previous attempt to put together such a competition didn't come to fruition.

"So as part of that review in three years' time, I would hope that we will end up with a two-tiered competition."

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/282506

Thoughts on two tiers vs. three?
It's possible that two tiers may be more palatable to 'weaker' counties, but I think three tiers offers more scope for realistic & sustainable progression.
Still, it's a conversation that needs to happen sooner rather than later so i'm glad he's set his stall out this early.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Esmarelda

Yeah, another thread on restructuring.

Seriously though, I look forward to he approaches it, what he comes up with and how it's received.

Rossfan

Agree with Jinxy that this subject needs to be discussed.
3 tiers FOR ALL IRELANDS ONLY. 12-12-8.
Everyone still plays in their Provincials.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

joemamas

It is really common sense at this juncture.
To the counties who either voluntary or involuntary initially end up in a second tier competition,
the GAA hopefully will (and should) commit serious funds to the development of underage football in those counties.
That I believe is the only way forward.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2018, 12:51:26 PM

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Blowitupref

I don't think a GAA president has much of a say in things like this? He's there to cut ribbons for the openings of new pitches or Cente of excellences and to smile and talk a bit of Irish as cups are presented.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

magpie seanie

Three tiers equally promoted and with the junior and intermediate champions getting back into the senior All-Ireland semi finals is my favoured approach. This is progress though. I'm very hopeful for this President.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 14, 2018, 03:37:18 PM
Three tiers equally promoted and with the junior and intermediate champions getting back into the senior All-Ireland semi finals is my favoured approach. This is progress though. I'm very hopeful for this President.
Senior Semi Finals Seanie? You want the Junior Champions to be parachuted into an All Ireland semi final against Dublin and Mayo say?

Esmarelda

I'm not sure you can call it progress. Duffy advocated a tiered-championship but there was no support for it.

johnnycool

Quote from: joemamas on March 14, 2018, 01:29:57 PM
It is really common sense at this juncture.
To the counties who either voluntary or involuntary initially end up in a second tier competition,
the GAA hopefully will (and should) commit serious funds to the development of underage football in those counties.
That I believe is the only way forward.

Certainly a big spoonful of sugar will be needed to make the medicine go down and the GPA should be looking for a paid team holiday for the winning players to appease them.

Didn't happen in the hurling though!

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 03:44:54 PM
Senior Semi Finals Seanie? You want the Junior Champions to be parachuted into an All Ireland semi final against Dublin and Mayo say?
OK so - 14, 10 and 8. Junior and Inter Championships have to be played earlier and let the winners into the race for Sam.??

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 01:44:00 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2018, 12:51:26 PM

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?
Because a lot of folk think/assume that lower tier teams wouldn't be allowed in the Provincials  (like the hurley stuff).

thewobbler

Three tiers equally promoted?

You must have spent a few hours in make believe land.

Whether you like it or not, a tiered system in any sport by its very nature creates a tiered profile. You cannot and should not try to pretend that the completions are equal.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 03:44:54 PM

This is based on a plan a friend of mine drew up and I misquoted it. Junior champions play intermediate runners up for a spot in the AI semi final. 10/12/12 Senior/Inter/Junior basis (including London, NY and KK or British Champions). At least the team coming through would have won a few championship games and theoretically every county can still win Sam Maguire. 

Nothing to fear for the senior teams and counteracts practically all of the arguments against counties having to play at lower tiers.

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on March 14, 2018, 04:31:56 PM
Three tiers equally promoted?

You must have spent a few hours in make believe land.

Whether you like it or not, a tiered system in any sport by its very nature creates a tiered profile. You cannot and should not try to pretend that the completions are equal.

There are steps the GAA can take to minimise that. Guaranteed live TV coverage for one.

What's your solution?