Bloody Sunday Documentary on RTE

Started by Ash Smoker, November 17, 2020, 10:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Smoker

If you missed this last night I'd highly recommend catching up with on RTE Player.
I was familiar enough with the history of it, but this programme really added to it.
Superb viewing.

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/bloody-sunday-1920/162915880185

The Hill is Blue

Johnny McDonnell who played in goal for Dublin on Bloody Sunday had the distinction of being Dublin's longest serving player until this year when his record was surpassed by Stephen Cluxton.

As recalled in the television documentary, Johnny McDonnell was part of Michael Collins's squad and took part in the action on that Sunday morning  - before heading back to Croker to tog out for the Dubs. There was no Gibson Hotel lunch in those days.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I don't know what's wrong with me atm, i used to eat this stuff up,never watched it. Was there anything new in it?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 17, 2020, 10:00:36 PM
I don't know what's wrong with me atm, i used to eat this stuff up,never watched it. Was there anything new in it?

I eat up this stuff as well. The documentary was well produced and presented, but if you know the details of the Bloody Sunday story you won't learn anything new. But as I said, I eat this stuff up so I enjoyed this presentation of the story.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

armaghniac

I don't know if there was anything new, but it give a sense of the day though. Some things haven't changed that much in a century, the Tipp guy with the Dublin fiancée who went along to the Tipp-Dublin game, only for her to get shot by the British. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

An Watcher

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

naka

Continuing on this note there is an excellent programme on bbc iplayer called " hawkes and doves "
By Michael portillo on the British government response to the war of independence.
Reality is that the 6 county North was predetermined before the negotiations started.
Portillo quite good at these type of shows.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: naka on November 18, 2020, 07:16:42 AM
Continuing on this note there is an excellent programme on bbc iplayer called " hawkes and doves "
By Michael portillo on the British government response to the war of independence.
Reality is that the 6 county North was predetermined before the negotiations started.
Portillo quite good at these type of shows.

I've grown to really enjoy portillo. My memory of him from my younger days don't match my impression of him now. Intelligent man

magpie seanie

Thought it was a very well presented documentary. As someone said it gave you a sense of the day and how it went down. Awful times and a horrific event to have happened in our hallowed ground.

theticklemister

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 17, 2020, 10:52:28 PM
I must give it a go this weekend

I really enjoyed it lad. Especially when the auxies thought it was the men up from Tip who caused that mornings madness

Main Street

It was the first time I heard a detailed account of what actually happened at Croke Park and the aftermath.
Hard to imagine should 6 or 10 of those murdered at Bloody Sunday in Derry were shoved into the one unmarked grave.
Typical Churchillian type imperialism, 'the natives were scum'.

marty34

Get your pitches lite up on Saturday evening from  7:20 to 8:20 pm.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2020, 09:08:25 PM
It was the first time I heard a detailed account of what actually happened at Croke Park and the aftermath.
Hard to imagine should 6 or 10 of those murdered at Bloody Sunday in Derry were shoved into the one unmarked grave.

Seriously though, do you think that generals Wilford or Ford could have given less of a fiddler's fcuk where those victims ended up, either in a limestone communal pit or each a dedicated grave?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 19, 2020, 12:52:13 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2020, 09:08:25 PM

Seriously though, do you think that generals Wilford or Ford could have given less of a fiddler's fcuk where those victims ended up, either in a limestone communal pit or each a dedicated grave?
I don't give a fiddler's about the generals, I am remarking about how the murdered were treated then. Seriously though,  are you really that dumb?