Dublin v Tyrone

Started by downredblack, December 13, 2006, 03:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

wide.........

feck it, I had a few Euro on the draw!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kerry Mike

Free to Jackeens. Gormley yellow Keaney kicks short to Brogan, its keaney but wide.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Kerry Mike

Tyrone win well in second half, McGinley was my man of the match,  good result for them.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

heganboy

that had all you would need from a game- good hard physical national league- no quarter asked or given. Fair play to Tyrone, the played to a game plan in the second half and it worked for them- Dublin looked as if they ran out of steam, an Gormley and Hughes made a massive difference, stifled a lot of the space that Dublin saw in the first half. McCullagh sparked a bit of life in the forward line, his movement off the ball was excellent- Mulligan played very well in the second half. Sticks in my throat but McMenamin was very impressive- stupid sending off though- thats at least 4 weeks for him and he'll be badly missed.
I enjoyed that, these night games could catch on, ten times the value of a premiership game
Great advert for the sport
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

joemamas

great game.

the GAA could have paid millions and not gotten as positive exposure as they got from this game.

My first reaction to watching dublin for the last 30 m ins or so is that they still have a hangover from the Mayo game. What were some of their forwards trying to prove their manhood by focusing soo much on the phyiscal stuff, while tyrone kept scoring points.
Collie Moran will never be a  CHB . another one that was too focused on the phyiscal stuff.

Fair play to tyrone,

down22

guess i was wrong about gormley. he was definately match fit. great game.

Armagh4SamAgain

was it a good game. didnt c it.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

bennydorano

Overall a very good game, the proverbial game of 2 halves.  Tyrone were unbeilevably bad in the first half, I've never seen them as uncordinated and they were basically bullied by the Dubs.  The injection of experience in the second half made a huge difference, Gormley returning the bullying in spades, Hughes adding a bit of clout in Mf.  Sean Cavanagh was undoubtedly the best player on the field.

The Dubs soft underbelly exposed once again.

Shamrock Shore

Just in from Croker.

Like a feckin spaceship. Marvellous. Even managed to miss the Sawdoctors.

Same old same old from Dublin. Tyrone didnt look to be arsed in first half. Different kettle of fish in second. Cavanaugh immense.

ziggysego

Poor first half from Tyrone. I was sitting in the local and the consenus seemed to be, Tyrone can pull the game back, but they won't win it.

The second half was amazing. Sean was my MoM and Setanta's. Mulligan came out of Canavan's shadow, but still has more to do. Ricey was brilliant in defense, but his temper still got the better of him.

Well done to Tyrone.
Testing Accessibility

paddypastit

Lads - I don't know what it looked like on telly / online but sitting in the Cusack, this was NOT a good game.  Exciting finale yes and in fairness some good scores - from Dublin in the first half, from Tyrone in the second - but an awful lot of bad play, bunching and general messing.

The first half was particulary poor and the 'end of season testimonial' crowd didn't help - has there ever been a half at Croke Park with as little atmosphere as that first half??

In fairness the point made early about Tyrone looking like they'd not played together before best sums them up.  In the second half at least some individual performances pulled them up but their lack of teamwork was surprising. They were hosed at MF in the first half but the introduction of Hughes turned the game.  Leave McCullogh where he is - if he is on the first 15 come the summer, Tyrone won't be good enough to win anything. Mulgrew and Colm Cavanagh on the other hand showed huge amounts of football the prospect of those two improving and combining with some of the seasoned absentees is exciting.  Very little combination tonight though.  McGinley worked hard and while Mulligan was in and out, he landed the arguably the score of the gamne to equalise. The Tyrone Half backs I though struggled, particularly Carlin on Brogan.  Their FBs though had the measure of theri men all through. Sean Cavanagh was probably their best on the night but he tried to do too much himself and, sorry to bring it up this early in the season but..., let's just say he just goes to ground too easily.

Dublin were great while they were winning but died as soon as the opposition revved it up. They won't win anything with the players that were on the pitch this evening. Connolly started brightly but was long gone by the end. Brennan looked the pick of the new boys. Not sure what the point of playing 7 backs and 5 forwards was.   Moran is not a CHB. Both MF replaced by 50 mins? Apart from Brogan, very ordinary forwards. Shane Ryan looked 2 stone overweight.  Not terribly encouraging for the Dubs.

Thought McEnaney was very inconsistent.  Very self important as always. Missed plenty but made a big fuss of spotting fouls ahead of the ball, fell for dives, booked lads for petty offences but not for being slung around or, at one stage, a shoulder in the back. 

A few other things about the 'occasion' - I missed the Sawdoctors but lose the Gospel singers for the anthem - the tenors / sopranos are bad enough. And how cringy was the half time 'league of nations' schoolkids display. Who ever thought up that condescending stunt should be ashamed.  Thought it was poetic justice that many of the kids 'chosen' never even tried to pick up the ball.

All in all, strip away the hype and fuss, this was a poor league game - everything else was just part of the sideshow.  Once the novelty effect wears off, not likely that you'd get great crowds to watch the like of it on a regualr basis

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

thebuzz

F.A.O. paddypastit

You can't expect the first game in the league on 03rd February to be as good as a championship game at the height of the summer. If you saw the shite that was played in the McKenna Cup by my own county you would think this was a good enough game. I never expected the game to be anything more than an early league game but I still enjoyed it. The hype was all because of the floodlights and because of the Battle of Omagh last year. I'm a Derry man living in Tyrone and had a damned good evening's banter and craic watching in a local pub.

banagusdearg

BTW when he did fall over, how many times did he roll?

Still being the proverbial tosspot TYP? :)

holylandsniper

Proved my earlier thoughs today, why mc menamin was picked as captain, surely in that role he is a role model for players and childrena dn a inspirational leader.. Cant see him being any
Overall decent enough game