12 Week Ban For Geezer

Started by Taylor, April 25, 2017, 10:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Why did McGeeney not appeal his ban?

Throw ball

Quote from: Itchy on May 18, 2017, 11:46:16 PM

If he didn't appeal it could be for a number of reasons. The first is that he said something and thought it best to accept the punishment. A second reason would be that he could not remember what he said and so thought it best to accept the punishment. Thirdly there is the possibility that he has no proof  that he did not say what was suggested and as he could not prove his innocence there was no point in appealing. We have to remember that when it is included in the referees report guilt is assumed and you have to prove your innocence - or utilitize a loop hole in the rules!

Applesisapples

Fair play to him for taking it on the chin, a pity Antrim Footballers couldn't do the same.

maddog

Would it be better if he did ?

Jinxy

It's a wonder Brolly didn't offer his services.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

I thought he accepted it for the good of the team
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

In my humble opinion if Geezer had said nothing then it would have been incumbent on the county board to make a statement to that effect, even if they were not appealing it. Something along the lines if Kieran maintains that he did nothing outside the rules of the game however for the benefit of the teams preparations and to avoid the obvious unnecessary media distraction then we will not be appealing the decision. Then keep shut till the game with no media interviews apart from local press me build up the omertà that would be akin to the way he operates and build the perfect siege mentality storm....them and us...southern bias etc etc. Would have world a dream. The silence from the Armagh camp would suggest to me that there is more than a grain of truth in what was said. 

Fuzzman

In that match between Armagh and Dublin where Davy Byrne got injured, was there an official referee there or why could the GAA not get the referees report on the incident?

Itchy

He is a great man. He is innocent but never breathed a word in defense of himself. Maybe it is more likely that he is guilty as charged.

Throw ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 19, 2017, 11:00:20 AM
In that match between Armagh and Dublin where Davy Byrne got injured, was there an official referee there or why could the GAA not get the referees report on the incident?

Think Fergal Kelly was referee. Not 100%

ck

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2017, 09:47:47 PM
Quote from: ck on May 18, 2017, 07:12:27 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 18, 2017, 05:51:03 PM
Quote from: ck on May 18, 2017, 02:52:40 PM
Discipline in our games starts with respect of officials. Some of the tripe on this thread alone against match officials would suggest the average GAA supporter is an ignorant caveman with no manners. McGeeney threatening to cut the hands off an official underlines our problem. Some people think this is just fun and part of the game, I just think it's precisely the problem and a 12 week ban to McGeeney is the correct response to his thuggery.

Good grief.  ::)

The incident I referred to, and which you quoted, included the referee being hit on the back with a football thrown at him by an Antrim player. Having looked through this thread it appears that I was mistaken in my belief that the player in question was not punished. AFS indicated in an earlier post that the player actually received a one match ban and it was not Fitzpatrick.

We thus have a disciplinary process whereby a referee was assaulted and the player who committed the assault received a one match ban whilst Fitzpatrick stands accused of committing an offence on the field that warranted a ban but will not now serve one.

Both those issues, I feel, serve to underline the point I'm making that the disciplinary procedures are not fit for purpose.

Given that you feel the process needs to start with respect for the referees, would you care to comment on the fact that a player who threw a ball at the ref received a one match ban, or would like to respond by taking another opportunity to have a bitter rant at McGeeney?

In light of your contributions to this thread to date, there is genuinely nothing that will surprise me in your response.

No idea how I seem to have offended you here, I was actually agreeing with you! And given the name of the thread is about McGeeneys suspension and the match you were referring to was the same match, I'd hardly call my contribution a "bitter rant"!
I never hide the fact that I dislike what McGeeney stands for but his alleged ill discipline in this case really annoys me. In fairness to the man though, he took his suspension and made nothing of it, unlike the Antrim player who has sidestepped a suspension.

As you 'missed' my reply to one of your previous comments I will give it again. What were the salary demand McGeeney was making. Also what were his comments towards the official? And don't quote me what some other poster speculated previously

Sorry must have missed your reply.
1. Its a well known fact that McGeeney went on a fundraising tour of key business men after being appointed in Armagh and he was on a percentage.
2. He threatened the linesman with personal damage along the lines of cutting his throat.

mrdeeds

This thread must be open 12 weeks.

Erwin Rommel

Quote from: Itchy on May 19, 2017, 12:29:30 PM
He is a great man. He is innocent but never breathed a word in defense of himself. Maybe it is more likely that he is guilty as charged.

Why are you still here? You mentioned a while back about people defending McGHeeney was no skin of your nose which come across that you didn't care but your still here. Have you some sort of personality disorder we don't know about?

Itchy

Quote from: Erwin Rommel on May 20, 2017, 12:34:51 AM
Quote from: Itchy on May 19, 2017, 12:29:30 PM

Why are you still here? You mentioned a while back about people defending McGHeeney was no skin of your nose which come across that you didn't care but your still here. Have you some sort of personality disorder we don't know about?

Why are you still here asks man who is still here.

tonto1888

Quote from: ck on May 19, 2017, 11:11:38 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 18, 2017, 09:47:47 PM
Quote from: ck on May 18, 2017, 07:12:27 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 18, 2017, 05:51:03 PM
Quote from: ck on May 18, 2017, 02:52:40 PM
Discipline in our games starts with respect of officials. Some of the tripe on this thread alone against match officials would suggest the average GAA supporter is an ignorant caveman with no manners. McGeeney threatening to cut the hands off an official underlines our problem. Some people think this is just fun and part of the game, I just think it's precisely the problem and a 12 week ban to McGeeney is the correct response to his thuggery.

Good grief.  ::)

The incident I referred to, and which you quoted, included the referee being hit on the back with a football thrown at him by an Antrim player. Having looked through this thread it appears that I was mistaken in my belief that the player in question was not punished. AFS indicated in an earlier post that the player actually received a one match ban and it was not Fitzpatrick.

We thus have a disciplinary process whereby a referee was assaulted and the player who committed the assault received a one match ban whilst Fitzpatrick stands accused of committing an offence on the field that warranted a ban but will not now serve one.

Both those issues, I feel, serve to underline the point I'm making that the disciplinary procedures are not fit for purpose.

Given that you feel the process needs to start with respect for the referees, would you care to comment on the fact that a player who threw a ball at the ref received a one match ban, or would like to respond by taking another opportunity to have a bitter rant at McGeeney?

In light of your contributions to this thread to date, there is genuinely nothing that will surprise me in your response.

No idea how I seem to have offended you here, I was actually agreeing with you! And given the name of the thread is about McGeeneys suspension and the match you were referring to was the same match, I'd hardly call my contribution a "bitter rant"!
I never hide the fact that I dislike what McGeeney stands for but his alleged ill discipline in this case really annoys me. In fairness to the man though, he took his suspension and made nothing of it, unlike the Antrim player who has sidestepped a suspension.

As you 'missed' my reply to one of your previous comments I will give it again. What were the salary demand McGeeney was making. Also what were his comments towards the official? And don't quote me what some other poster speculated previously

Sorry must have missed your reply.
1. Its a well known fact that McGeeney went on a fundraising tour of key business men after being appointed in Armagh and he was on a percentage.
2. He threatened the linesman with personal damage along the lines of cutting his throat.

Is it a well known fact? How much was raised. How do you k ow he was on a percentage?
How do you know that's what he done?