Pre season training regimes

Started by 5 Sams, December 14, 2006, 12:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Never did it but I hope to start very soon, I've heard it is great and I think it will be worth the bit of slagging, anyway as a single man it might have additional benefits!!

mattockranger

tu che!!

where would you look about doing them?
heard a couple of armagh noys were into it...
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

gaahead2008

tu che

the latest cult - will catch on next season with the rest - check out local sports centre!
highly recommended

theskull1

would have thought that running straight 10K distances would be woeful for a box to box player who would need to run at 3/4 pace for most of the time and then recover before doing the same thing over and over. Surely interval running would be better
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Zulu

Well training for anyone has to take into account the specifics of the individual but even an amateur should be able to train 11 months of the year. If his program is good and he listens to his body then he should be fine, it is impossible for an IC coach to oversee various training programs so they generally do just one for everybody. However I always say to my players to tell me if they are feeling a bit run down and they can take a night or a week off if they need it. But it is up to the players to tell me as I can't monitor them all to that degree. It is hard to say what is the best program to employ, I know of teams that have been relatively successful without training at all and others that trained ferociously for 9 months. The problem I find with coaching GAA players is that you don't know what they have done outside of your sessions so sometimes you are doing more harm than good but you never know it.

Quotewould have thought that running straight 10K distances would be woeful for a box to box player who would need to run at 3/4 pace for most of the time and then recover before doing the same thing over and over. Surely interval running would be better

You need to do both IMO, I never do long distance runs in any session but if I might this season (in the first 4-6 weeks) then I'll do the long interval type runs you talk about Skull. In season it would be all shorter stuff and small sided games, in fact all my sessions are based around small sided games (even early in the year) and there is recent evidence to suggest this is as good as interval training for improving anaerobic capacity.

theskull1

Yeah.....the variance in the natural fitness levels, strength, alcohol consumption of players makes it difficult at this time of year. Specific training for some boys should really be done but there is never enough people to split sessions to suit different groups. I do think that circuit training is a good way to get core strength into a team in the first 5/6 weeks.

RedandGreenSniper

I think long, stamina runs in your own time at this time of year are ideal. Lads really shouldn't be returning to pre-season training if they can't do 10km runs with a fair level of ease. Stamina runs can and should continue for the first six weeks of training but gradually tapering towards explosive type action. The biggest problem though is not knowing when to peak for. Teams can be in flying form for the start of the league and building up nicely towards championship. They might then play the first round in May but it could be August before they are out again. That's a major problem for most club teams and it is here that teams might look tired, in my opinion
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

neilthemac

QuoteThe whole core strength and gyms at the start of the season always has me asking, if it isn't maintained during the season is it worth doing at the start of the season. Especially the core work outs.

well, its up to managers to have proper time built into schedules to allow these AMATEUR players to do one or two weights sessions a week to maintain muscle strength and power. And also recovery days where they do no training

the recovery time between training sessions is more important, along with sensible progressions.

theskull1

Well we all know that is too much for amatuers Zulu. Weights do not "have to" be done 12 month a year either speaking from experience. Amatuers can only do so much as you say and 2/3 nights traing and a match will get most boys in decent enough shape if they look after themselves. Of course you get the odd fellow who has time and a less than strenuous job to allow him to train better but they are far from the norm in the GAA and we should not expect the mass player population to be able to train at that level.

goldenyears

5Sams jesus you're putting me in bad form just thinking about another pre season! I would have run with anyone back in a bygone age but times have changed greatly!

I am a big supporter of all training being done on the field with footballs involved, I have no doubt that all that's needed can be done in this way.

I would suggest that in your early 30s the key thought is to avoid pre season as much as possible!

BallyhaiseMan

ah no,Its nothat time of the year again is it lads  :-[  :'(

i wonder what Micky Graham will have us doing in a week or two.

right  the first one to Bench 100KG gets a prize.

Zulu

QuoteWeights do not "have to" be done 12 month a year either speaking from experience

I'm afraid they do, if you do weights for (lets say) 6 months and then stop you will lose much of what you gained within 2 to 3 months. Will it mean you can't play well? No, not necessarily but unless your weight training program is continued over the season there is hardly any point in starting one at all.

BallyhaiseMan

Zulu,
would you recommend, a few long runs (8-10K) before Training starts in a few weeks?
already gyming it 2 or 3 times a week anyway.

Zulu

Well it depends BM are you in decent shape at the moment? If you aren't that distance is probably a bit far, however I'd recommend a bit of beach running or soft ground running, if you don't have a beach, at this time of year. Just run reasonable distances and work up to no more than 10km, i.e. ease your way up rather than pushing yourself to much too soon and stay off the road if you can. Are you on the squad this year?

BallyhaiseMan

which squad? :P County? nope not at this minute anyway. Who knows what the year might bring though.
Fitness is good.