Pre season training regimes

Started by 5 Sams, December 14, 2006, 12:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

I mind reading about Padai O Se running from Ard a' Bhothair over An Clasach and round by Slea Head back home. Pete McGrath had our boys doing "The Big Stone", Boylan had the Meath lads doing the sand dunes, Val Kane used to torture us in "The Park".....has the sadism died out of pre season training.....it used to be that if you didnt puke it wasnt doing you any good...any thoughts??
The Aristocrat Years

dodo

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 14, 2006, 12:27:06 AM
I mind reading about Padai O Se running from Ard a' Bhothair over An Clasach and round by Slea Head back home. Pete McGrath had our boys doing "The Big Stone", Boylan had the Meath lads doing the sand dunes, Val Kane used to torture us in "The Park".....has the sadism died out of pre season training.....it used to be that if you didnt puke it wasnt doing you any good...any thoughts??

Is this what they mean by puke football ?

BenDover

we used to go to Killbroney Park and everyone puked! one in all in

el_cuervo_fc

Kilbroney was a good oul session.  a nice wee change of scenery.  better than doin stinkin laps

el_cuervo_fc

Dear god that was a goodun Ballwasthere!!  A real classic!! Can hardly breathe from laughing

BenDover

Guess whos on top form the day lads! Keep em coming ballwasthere   :-\

lynchbhoy

I hope that most teams by now realise that there is no need for that ridiculous run run run rubbish any more.

A few bits of physical training OK, but if you have overweight lads on the squad, then they should be sorted out as a smaller group and the entire team train on the skills, techniques and so on for the coming season.

This seems to be what GAA coaches are telling younger players now
and I can only hope that this goes for adult sides, though some will feel a GAA version of Catholic guilt if they are not killing themselves with laps and hill/beach/bog/water based running.

The Cavan squad when they got rid of Liam Austin in the late 90's a prime example.
Liam got the road as the squad were not happy with the amount of puke inducing training being metted out.

AbbeySider

in 1992 the Mayo team were made push cars around car parks as part of their training.
We were the laughing stock of the nation at the time!

umgolaarmagh

When in Boston the manager made us go up banks on or hands with team mate holding your feet (wheelbarrow)

Wasnt long after the shoulder op so i had a good excused to miss out,

el_cuervo_fc

should this not be a Harps thread?

Davitt Man

Has anyone done pilates before the football season starts??

How did you find it? Did it benefit you?

bridgegael

kilbroney, castlewellan lake, and morloch beach,  all puke inducing training sessions!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DownFanatic

We used to do a lot of pre-season in and around Murlough and some of the more inhospitable parts of Dundrum Bay. There is one sand dune just in off the beach at Murlough which is virtually vertical. One run up it and you will experience the worst feeling you will have ever felt in your life. No joke.