Down V Armagh - Newry 26th Feb

Started by 5 Sams, February 21, 2011, 10:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Hope the Armagh management don't decide to launch high balls in on top of Swift again as I'd imagine that would be right up Dan Gordon's street. I'd isay that the Down defence will surround Stevie like they did last year (a tactic that was helped enormously by the fact that we went down to 14). It's up to us to figure a way round this.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Orangemac on February 21, 2011, 10:19:07 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 21, 2011, 02:22:47 PM
For me Grugan has to start, a lot of people not convinced by him but IMO he was the only HF yesterday constantly making runs; 5-10 mins to go and he was still out in front and was acting as a good link man from HBs and MF which was what we were crying out for.

CV is too good in terms of workrate, drive etc to leave out of the team so if Lavery is fit, start him MF and have CV in HF line and drop BJP as the game will be played at a much higher tempo - Brian Mallon had a good night last time v Down in the McK cup and should start ahead of him.

Would agree Grugan has to start with 1 eye on Ulster championship QF. Games like this will bring him on. He has scores in him and for too long our HF line has not provided enough.

Mallon should start also but in the corner and stay there. Swift was isolated too much yesterday. If Stevie comes out for the ball, better to have 2 men inside.

Is King back for Down? Fitzpatrick seems to have done well but with both Rodgers and King missing would Down be short of physicality in the middle?

Do a bit of googling there - or read other threads - King has played both league games to date for down

snoopdog

Quote from: mackers on February 22, 2011, 10:47:43 AM
Hope the Armagh management don't decide to launch high balls in on top of Swift again as I'd imagine that would be right up Dan Gordon's street. I'd isay that the Down defence will surround Stevie like they did last year (a tactic that was helped enormously by the fact that we went down to 14). It's up to us to figure a way round this.

Couldnt hold him in the League Final, he murdered Down that day.

mackers

Quote from: snoopdog on February 22, 2011, 11:35:53 AM
Quote from: mackers on February 22, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Couldnt hold him in the League Final, he murdered Down that day.

True..........as I said going down to 14 men in Pairc Esler made it that bit easier for Down. We just couldn't handle going down to 14, the exact same happened in Casement Park in the championship. Hopefully we have practised a bit for that scenerio since. I see Pat McEneaney is reffing it on Saturday so the standard of refereeing SHOULD be better than our old friend Sludden served up on those occasions..............
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

PAULD123

Grugan was superb against us in the McKenna cup. Very mobile and accurate, can't believe people are even suggesting he should not play. As for Stevie, well he is a class act and any team would struggle against him. But our defence is hard working and will allow very little space. I think the strong points on both sides are their forwards - Coulter, Clarke, Hughes, McComiskey, McDonnell, Grugan, Vernon, Swift. All these players are top quality. There may be a load of chest beating and boasting on this forum over the rest of the week but the fact is that these two sides are of a very close standard and the game will not be easy for either one.

whitegoodman

I personally think that if u hold stevie ( thats a mighty big if ) then u beat armagh.  That may change in may when there is a couple of clarkes back but if down double mark him and leave the likes of BJP or mackin to shoot all day they will have more than enough to win.

Armagh ones may say the same about benny but i think there is more threat there from hughes, clarke, mccumisky and even murtagh.  Benny has been contributing this year but we dont rely on him for scores as much as we once did.

Throw ball

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 22, 2011, 01:32:46 PM
I personally think that if u hold stevie ( thats a mighty big if ) then u beat armagh.  That may change in may when there is a couple of clarkes back but if down double mark him and leave the likes of BJP or mackin to shoot all day they will have more than enough to win.

Armagh ones may say the same about benny but i think there is more threat there from hughes, clarke, mccumisky and even murtagh.  Benny has been contributing this year but we dont rely on him for scores as much as we once did.

If Down do manage to hold Stevie Armagh will learn alot about Grugan, Swift, Vernon etc. which may help down the line.

5 Sams

The stand in Newry is all ticket for this game lads so you'd need to get on to your club if you don't want to be standing out in the cold.
The Aristocrat Years

our_fella

Anyone know of any bars in Edinburgh that might show the match?

PAULD123

WhiteGoodman, Just as well we're not relying on Benny's scores cos he hasn't got a single point so far in the league. But we certainly are relying on his skill, he has set up half our points with his catching and running. Stevie, I don't think, offers that to Armagh. So hopefully if our defence just moves fast it will be able to close down the Armagh attack and force shooting from the half forward line. Like the Armagh man says they will then learn a lot about Vernon and Grugan.

Our_fella - If it is on anywhere it will be Biddy Mulligans in the Grassmarket. I guarantee you will see Gaelic there just don't know which match they'll have on.

SHEEDY

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 22, 2011, 03:20:32 PM
The stand in Newry is all ticket for this game lads so you'd need to get on to your club if you don't want to be standing out in the cold.
do season tickets enable you to get into the stand for this match?
nil satis nisi optimum

5 Sams

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 22, 2011, 05:43:54 PM

If you are a season ticket holder I think you will get an e mail with a link to a site where you can print your ticket off. Season ticket alone won't get you in....you'll need the print off as well as the season ticket.
The Aristocrat Years

Leo

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 22, 2011, 05:43:54 PM

The stand is now extended and there is another new stand in fron t of the fitness centre so should be more seats. I'm told by my club it is £11 for the terrace. How much for the stand and how many will the clubs get?
Fierce tame altogether

macdanger2

How's BJP doing since he moved up to ye??

fitzroyalty

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 22, 2011, 05:22:28 PM
WhiteGoodman, Just as well we're not relying on Benny's scores cos he hasn't got a single point so far in the league. But we certainly are relying on his skill, he has set up half our points with his catching and running. Stevie, I don't think, offers that to Armagh. So hopefully if our defence just moves fast it will be able to close down the Armagh attack and force shooting from the half forward line. Like the Armagh man says they will then learn a lot about Vernon and Grugan.

Our_fella - If it is on anywhere it will be Biddy Mulligans in the Grassmarket. I guarantee you will see Gaelic there just don't know which match they'll have on.
If Down are going to attempt to close down the Armagh attack it will have been too late. Some of McDonnell's point taking has been exquisite. Against Monaghan a ball got played out wide at a narrow angle, no sooner had I cursed the f**kers for playing the wrong ball McDonnell had stuck it between the posts. Grugan IMO has been the main link man, constantly shows for the ball coming out of defence and can play the accurate passes inside. If Down stop him they will starve much of the good ball going in, as our distribution coming from the the half back line and defence in general has been poor of late.

I'm hoping for a high scoring game, both defences are not at their strongest so hopefully we see plenty of scores.

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 22, 2011, 07:53:05 PM
How's BJP doing since he moved up to ye??
I think he's done rightly, some people aren't convinced but I think he's a good option to have. Hasn't really put a foot wrong though hasn't set the world on fire either.