John Egan in a coma...

Started by 5 Sams, March 04, 2010, 05:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

From The Kerryman

John Egan remains in a serious condition at Cork University Hospital following a fall at his Bishopstown home late last week.

The six-time All-Ireland winner, originally from Tahilla near Sneem, remained in a coma on Tuesday, five days after he suffered serious injuries after falling down the stairs at his Cork city home.

The 58-year-old suffered a number of broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder during the accident but The Kerryman understands that his condition is not thought to be life threatening.

Having made his county senior debut against Tipperary in the 1975 All Ireland championship, Egan captain his county in 1982. He completed his tally of six All-Ireland winning medals as a member of the Kerry team which won the centenary championship of 1984.

Egan's outstanding individual footballing talents were recognised with the awarding of five GAA All Stars Awards in 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980 and 1982.

Get well soon to John
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Jaysus, sorry to hear that. Hope he makes a quick and full recovery. One of the best corner forwards ever.

Jimmy14

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 04, 2010, 05:48:27 PM
Jaysus, sorry to hear that. Hope he makes a quick and full recovery. One of the best corner forwards ever.
+1

red hander

Sorry to hear that ... a footballing hero of mine from childhood

BennyHarp

I'm gutted to hear this - i got the Kerry Golden years video when i was a kid and must have watched it about 150 times - John Egan was by far my favourite player on that team. I used to practice his style of soloing running where he sort of chipped the ball infront of himself and run onto it so barely losing speed and constantly protecting the ball! (I know what i mean here - even if i havent explained it very well!) I hope he gets well soon - best wishes!!
That was never a square ball!!

5 Sams

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 04, 2010, 06:05:42 PM
I'm gutted to hear this - i got the Kerry Golden years video when i was a kid and must have watched it about 150 times - John Egan was by far my favourite player on that team. I used to practice his style of soloing running where he sort of chipped the ball infront of himself and run onto it so he barely losing speed and constantly protecting the ball! (I know what i mean here - even if i havent explained it very well!) I hope he gets well soon - best wishes!!

Funny I know exactly what you mean here....that's my memory of him when he was playing....one episode in particular was when he was involved in Jacko's great goal against Offaly in the AIF of 81 I think. He had a give and go with the Bomber up the line leading up to the pass to Jacko for the goal into the hill...epitomised the movement of the man...strong as a bull and a goal machine himself....fcukit you'd think he was gone the way we were talking....get well soon John.

EDIT

Here we go :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9-lOmcIC_E

Great football...
The Aristocrat Years

magickingdom

i'm shocked reading that, i hope and pray he makes a full recovery. as hard as nails that man

Donnellys Hollow

Get well soon John.

Brilliant forward for those great teams. Built like a tank and had all the skills.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Denn Forever

It was him that chipped Paddy Cullen?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lawnseed

dont think it was john egan who chipped cullen could be wrong. hes some man he'll pull out of it i hope. i too have kerrys golden years hes the star of that compilation
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

midLouth

5 Sams

Quote from: hardstation on March 04, 2010, 09:58:43 PM
It was Mike Sheehy and I'm bored of that goal. Never off TG4 ffs.

All the best John Egan.

Twas the boul Mikey alright....and just for you Hardstation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juYmKSYQiy0
The Aristocrat Years

heffo

Hope he makes a full recovery - lovely fella by all accounts.

Billys Boots

Yep, one of the best ever.  Hope he makes a full recovery quickly.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

southsidejohnny

A humble man, walked away when his time was up. No tantrums or managers making a case for him. The stuff of legend. Was truely blessed to see such a player and such a team. Get well soon.