Big Joe in line for the Galway job

Started by tyronefan, August 27, 2009, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on August 27, 2009, 12:34:38 PM
Joe should hold on. There might be a vacancy in Tyrone any day now and Joe has experience of leading teams to consecutive All Ireland Finals, a feat that proved beyond Harte ;D

We'll hold on to Mickey, thanks Tony. Three Sams isn't enough for us, hope you're content with your one ;)
Testing Accessibility

Final Whistle

Joe should hold on. There might be a vacancy in Tyrone any day now and Joe has experience of leading teams to consecutive All Ireland Finals, a feat that proved beyond Harte ;D

No Fearon you hold on to him, made too many blunders while in charge of the orchard county. Who can forget the 05 semi when he took off the geezer just cos Cavanagh was showing him the heels. Or when a flu riffen, half fit Tyrone team took the Orangemen on a tour of Croke Park in 03 final. Kernan should have had 3 inter county successes. This would have made him a great manager, unfortunatly, the Armagh players were not GOOD enough.

And anyway, your only trying to put him off cos you want all the perks of managing a Galway team...

haveaharp

Quote from: Final Whistle on August 27, 2009, 12:46:22 PM

No Fearon you hold on to him, made too many blunders while in charge of the orchard county. Who can forget the 05 semi when he took off the geezer just cos Cavanagh was showing him the heels. Or when a flu riffen, half fit Tyrone team took the Orangemen on a tour of Croke Park in 03 final. Kernan should have had 3 inter county successes. This would have made him a great manager, unfortunatly, the Armagh players were not GOOD enough.

And anyway, your only trying to put him off cos you want all the perks of managing a Galway team...

Too much peroxide in 86
Monocelled team in 95
Sick to the stomach in 02
Flu ridden in 03
In detox in 04
"flying" in 05
In detox in 06
ditto 07
Atkins diet leading to facial hair explosion in 08
Stomach bugs (bless) in 09

Jesus what for 2010 ?

tyronefan

imagine what we would have won if we had of been fit   :D

Final Whistle

Quote from: haveaharp on August 27, 2009, 12:59:11 PM
Quote from: Final Whistle on August 27, 2009, 12:46:22 PM

Too much peroxide in 86
Monocelled team in 95
Sick to the stomach in 02
Flu ridden in 03
In detox in 04
"flying" in 05
In detox in 06
ditto 07
Atkins diet leading to facial hair explosion in 08
Stomach bugs (bless) in 09

Jesus what for 2010 ?

Armagh 2010-will the team still be in transition? Or will the Kernans leak the team to the opposition again? Maybe its time to bring back Houli???

ziggysego

Quote from: tyronefan on August 27, 2009, 01:09:05 PM
imagine what we would have won if we had of been fit   :D

They eating the same lasagnas as your beloved Spurs?
Testing Accessibility

tyronefan

you have the wrong man Ziggy, I am no fan of Spurs

ziggysego

Quote from: tyronefan on August 27, 2009, 01:19:35 PM
you have the wrong man Ziggy, I am no fan of Spurs

Oops. When I see Tony posting about Tyrone, a red mist desends..  :D
Testing Accessibility

tyronefan

haveaharp

[/quote]

Armagh 2010-will the team still be in transition? Or will the Kernans leak the team to the opposition again? Maybe its time to bring back Houli???
[/quote]

Will the team still be in transition - no doubt yes. One must be realistic, Armagh have to get a plan A to start with and not the plan A B C D E and F that one Tyroneman told me Mickey Harte had to combat Cork. :D

Final Whistle

Yawn!!! another Fearon wanabe with a "we are not as good as Tyrone, so lets Run them down whenever we get the slighest oppertunity" mindset.

Id say Kernan could do well in Galway, at least they wouldnt shit the load a la Armagh.

haveaharp

Quote from: Final Whistle on August 27, 2009, 02:39:12 PM
Yawn!!! another Fearon wanabe with a "we are not as good as Tyrone, so lets Run them down whenever we get the slighest oppertunity" mindset.

Id say Kernan could do well in Galway, at least they wouldnt shit the load a la Armagh.

Not at all - noone would run down Tyrone if ye didnt build yourselves up to be slapped down and i for one was there supporting you last year. However the arrogance on some of these threads before the Cork game was astounding and disappointing for an Ulster side, id expect it of Kerry.

A few examples

From this thread alone ;D

Carmen Stateside
"Gormley eats two Pearse O Neills every morning for breakfast! and anyhow fancy Ricey for that job, Gormley will have better players to deal with!" :o

A sarcy RRHF
"No this Cork  team are too good to fall flat again.  I went striaght into the bookies this morning and put my hard earned money on them to win Sam.  Our only hope is to batten down the hatches and play like we did V kerry in 2003."

Talktothehand
"harte will have plenty of time to get to grips with cork because like all tyrone people this is the game we've been expecting all year!"

Kickingmule
every game is different  ... yeah cork are a big side, ...massive midfield, strong runniing half backs, tall fast forward division, whats new then?

i believed after last sundays draw was made ... kildare was a serious outfit ..... @ that stage i would have taken cork if available, kildare have been taken care off, job done no panic, ...one game @ a time.

now we have cork ... i'm happy ... a totally new ball game for them, tyrone will ajust their gameplan accordlly and win this game!!!

can cork? ....i don't believe they can ..... tyrone to win ...with enough to spare

Kicking mule Again
totally agree .... as all-ireland champions why the hell  should we hold any fear of the rebels,
to be honest, kildare were the one team who concerned me .... and that hurdle has been cleared

Tyrone redhand
Enough of this negativity. We are the AI champions, we beat Kerry 3 times and we will beat them again if they make it past Meath ......why should we fear Cork ?

I think Tyrone will win this one with a bit to spare. We just have too much class with guys like Sean Cavanagh, Brian Dooher, Stevie and Mugsy. Also, I'd hope McCullagh starts this one. I think this is a game suited to him as he will get more space. Cork havent really beaten anyone except a poor Kerry side who IMO are a beaten docket. Dont be fooled by that Dublin result. I fancy Meath to beat them then it'll be revenge for '96 !!

what are u talking about. We are still a young team and will be winning AI for the next few years. I think we will beat Kerry if we meet them as I feel  they are over the hill at this stage but I dont see u lot beating them. and keep thing you will beat us by 5 or 6 pints, we luv that kinda talk...you will get a big surprise when we hammer you on our way to 2 in a row !

popinpoput
Have to say I have that warm feeling that I last experienced before the Dubs game last year.....fully expecting a comfortable victory...6+ points

Keyser Soze
I think this Cork team has been overhyped, they are still essentially the same players that have folded in major Croke Park occasions over the past few years, i don't think it will be any different this time tbh unless they get a blinding start and put Tyrone on the back foot. Other then that they will have to hope that Tyrone take the foot off the gas at some stage - as they have tended to do on occasion this year.

A comfortable win for Tyrone.

Fear on Strath Ban
Let's see Miskella and O'Leary launch their surging runs with Dooher and Mc Mahon
hanging off them.

Mickeys Beard
Tyrone by six.  Mulligan two goals.
:-X

Fear Boirche

Quote from: ziggysego on August 27, 2009, 11:37:13 AM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on August 27, 2009, 09:55:05 AM
I hear that big Joe is in the running for the Armagh Job?

Didn't he rule himself out a few weeks ago?

Looks like it:

QuoteKernan rules out return to Orchard post
Gaelic Games
By Staff Reporter
23/07/09

JOE Kernan has ruled out any possibility of

returning to the Armagh management post left

vacant by Peter McDonnell.

The former All-Ireland winning manager has cited business commitments and the potential antagonism caused by having four sons on the panel as the key reasons why he will not consider going for the job.

Kernan and two business partners have recently started a new 'Sportstats' company. They have bought the franchise rights to a Global Positioning System (GPS) that monitors players in training.

Kernan's sons are now running his estate agency company while he focuses on selling the GPS kit to a range of teams from Gaelic football, hurling, rugby and soccer.

"I've started this new business and in the climate we are in at the moment, and after 30 years of looking after everybody else, I think I have to look after myself," said Kernan.

The Crossmaglen man went on: "I was very lucky to work with my club and my county. I do believe that with all the young boys who are there, we have a good future. But at this minute in time I would have to say: 'No'.

"I'm going to look after my business. We've got a lot of very big contracts and I think it's time for me to look after myself."

Kernan, who led Crossmaglen to three All-Ireland club titles, admitted that the potential for controversy due to the involvement of four of his sons in the squad was another reason why he would not allow his name to be put forward.

He said: "While there are great people out there, there are still a few bigots who just can't accept that Joe Kernan could manage a team with four of his sons on it.

"That is very sad. A few things have been said about it already. I had my own problems with it when I was there near the end.

"Some of the things which were done were very unfair. It's just sad that some people would spoil something that should be very good.

"But I would prefer to have happiness in my own house with my own family. My family means more to me than anything."

Following the news that Kernan has ruled himself out, speculation will now centre on whether Kieran McGeeney and Paul McGrimley will throw their hats in the ring.

McGeeney and his assistant manager Paul Grimley have won widespread praise for the job they have done with the Kildare footballers.

It will not have escaped the attention of Armagh fans that the Lilywhites racked up tallies of

1-16 (v Offaly), 2-12 (v Wexford), 2-18 (v Laois) and 0-18 v (Dublin) in the Leinster Championship.

Kildare were once totally dependent on John Doyle, but under McGeeney they are scoring freely from a variety of positions. Armagh supporters can certainly relate to a side that can struggle to score due to an over-dependence on a couple of marksmen.

Kernan said he was confident that McGeeney would be a success with Armagh, but noted that there was no guarantee the former Orchard captain would leave the Lilywhites.

"He's doing a good job in Kildare. I don't know what sort of a deal he has with them and whether he would be willing to leave them. That is up to Kieran.

"He has settled in well and he is doing a good job with the players. His players would jump through hoops for him and I'm sure he is very happy up there."

However, Kernan insisted that a great opportunity exists for whoever replaces Peter McDonnell. He firmly believes that Armagh have the potential to lift another All-Ireland title.

"In my honest opinion I think we can win another All-Ireland within the next five years. The players are all young enough. From Ronan Clarke at 26 to Kieran Toner at 20, I honestly believe that we are good enough to go on.

"I don't think we are going backwards," he said.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 27, 2009, 12:03:26 PM
No shortage of hotels in Galway for consulting fees either.  ::)
do you not reckon he'd do it for the love of the game ?
sure he loves long drives !

Billys Boots

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 27, 2009, 03:33:22 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on August 27, 2009, 12:03:26 PM
No shortage of hotels in Galway for consulting fees either.  ::)
do you not reckon he'd do it for the love of the game ?
sure he loves long drives !

As they might say in Ballinamore; 'No comment'.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...