Flight delay compensation

Started by Dougal Maguire, July 12, 2017, 12:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

I had to change our flight dates, gravely ill family member, Change of flights cost about 480 for the family. Ryanair said they would  credit us for the charges if we could substantiate claim. Then refused it, I kept at it, letter after letter. 5 or 6 letters got a refund for the 480. They made it difficult but it can be done.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 14, 2017, 05:10:14 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 14, 2017, 04:26:44 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 13, 2017, 12:05:56 PM
How lng were you delayed? Mine was 2 and a half hours and I'm told it would have to be 3. What company did you use?

I used AirHelp. They're taking a big chunk of commission (25%) but they seem clear that I'm due the €600 per person. Our flights took off on time but after 2 hours was turned around and went back to Dublin. The next morning we got a flight to Manchester and then onwards to our destination with a different airline. Was travelling with wife, 2 kids and my two parents. It was brutal to say the least. We were approximately 30 hours late arriving.
THAT is definitely worth compensating unlike these other cry babies  :'(.

I take it there were issues with the plane?

One of the engines went. We weren't told that officially (ground crew member in Dublin told us), We were told "mechanical issue" which was probably fair enough. We were actually closer to Canada at that stage than Dublin but they elected to turn around (probably would have been a nightmare for them to try and fix a plane in some unscheduled landing spot in Canada).

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2017, 02:23:59 PM
How lng were you delayed? Mine was 2 and a half hours and I'm told it would have to be 3. What company did you use?

I used AirHelp. They're taking a big chunk of commission (25%) but they seem clear that I'm due the €600 per person. Our flights took off on time but after 2 hours was turned around and went back to Dublin. The next morning we got a flight to Manchester and then onwards to our destination with a different airline. Was travelling with wife, 2 kids and my two parents. It was brutal to say the least. We were approximately 30 hours late arriving.

One of the engines went. We weren't told that officially (ground crew member in Dublin told us), We were told "mechanical issue" which was probably fair enough. We were actually closer to Canada at that stage than Dublin but they elected to turn around (probably would have been a nightmare for them to try and fix a plane in some unscheduled landing spot in Canada).
I'm not sure I'd have been able to get back on the replacement plane. I've improved over the past couple of years with regards to flying, mostly because the flights were smooth, but I think something like that would set me back years!  :-\

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 17, 2017, 02:53:21 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2017, 02:23:59 PM

I'm not sure I'd have been able to get back on the replacement plane. I've improved over the past couple of years with regards to flying, mostly because the flights were smooth, but I think something like that would set me back years!  :-\

We had to fly to Manchester the next morning but we got Virgin Atlantic to our destination then which was very nice. We very nearly didn't after a tangle with a wee w**ker of a security guard in Manchester. At the time our youngest was still taking formula milk. In Dublin they had a machine that could analyse the carton and approve it for bringing it on the plane. In Manchester this tool told us we couldn't bring it on the plane. Wasn't one bit nice about it including the words "it's not my fault if they don't do things correctly in Dublin...." My wife (normally the calmer one of the two of us - no surprises there) lost the plot and ate him. He got thick and got her taken aside and searched. So overall the additional comfort of Virgin Atlantic was much needed after that. When we arrived in Orlando I had to pick up the rental car, car seats for the kids at Walmart (including assembly.....head melted) and drive across Florida to St Pete Beach. Initial plan was to stay in Orlando for a night and then go at our leisure. Disaster. I nearly cried when we got to our hotel.

Thecolts11

Quote from: Zulu on July 13, 2017, 04:32:19 PM
My Ryanair flight was delayed by 4 hours recently and I applied for the compensation (€250), I got an email to say I'd get the money in my account within 10 working days. It'll be 10 working days tomorrow so I'll see if I get it. I do have an email saying they will refund me so I presume they won't drag the arse of it but I'll soon know!

Hi, was this paid out?  I am nearing the end of my 10-working days but still has not been refunded.  Thanks.

JoG2

Anyone have any joy getting Ryanair to stump up for the price of alternative flights booked with other carriers? They should have given this option when notifying people of their cancelled flights as there is no alternative Ryanair flight to my destination until March 2018. I've been trying in vain to submit claim forms for a few days now, have spoken to them via live chat a few times, have been sent alternative forms etc..nought works (probably by design)

Milltown Row2

You'd be quicker to join and complete your aviation qualications and fly to your own destination with Ryanair that get compensated
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 02, 2017, 12:54:37 PM
You'd be quicker to join and complete your aviation qualications and fly to your own destination with Ryanair that get compensated

I know, they've won as I'm too scunnered to fill out anymore forms !

magpie seanie

To update - I received my refund for the Orlando trip. We got back €600 x 6 less 25% commission = €2,700. It took just over 3 months. AirHelp's commission was hefty but I doubt I'd have had the patience to deal with Aer Lingus so probably money well spent.

Dougal Maguire

Flying home from New York last night. Flight overbooked. They were asking for volunteers to take an alternative flight to Shannon which left 1 hour later, business class seats, taxi from Shannon to Dublin and $650 each.  I took hand and all.
Careful now

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 05, 2017, 10:26:02 AM
Flying home from New York last night. Flight overbooked. They were asking for volunteers to take an alternative flight to Shannon which left 1 hour later, business class seats, taxi from Shannon to Dublin and $650 each.  I took hand and all.

Nice one Dougal.  Sounds like it was a case of "right place, right time"

Zulu

Quote from: Thecolts11 on August 24, 2017, 10:25:30 AM
Quote from: Zulu on July 13, 2017, 04:32:19 PM
My Ryanair flight was delayed by 4 hours recently and I applied for the compensation (€250), I got an email to say I'd get the money in my account within 10 working days. It'll be 10 working days tomorrow so I'll see if I get it. I do have an email saying they will refund me so I presume they won't drag the arse of it but I'll soon know!

Hi, was this paid out?  I am nearing the end of my 10-working days but still has not been refunded.  Thanks.

No, they dragged the arse out of it so I'm now using one of the online companies to follow up and get the money (hopefully).

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Smokin Joe on November 05, 2017, 04:13:04 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 05, 2017, 10:26:02 AM

Nice one Dougal.  Sounds like it was a case of "right place, right time"
You're not wrong there Joe. It's much easier to do when you don't have young kids anymore.
Careful now