Tyrone v Donegal - Sunday 18th June at 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, May 29, 2017, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 21, 2017, 03:09:21 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 21, 2017, 03:07:44 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2017, 02:58:23 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 21, 2017, 02:52:43 PM
Tyrone are still overrated in my opinion. Great win v Donegal but they won't play as well again, or be allowed to. They'll be found out later on.

How / where are Tyrone rated? I think most sensible analysis has them in a small chasing pack behind Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Do you think they should be rated lower than this? Below Kildare, Galway and Monaghan?

They were talked as the main rivals to Dublin for the AI last year before the c'ship. I actually think they believed that themselves and got caught out by Mayo. Now they're second favourite for Sam after one good performance? I said last year they'd be nowhere near Sam, and while they might get as far as an AI semi, they'll be nowhere near good enough again.

Pains me to say it but they look very good at the moment. I think they have a chance

They're 3rd favourite for Sam - the current odds are as follows

Dublin 13/8
Kerry 5/2
Tyrone 11/2
Mayo 12/1
Galway 14/1
Monaghan 25/1
Kildare 28/1
Donegal 33/1
Cork 33/1

It's worth remembering that the number of games to play can make a big difference Mayo and Donegal for example have to win at least 6 games to win Sam, whereas if Kerry beat Cork/Tyrone beat Monaghan in their provincial finals, they would only have to win 3 more games to win Sam.

On Tyrone, to me they don't look to be in all that different a place to where they were last year.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 21, 2017, 03:27:41 PM
But BennyCake is overrated not exactly what you want? Talk them up as much as you can so they come crashing back down again with a bang like last year. I'd say you were delighted for Mayo to burst the red hand bubble.

At least Tonto can say they played well on Sunday and admits they look like contenders again but I think most of know that they've not managed to beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin in Croker for a long long time now.
To me contenders mean top 4 who on their day with a big performance could win it.

Last year we could have had a decent enough run to the AI final having met Derry, Cavan, Donegal, Mayo and Tipperary had we beaten Mayo. A lot of ABDs would have loved to see that final.

This year it will could be a lot tougher with Derry, Donegal, possibly Monaghan, Kildare/Cork, Dublin and Kerry

We've scored 44 times already in two matches from 17 different player so far. Not bad for a team meant to be so defensive.

Derry and Donegal were both very poor in their defensive efforts. Tyrone did a good/great job of taking advantage but from here on out the defenses they face are going to be far tougher.

For me the key scoring stat out of the two games would be 1 goal scored in two games where the team was well on top and the opponents did not defend well.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

A few things that impressed me about Tyrone on Sunday.

1 The discipline in the tackle. No big clumsy agriculture challenges, waited patiently for opponent to show the ball and made clean contact with the interception.

2 Decision making. Thought that the players made fantastic choices with their passing when under pressure. Nearly always took the right option. Very unselfish, very fluent and easy on the eye. Extremly hard to defend against for the opposition.

3 Point scoring. Although the reward is only one point for scoring 45 meters out on the wing. It is a much more difficult task than scoring a goal from 10 yards out with only the keeper to beat. The high point ratio over 40 in two championship games shows how ruthless Tyrone are. It shows more play when you get 3 points as opposed to 1 goal.

4 The amount of players that got on the score sheet I think it was 10 which shows an all round well balanced team effort. It also shows their not reliant on certain forwards to do their their bidding. The good weather helped enormously with that. Thats why  I believe Tyrone always excel in Croke ParK. Usually because its towards the better part of the year and its more sheltered.

5 The cohesiveness of play. Tyrone were hard to predict what they were going to do next.

6 Ball control. The confidence each player displayed on the ball. No panic even when under pressure. Almost like they were coached by Brian McGuigan.

7 Fitness and energy levels. Thought the players looked very strong and extremely fast.

8 Peter Hartes point. Two outrageous dummies before firing over the bar.

9 Subs. Despite clearing the bench I thought they showed for a lot for the ball.

10 Still no word of Lee Brennan maybe he's being kept for later on in the year.

Thats just somethings i can think of, off the cuff. I worry that a lot of the big teams will try using horse play on Tyrone later on in the championship. Example that carry on with Sean Cavanagh last year agin Mayo. 

longballin

Good analysis though I was also glad to see long kickouts and footpasses being sprayed... the other stuff, short kickouts and constant handpassing along the line was awful

BennyCake

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 21, 2017, 03:27:41 PM
But BennyCake is overrated not exactly what you want? Talk them up as much as you can so they come crashing back down again with a bang like last year. I'd say you were delighted for Mayo to burst the red hand bubble.

At least Tonto can say they played well on Sunday and admits they look like contenders again but I think most of know that they've not managed to beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin in Croker for a long long time now.
To me contenders mean top 4 who on their day with a big performance could win it.

Last year we could have had a decent enough run to the AI final having met Derry, Cavan, Donegal, Mayo and Tipperary had we beaten Mayo. A lot of ABDs would have loved to see that final.

This year it will could be a lot tougher with Derry, Donegal, possibly Monaghan, Kildare/Cork, Dublin and Kerry

We've scored 44 times already in two matches from 17 different player so far. Not bad for a team meant to be so defensive.

I call it as I see it. I've no time for building anyone up. Strangely I wasn't delighted Mayo won. I did actually think Mayo would beat them and was proved right.

I did recognise Tyrone played well, and had a great win v Donegal. But I can't concur regarding being AI contenders, because I don't think they are.

Top 4 talk is meaningless. Are Tipp top 4, because they were in the semis? Will Westmeath be top 4 if they beatDublin? Being a top 4 side is no consolation for Mayo in recent years.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

As they say what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. The defeat to Kerry in the all Ireland semi final two years ago and the loss to Mayo last year must have sickened this Tyrone team. Games they could have won but lost. The fans media etc might get a little animated with the performances so far in the championship but you can be guaranteed the management and players will be pretty grounded. A telling point was in Mickys interview after the game where he talked more so about things they could have improved on as opposed to the the performance they just put in.

If Tyrone can keep their players moving like they did on Sunday past rather than getting bogged down in a war of attrition they have the right tools at their disposal to make a great impression on this years championship.

omagh_gael

Some stats from the weekend were very impressive, for example, 1-19 of Tyrone's scores came from play. However, Declan Bogue on the We are ulster podcast just quoted a stat that Tyrone only gave away 8 free kicks during the whole game, including technical frees like overcarrying. That is a phenomenally disciplined performance.

Fuzzman

Very impressive indeed, especially with Murphy do deadly from frees but coming away from the match I was wondering did Donegal sacrifice tackling with a bit more intensity in order not to give away many frees though I thought the ref did let a lot go to be fair which other days would be frees.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I would not be surprised if Longford beat Donegal though, Ulster football is not where it used to be.

Fuzzman

I would be very surprised. Donegal don't become a bad team overnight and almost qualified for the league final.
They drew with Dublin and hammered Tyrone in the league and they have a very impressive record in Ballybofey.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 21, 2017, 06:42:24 PM
I would not be surprised if Longford beat Donegal though, Ulster football is not where it used to be.

I would be very surprised if Longford beat Donegal.

Il Bomber Destro

On Cavanagh, I don't think he gets much of a free pass if he underperforms.

Wasn't his greatest game on Saturday as he took a lot of wrong choices and such but you're not really going to be focusing on the negatives when you put in a performance like Tyrone did on Sunday. He still looks in tremendous shape for a lad who is now 34 and the mistakes he made were very unlike Cavanagh. He's still a very important player for us.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Yeah but I haven't seen a team as wide open down the middle since the Jason Ryan era. Hard to read anyhting into a match when one team are set up so badly and their heads drop. Tyrone are obviously a good team and will not be far away from competing in September but there is too much being read into this game.
Roscommon had a great league campaign in 2016 and look where they ended up.

I also felt sad seeing one of the great players of this century in Karl Lacey struggle so badly with his legs gone but then again it also looks like he had a hair transplant and I enjoy the suffering of men that vain.

Monaghan should provide a better guage of where Tyrone are at.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 21, 2017, 07:04:34 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 21, 2017, 06:42:24 PM

I would be very surprised if Longford beat Donegal.

They beat a better Monaghan team last year, lightning doesn't always strike twice but don't be shocked if it does.

Aughafad

longford won't get within 8 points of donegal