Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb81

A good game yesterday and a great end result. Some big performances and some things to work on. A good stepping stone to where we want to be in August / September. Think this team can get better. Will it be this year, im not so sure.

Morgan - Done all was asked of him. Would still have O'Neill in there, personal preference

McCrory - Thought he was steady, don't get the major criticism of him. Wasnt mentioned much, which i though would have been a good thing bearing in mind he is essentially a corner back. Would probably start McCarron instead of him with brennan at 6.

McNamee - Again steady, Donegal did get through the middle a good few times late in the game ( albeit the game was won ). Pooped up further up the field a lot. Steady game.

Hampsey - Thought he done a great job on Murphy and chipped in with a score ( 2 ), possibly should have had a goal or assisted by passing. Very good game. Cemented his place for the final.

McCann - Thought he was excellent all over the field. Defending well, pace, directness, finishing. Outstanding and possibly was my man of the match. Turning into a major player.

McCarron - Done his job ( defending ) very well. Seemed to be organising things more so than McNamee. Again Donegal got through a few times so something to work on. Man Marker for McManus/McCarron ( i assume MOnaghan will take care of Down ) in the final, along with Hampsey i would think.

Harte - Not majorly influential but a good steady performance and his experience was there to see when in possesion later in the game.

Cavanagh - Outstanding, whatever area of the pitch he was in. First name on the teamsheet these days.

McCann - Not as good as the Derry game. But good experience for him, put in his shift and good work rate.

McGeary - Thought he was excellent and has grown with every game. A typical Harte half forward. Ferocious workrate, and plenty of skill to go with. Definite starter in the final.

Sludden - Brilliant performance, very important to the side. Has everthing and well able to stand up when needed.

Mulgrew - Started of well, and was decent. Good workrate and a couple? of points. Good first championship game. May not be enough to make the final first 15.

Bradley - Had a good game, worked very hard on his own in there, couple of points. Harsh black card from what i could see. How did point stand if he fouled his man? Would love to see him kick off some day and put in a performance like against Coalisland inth first 20 minutes of the replayed County Final. But needs to get more and quicker ball into to him to do that.

Cavanagh - Not his best game, ran into tackles, held on to the ball too long. but still important to have him in there. Missed a good goal chance, could possibly have laid it off.

Donnelly - Had a good second half, seemed to walk throught the middle a few times. Possibly should have passed a few times rather than shooting. Seems to slow things down a lot when not on a counter attack. May be a tactic. Still definite starter. When he plays, he is brilliant.

McCurry - Possibly should have squared it with his goal chance. Not a starter.
O'Neill - Did ok. Not a starter.
McClure - Like the look of him, possibly him or McCann for midfield for the final.
McShane - Not sure what to make of him. Does some great things, and also some very strange decision making. Not necessarily yesterday. good squad option.
Rory Brennan - Would have him starting personally, think he is a fantastic footballer.

Would love to have seen us kick on and finish them of like Dublin or Kerry would have done, rather than start to sit back and invite them on to us which we did. They could have had 3/4 goals in about 20 minutes at the end. but we also missed our fair share of goal chances. So two things to work on stop goal openings and finish our own chances better.

Overall happy to be in another ulster Final, and bring it on.

Fuzzman

So "McNamee pooped up further up the field a lot."

I'm glad he doesn't shit on his own doorstep  ;D

Would agree with most of your player summaries there though I thought Morgans kick outs were excellent bar one that went over the line.

I think Conal McCann was a bit lost yesterday to be honest and didn't really get into the game.
I'd like to see him do well as I think he's usually good for a few scores.
That is the biggest positive and hope for me that we have a huge amount of players who can kick good points from far out and so we are not over reliant on any one or two players any more. Some say this is our problem that we don't have a clutch player any more but in todays highly defensive systems if your top forwards are held scoreless then if you can't get scores from elsewhere you are in trouble.

I think our FF line now is no longer really used for getting scores. Mattie and Sean mainly play out the field and yesterday Bradley was used to keep two Donegal defenders busy covering his runs while we played ball out the field.

Rois

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 19, 2017, 11:05:03 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 19, 2017, 10:43:29 AM
It is strange though how reluctant Mickey is to use Lee Keegan. There must be some reason.

There's one very obvious reason!  ;)
Made me smile too...not sure when Mayo will release him to come and live in Tyrone Fuzzman, but I'm not sure our defence needs him at the minute, I was happy enough yesterday. 

vallankumous

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 19, 2017, 12:38:44 PM

Would agree with most of your player summaries there though I thought Morgans kick outs were excellent bar one that went over the line.

I think Conal McCann was a bit lost yesterday to be honest and didn't really get into the game.
That is the biggest positive and hope for me that we have a huge amount of players who can kick good points from far out and so we are not over reliant on any one or two players any more. Some say this is our problem that we don't have a clutch player any more but in todays highly defensive systems if your top forwards are held scoreless then if you can't get scores from elsewhere you are in trouble.

I think our FF line now is no longer really used for getting scores. Mattie and Sean mainly play out the field and yesterday Bradley was used to keep two Donegal defenders busy covering his runs while we played ball out the field.

There were times yesterday and other days Pete harte has done that job. If he was wearing 15 on his back he'd be seen as someone who can do a little magic and turn a game. I think it's a case of pundits looking for an excuse to mention Canavan, O'Neill or Muligan than talk about current players.

Under Lights

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 19, 2017, 10:51:31 AM
I forgot to mention T McCann who was excellent as well, especially according to one or two on here he's not good enough to be on the team. It wasn't Sean Cavanagh's best game missing a few chances but still think he was involved well and his driving run nearly sent Brennan through for a goal. He also comes out and can compete well around the middle. He'll be disappointed with his finish for the first goal chance.

Just think if Ciaran McGinley hadn't have went away due to work commitments there would be no such thing as T McCann.

blewuporstuffed

He would have just ceased to exist?  ???
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fuzzman

Quote from: Rois on June 19, 2017, 12:50:57 PM
Made me smile too...not sure when Mayo will release him to come and live in Tyrone Fuzzman, but I'm not sure our defence needs him at the minute, I was happy enough yesterday.

Apparently he decided after his close encounters with Sean last August that we could find him a wife and a job minding sheep and he would eventually win his Celtic Cross.
Instead he put on Charlie Mulgrew against his old team and totally confused poor Donegal.  :o :o :o

jb81

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 19, 2017, 12:38:44 PM

Woops ..... lol

The Morgan thing is a personal preference, I just think he is prone to a brain fart. Although maybe he has matured a little this year, as he has done well..

Under Lights

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 19, 2017, 01:43:24 PM
He would have just ceased to exist?  ???

Exactly. Conall would have been the eldest in the house. Heir to the farm.

omagh_gael

Morgan's kick outs were fantastic, looks like he'll be the number one now. However, it's great to have such good competition with Mickey waiting in the wings. Like the 00s again with Packie and John.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 19, 2017, 11:52:50 PM
Morgan's kick outs were fantastic, looks like he'll be the number one now. However, it's great to have such good competition with Mickey waiting in the wings. Like the 00s again with Packie and John.

One thing Morgan is highly underrated on is how commanding he is under the high ball, made 3 or 4 excellent interventions on Sunday when hanging balls dropped into the box.

TheImpactCode

Morgan and Mark Anthony McGinley gave
an exhibition of goalkeeping on Sunday.

Still feel yer man Beggan is the top of the pile and
even ahead of cluxton

omagh_gael

Quote from: TheImpactCode on June 20, 2017, 08:10:54 AM
Morgan and Mark Anthony McGinley gave
an exhibition of goalkeeping on Sunday.

Still feel yer man Beggan is the top of the pile and
even ahead of cluxton

Agree regarding Beggan, his free taking into the wind against Cavan was phenomenal!

Fuzzman

We noticed on Sunday in the warm up how the Donegal keeper was practising punching high balls out to the corner back position and he did one of these during the match. It must be a tactic not to catch it in the box and be under pressure but to punch it clear out to the already waiting corner back.

I thought Morgan did well on Sunday with his kickouts and that punch away where he hurt himself but did he actually make it good saves? Once the ball hit off his chest which he did well to block but I wouldn't have particular said he had showed a great exhibition of goal keeping. He has matured a bit though and doesn't seem to get involved as much.

McGinley had to make a lot more saves and did so even though most were hit at him.
Beggan's free taking as improved hugely and he's a massive presence in the goals.

I watched the game again last night and I still can't decide did Tiernan mean to score his goal like that or did he miss hit it. He did well to side step the keeper and not just blast it at him like Sean and Brennan did.

GJL

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 20, 2017, 10:06:39 AM
We noticed on Sunday in the warm up how the Donegal keeper was practising punching high balls out to the corner back position and he did one of these during the match. It must be a tactic not to catch it in the box and be under pressure but to punch it clear out to the already waiting corner back.

I thought Morgan did well on Sunday with his kickouts and that punch away where he hurt himself but did he actually make it good saves? Once the ball hit off his chest which he did well to block but I wouldn't have particular said he had showed a great exhibition of goal keeping. He has matured a bit though and doesn't seem to get involved as much.

McGinley had to make a lot more saves and did so even though most were hit at him.
Beggan's free taking as improved hugely and he's a massive presence in the goals.

I watched the game again last night and I still can't decide did Tiernan mean to score his goal like that or did he miss hit it. He did well to side step the keeper and not just blast it at him like Sean and Brennan did.

Had to be a miss hit. Nobody tries to kick the ball like that!