Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baggio90

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on July 08, 2018, 11:34:37 AM
Objectively.... even Dessie and O'Rourke though the ref was giving softer frees to Armagh. I also believe he made two mistakes with the advantage rule. Anyway it made no difference to the match.

Edit: I don't realize who the poster is. Objectivity is not possible.

Colm O'Rourke is hardly objective, his hate for Northern teams is well known.

Throw ball

On the subject of fouling I feel many of the frees given against Armagh over the season have been because they so often tackle man to man when a free is easier to spot. Most other teams have adopted the swarm tackle with numerous bodies around the man on the ball. Unless the referee has numerous eyes this IMHO can mean the defenders can get more physical and even if a free is given it is harder for the referee to issue a card. My problem with this form of tackling is that is also hides a lot of sly tackles and discourages skilful players trying things - just pass it and keep things simple. I always prefer referees who give the advantage to the player in possession.

Tim’s Hero

If ever there was an argument for a tiered championship this match was it. We got a great game against 2 evenly matched teams , however they are so far off the top table it is shocking . Two teams would be intermediate in a county championship scenario.No disrespect to Roscommon but they will do well not to be beat by 10 points in each super 8 game. McStay and Roscommon though has a plan and see the 3 games as a progression to Div 1 next year and then come back stronger to championship next year. Armagh however despite the best endeavours of a number of players are back to square one next year with no idea of who will play who won't , will management be retained or let go after another poor day at the office yesterday !!!!!!

Baggio90

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 08, 2018, 12:05:14 PM
If ever there was an argument for a tiered championship this match was it. We got a great game against 2 evenly matched teams , however they are so far off the top table it is shocking . Two teams would be intermediate in a county championship scenario.No disrespect to Roscommon but they will do well not to be beat by 10 points in each super 8 game. McStay and Roscommon though has a plan and see the 3 games as a progression to Div 1 next year and then come back stronger to championship next year. Armagh however despite the best endeavours of a number of players are back to square one next year with no idea of who will play who won't , will management be retained or let go after another poor day at the office yesterday !!!!!!

I think Armagh did well this year. They have a serious amount of important players who are injured or opted out for the year gone by. If they were to get the vast bulk of these lads back I don't see any reason why they couldn't push for Div 1 promotion next year.

I think it's disappointing at the minute how Armagh, Cavan and Derry have so many important players who have not made themselves available. There was an Ulster title there this year that these three sides had a genuine chance of winning if they had their full compliment.

Syferus

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 08, 2018, 12:05:14 PM

These burner WUM accounts are so tiring.

Tim’s Hero

Which came first withdrawal of players which led to mediocrity or acceptance of mediocrity which led to withdrawal of players, it is no coincidence that Armagh , Derry and Cavan all adopted defensive systems inspired by Jim McGuinness's Donegal , this then led to talented forwards in particular becoming redundant and frustrated and eventually coming to the realisation that an absolute dummy could perform the role they were asked to perform and eventually left panel when it became apparent the system was more important than talent .

Baggio90

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 08, 2018, 12:38:54 PM
Which came first withdrawal of players which led to mediocrity or acceptance of mediocrity which led to withdrawal of players, it is no coincidence that Armagh , Derry and Cavan all adopted defensive systems inspired by Jim McGuinness's Donegal , this then led to talented forwards in particular becoming redundant and frustrated and eventually coming to the realisation that an absolute dummy could perform the role they were asked to perform and eventually left panel when it became apparent the system was more important than talent .

Armagh is surprising as they had such a good trajectory last year and were playing a brand of football which empowered their forwards.

This year they lost the likes of Clarke, Oisin O'Neill, Stefan Campbell and Ciaran O'Hanlon in the forward line.

To be perfectly honest, Cavan and Derry just don't really seem to have many top class forwards but you look at Derry and they've been without a host of very talented players over the past few years which they could really have achieved something with. I look at Derry under Barton the past few years and Armagh under McGeeney the past few years, they have both had squads shorn of important players for various reasons but both sides have really taken on the baton with great pride and spirit and it makes you think that if they had all their best players fit, available and buying into what the management team are doing then why couldn't they target an Ulster title at least.

The point is there was an Ulster Championship up for grabs this year. Fermanagh would not have the same pool of ability of those 4 counties but found themselves in an Ulster final this year.

tonto1888

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 08, 2018, 12:38:54 PM

Have you watched Armagh recently

Tim’s Hero

Yes I have . Watched them for a long time now , watched how we went from being in AI QF v Donegal in 2014 and running them so close to yesterday and anybody who thinks Armagh are making progress is fooling  themselves , a handful of players are doing sterling work to cover over the cracks.

larryin89

Well done to Roscommon , very enjoyable game of football to watch .

Is their a gulf in class between Roscommon and the bigger teams , super 8 will tell us conclusively whether that's true or not . 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

giveballaghback

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 06, 2018, 04:53:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2018, 04:48:43 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 06, 2018, 03:51:02 PM
All the pressure on Roscommon as defeat would mean its been a poor season given their easy run to reach the super 8's and would suggest they've gone backwards.

Don't let anger cloud your judgement.

Don't understand the little hype around Roscommon. Think they are doomed tomorrow. Spineless when it comes to it. Beating near neighbours once every other year in May and subsequently booking the Gresham for the first Sunday in September doesn't constitute talent. Limited team who (and as a Tyrone man pains me to say this) will be dumped out tomorrow by a harder, sterner better coached Armagh team.
Ahem, could you please give us your prediction for our game next weekend, you are so incisive with your analysis.

Orchard park

Quote from: larryin89 on July 08, 2018, 01:30:41 PM
Well done to Roscommon , very enjoyable game of football to watch .

Is their a gulf in class between Roscommon and the bigger teams , super 8 will tell us conclusively whether that's true or not .

Time will tell, at least we  the chance to find out instead of wondering or dreaming wildly......

giveballaghback

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2018, 12:28:22 AM
Quote from: Solo_run on July 08, 2018, 12:25:43 AM
The Roscommon ones are quite likeable chaps in winning. I was dreading the ribbing on here after the loss on my 30th birthday but I think you have found yourselves a new fan.

Good luck to Ross in the super 8s

Armagh and Fermanagh people are the only Ulster lads we can stand.
Speak for yourself syf, as far as im concerned Ulster people are the finest.

giveballaghback

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2018, 01:44:46 AM
Let me guess Baggio90 is reincarnation of Il Bomber Destro?
Jaysus is desperate Dan back?

illdecide

I see the schools are off for the summer based on the posts
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch