A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 03, 2024, 09:58:09 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 03, 2024, 09:53:36 AM
Quote from: statto on May 03, 2024, 08:25:03 AMAt least they have the speed cameras out this morning to rectify the issue  ::)

This is the issue. The police try to do something to help in the short term and people come out with stuff like this.
Fundraising exercise

For what?? Don't tell me... the Christmas party?
You're a dose.

JoG2

Quote from: statto on May 03, 2024, 08:25:03 AMAt least they have the speed cameras out this morning to rectify the issue  ::)

This is the issue. The police try to do something to help in the short term and people come out with stuff like this.

Was on the A5 yesterday, they had their usual speed camera out at Magheramason just before the over taking lane after the village
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 03, 2024, 09:58:09 AM

Fundraising exercise

Well the one out yesterday at Magheramason just outside the village before the over taking lane is a money making machine, and is doing nothing to curb speeding on the dangerous parts of the a5 where it should be

Milltown Row2

Only a money making machine if people are going over the limit?

I've been done many times with the cameras over the years, no excuse, speeding and wrong, do I blame the camera for being there? No that's all on me. Anyone that thinks they can speed 'safely' is crazy

If they put the average speed cameras on the road would it make it safer? Wouldn't know the stats on the accidents  in regards to speeding, carelessness, recklessness and so on, but in the meantime till its sorted it needs some attention.

What stage is it at with planning and at what point will they government say we've taken into considerations your issues of not having it but we are going ahead with it anyways? 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

square_ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2024, 11:46:55 AMOnly a money making machine if people are going over the limit?

I've been done many times with the cameras over the years, no excuse, speeding and wrong, do I blame the camera for being there? No that's all on me. Anyone that thinks they can speed 'safely' is crazy

If they put the average speed cameras on the road would it make it safer? Wouldn't know the stats on the accidents  in regards to speeding, carelessness, recklessness and so on, but in the meantime till its sorted it needs some attention.

What stage is it at with planning and at what point will they government say we've taken into considerations your issues of not having it but we are going ahead with it anyways? 

No issues with speed camera being out on various parts of the road.

Do they ever publicise cause of accidents? Would it not be a good thing to say how these accidents happen? Like is it speeding/overtaking/other cars pulling out/phone use etc? Lessons then maybe learned by future users of the road which may prevent such accidents - new road or not. I do appreciate it is a sensitive subject with loved ones of those involved in these incidents.

Deerstalker

Quote from: square_ball on May 03, 2024, 12:04:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2024, 11:46:55 AMOnly a money making machine if people are going over the limit?

No issues with speed camera being out on various parts of the road.

Do they ever publicise cause of accidents? Would it not be a good thing to say how these accidents happen? Like is it speeding/overtaking/other cars pulling out/phone use etc? Lessons then maybe learned by future users of the road which may prevent such accidents - new road or not. I do appreciate it is a sensitive subject with loved ones of those involved in these incidents.

You always see the stat, and it's high - over 90%, of all collisions/fatal RTC are driver error of some form, not concentrating, excess speed etc. Obviously on a busy, dangerous road the margin for error reduces drastically.

You would need to be at each inquest to get the full detail. 

Milltown Row2

Had an accident couple of years ago, nothing bad but that'd down to luck maybe, but coming out of a junction on to a road, I seen the car come over hill on my right, I looked left to see nothing coming other way and once I seen the car pass me on my right I pulled (slowly) out onto the road, right into the car that was behind the car I'd seen!

The young lad near shit himself, I pushed his car onto the verge and pinned it against hedge, thankfully it was early doors and no other traffic came at us either way.

My fault entirely, thankfully no one hurt and the I took his details and the insurance covered everything, I never knew if he put in for damages or not I was just happy it didn't result in nothing more.

The point is, you can be as careful as you want, but those junctions that have limited or short viewing time to allow you out on to the road will result in a crash at some point. But the speed of driving is what brings it to a level were life is at risk
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Yes 100%, but it's more the optics of it. Another horrific crash on the A5, and the following morning there's a speed van (of which I'm sure there is only a limited nunber) in a safe part of the A5 trying to catch motorists doing 5mph over the 30 approaching an overtaking lane. The van definitely be out on the A5, but situated near an accident black spot.... Was a hot topic of conversation among the Strabanimals and Omagh folk in our work yesterday

RedHand88

Quote from: JoG2 on May 03, 2024, 01:48:12 PM

Yes 100%, but it's more the optics of it. Another horrific crash on the A5, and the following morning there's a speed van (of which I'm sure there is only a limited nunber) in a safe part of the A5 trying to catch motorists doing 5mph over the 30 approaching an overtaking lane. The van definitely be out on the A5, but situated near an accident black spot.... Was a hot topic of conversation among the Strabanimals and Omagh folk in our work yesterday

If you're doing 35mph in a 30 you deserve a fine. There's a reason it's 30 and not 40.

"If you hit a pedestrian: at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed. at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed. at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed."

JoG2

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 03, 2024, 03:57:14 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 03, 2024, 01:48:12 PM

If you're doing 35mph in a 30 you deserve a fine. There's a reason it's 30 and not 40.

"If you hit a pedestrian: at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed. at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed. at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed."

This I know, I said it's the optics of it and went on to explain. I definitely don't need lectured in road safety