Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: gawa316 on April 25, 2019, 09:23:03 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 25, 2019, 09:14:34 AM
Quote from: laoislad on April 24, 2019, 10:03:55 PM
Quote from: stiffler on April 24, 2019, 10:00:46 PM
7 defeats in 9; ole on a worse run than Jose ever was.

At what point does he come under pressure ?
Manager of the season contender they were saying on here...
Couldn't bring myself to cheer for them so went for a run. Not surprised they lost, they are shite.

Yet your genius team and manager settled for a draw against them when they were effectively down to 9 men. Could be the 2 points that lose ye the title.....

Magpie you're an awful fella for taking the bait...I'd have thought you'd be more concerned with your claim of signing Messi, Ronaldo and Maradona to get this 90 point tally you and MM talk about

My claim?

gawa316

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 25, 2019, 09:27:39 AM

Couldn't bring myself to cheer for them so went for a run. Not surprised they lost, they are shite.

Yet your genius team and manager settled for a draw against them when they were effectively down to 9 men. Could be the 2 points that lose ye the title.....

Magpie you're an awful fella for taking the bait...I'd have thought you'd be more concerned with your claim of signing Messi, Ronaldo and Maradona to get this 90 point tally you and MM talk about

My claim?
There are there abouts...

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 18, 2019, 01:49:54 PM

United are averaging just below 2 points per game and that's with half the season being a disaster. I agree with MM that the net addition of 3 top class difference makers could push United well above the 2 point average into the 80's and maybe even higher. Getting the right players might be difficult but I feel the current management may be shrewder about what's required than anyone since Ferguson so cautiously optimistic.

trailer

Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2019, 09:27:17 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 25, 2019, 09:24:27 AM
Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2019, 09:19:29 AM
Quote from: TabClear on April 25, 2019, 08:55:41 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 24, 2019, 11:26:02 PM

Yes but the thing is, the match that I think lost Liverpool the title was the 0-0 draw with United. Half United's team were wearing neck braces, slings, missing limbs and finished the match on crutches, and you failed to take advantage.

I think thats probably right. Its hard to criticise a team that has only lost once to date but that run of West Ham, Everton, and Utd where scoring goals were a problem is ultimately going to be the killer.
It was the Leicester game where I think the damage was done. 1 up after a after a few minutes we should have went on and buried them. Mane missed a great chance to put us two up also. Like you say though hard to criticise after only losing 1 game so far. Great times ahead and still the Champions League to look forward to.
Didn't expect anything from that useless shower last night and the United fans got the result they wanted anyway.

United won enough titles and I cant remember once relying on Liverpool to dig out a result for them, won them off their own back. Still three games to go and anything could happen.
We dug ye out of it in 1995 but couldn't finish the job yourselves...

Ahhy but sure we won a hape of titles anyway.

clink, clink. clink, clink. Is that a crate of bottles I hear??

Gaafan2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 25, 2019, 09:20:48 AM
Pogba is the worst kind of player. He's good when he wants to be. I honestly think that united's great run was (not entirely but mainly) because of him and I honestly think the same about their bad run too!

100%

GetOverTheBar

People are talking here like it's Football Manager, 6 out, 8 in etc etc. It doesn't work like that. You need to scout players, you need to do your homework on them as men - because United are signing players, not men.

They are in a world of trouble and they are quickly becoming a crisis club.

magpie seanie

Quote from: gawa316 on April 25, 2019, 09:32:32 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 25, 2019, 09:27:39 AM

My claim?
There are there abouts...

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 18, 2019, 01:49:54 PM

United are averaging just below 2 points per game and that's with half the season being a disaster. I agree with MM that the net addition of 3 top class difference makers could push United well above the 2 point average into the 80's and maybe even higher. Getting the right players might be difficult but I feel the current management may be shrewder about what's required than anyone since Ferguson so cautiously optimistic.

So it wasn't my claim, it was Maroon Manc who said 90+ points with the addition of 3 players, ya? At least have the decency to admit when you get it wrong.

gawa316

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 25, 2019, 09:57:14 AM

So it wasn't my claim, it was Maroon Manc who said 90+ points with the addition of 3 players, ya? At least have the decency to admit when you get it wrong.

So you weren't agreeing with him?

seafoid

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 25, 2019, 09:54:17 AM
People are talking here like it's Football Manager, 6 out, 8 in etc etc. It doesn't work like that. You need to scout players, you need to do your homework on them as men - because United are signing players, not men.

In terms of running a football club, the Glazers and Woodward are clowns
In terms of generating cash they are experts

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

United needed De Gea & Pogba to have good games to win last night and they ended up been United's worst players. Tactically United got a lot right, City struggled the first half and United created several moments where they could get at City but lacked composure to create chances. Once again we've gifted teams goals, bad defending and bad goalkeeping has led to goals yet again.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned United's fitness levels, its a huge problem and yet again last night City out ran United. I think 2 of the fitness coaches have left and haven't been replaced. United have no confidence so once they went behind it was game over, I wouldn't be too critical of Ole last night.

Pogba is starting to look like the biggest problem, he didn't give all he could last night; There was several instances of him putting no effort into getting back and as Gary Neville said it looks like he doesn't want to be there. How can you keep a player like that who turns it on when he feels like it, unfortunately that decision might be taken out of Ole's hands as it sounds like Woodward is desperate to keep him for commercial reasons.

GJL

Hopefully

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 25, 2019, 10:17:15 AM
United needed De Gea & Pogba to have good games to win last night and they ended up been United's worst players. Tactically United got a lot right, City struggled the first half and United created several moments where they could get at City but lacked composure to create chances. Once again we've gifted teams goals, bad defending and bad goalkeeping has led to goals yet again.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned United's fitness levels, its a huge problem and yet again last night City out ran United. I think 2 of the fitness coaches have left and haven't been replaced. United have no confidence so once they went behind it was game over, I wouldn't be too critical of Ole last night.

Pogba is starting to look like the biggest problem, he didn't give all he could last night; There was several instances of him putting no effort into getting back and as Gary Neville said it looks like he doesn't want to be there. How can you keep a player like that who turns it on when he feels like it, unfortunately that decision might be taken out of Ole's hands as it sounds like Woodward is desperate to keep him for commercial reasons.

When Ole mentioned it recently it joined the dots. A lot of these guys really upped the workrate when Mourinho was sacked but didn't have the base level conditioning to maintain it. Now a lot of them look fatigued and hence the poor recent run. I think that's something fixable. Another shocking indictment of the previous regime. I was amazed when someone on this thread lambasted Moyes and LVG but claimed "progress had been made" under Mourinho. Laughable. Overall though, things are never as good as them seem in good times or bad as they seem in bad times. We'll know shortly. I like to see transfers getting wrapped up nice and early. It indicates a planned approach. Later in the summer (or worse still January) worry me.

Need to beat Chelsea at the weekend. They're a level or two below City so it should be doable. Just have to stop conceding poor goals to have a chance. At least a win there keeps the last few weeks interesting (and hope still lives of avoiding the Thursday/Sunday routine next season).

screenexile

Highlight of the evening was 5ft 6 Raheem Sterling outjumping 6ft 3 Paul Pogba . . .

How the f**k does that happen??!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2019, 10:12:07 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 25, 2019, 09:54:17 AM

In terms of running a football club, the Glazers and Woodward are clowns
In terms of generating cash they are experts

Find it hard to argue that point - however apathy towards United is now once again on the surge. There will come a time they literally cannot afford to keep messing it up.

The debt is still there. It's just an odd malaise all round.

Keyser soze

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 25, 2019, 10:28:22 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 25, 2019, 10:17:15 AM

When Ole mentioned it recently it joined the dots. A lot of these guys really upped the workrate when Mourinho was sacked but didn't have the base level conditioning to maintain it. Now a lot of them look fatigued and hence the poor recent run. I think that's something fixable. Another shocking indictment of the previous regime. I was amazed when someone on this thread lambasted Moyes and LVG but claimed "progress had been made" under Mourinho. Laughable. Overall though, things are never as good as them seem in good times or bad as they seem in bad times. We'll know shortly. I like to see transfers getting wrapped up nice and early. It indicates a planned approach. Later in the summer (or worse still January) worry me.

Need to beat Chelsea at the weekend. They're a level or two below City so it should be doable. Just have to stop conceding poor goals to have a chance. At least a win there keeps the last few weeks interesting (and hope still lives of avoiding the Thursday/Sunday routine next season).

What is laughable is your feeble attempts to still lay the blame at Mourinho's door for some shocking performances and results over the past few weeks, in order to justify your long term assertion that Mourinho was the wrong man for Utd. Well the worst run of results in 50+ years would suggest that setting the criteria for being manager as being 'a Utd man' maybe wasn't the smartest thing to do. 

johnnycool

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 25, 2019, 08:03:13 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on April 24, 2019, 11:09:47 PM
Too many players are looking at where they will be next season and minding themselves. There are probably only a few players that are certain to be there next year, sad thing is there won't be as big a clear out as is needed. Mata, Herrera look gone, Magic, Young, Sanchez, Darmian, and a few more probably will be gone, and add in the constant talk about Pogba and De Gea leaving means they are all looking to where they will be next year and no focus on the rest of this season.
Top 4 has been there for the taking, United needed to be busting a gut to get something from the last few games. It shows the character of these players, and I really feel Pogba is a rotten Apple in a squad like this.
They are not that far off but they need 4 key signings in the summer, keep the the core and promoter a couple of youth players.

Who are the core?

There is no core, that is the problem.

Smalling and Jones, bought to replace Ferdinand and Vidic as someone mentioned earlier on Fergusons watch.
Young, overpriced English talent in the hope they'd come good and probably on the cheap when you consider what they actually paid for Ferdinand back in the day.
All those centre backs bought since aren't a lot better.

Utd should have bust the bank for Kante when it was obvious he was leaving Leicester, did they make a serious effort for him I wonder??

City were a bit off the pace last night, but there was ever only going to be one winner and when the first went in you'd have feared another 3 or 4 Nil at the theatre of dreams.