Ashers cake controversy.

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topcuppla

So in Crossmaglen a man walks into a cake shop and asks for a cake with a sash and a god save ulster slogan, are they legally obliged to deliver or face the wrath of the equality commission?

AZOffaly

Are you asking me that? I've already said I'm not sure about this ruling because of potential issues like that. I'm not arguing against you 😃

GJL

This is nonsense. I own a business built with hard earned money on my own property. If I don't want to do business with somebody for what ever reason I should have the right to turn them away. My business....my choice.

Maguire01

Quote from: topcuppla on May 20, 2015, 10:08:31 PM
So in Crossmaglen a man walks into a cake shop and asks for a cake with a sash and a god save ulster slogan, are they legally obliged to deliver or face the wrath of the equality commission?
Yes, on my understanding of this judgement, unless they have an explicit policy about not making cakes with political/religious slogans.

But if I was them, i'd take the order.

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 20, 2015, 10:14:29 PM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 20, 2015, 10:08:31 PM
Yes, on my understanding of this judgement, unless they have an explicit policy about not making cakes with political/religious slogans.

But if I was them, i'd take the order.

Take the order and ask them at what time they were coming back to collect it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: GJL on May 20, 2015, 10:13:41 PM
This is nonsense. I own a business built with hard earned money on my own property. If I don't want to do business with somebody for what ever reason I should have the right to turn them away. My business....my choice.
Yeah, but there's this thing called 'the law'.

If you don't want to do business with someone because they have a bad credit history, for example, that's fine. If you don't want to do business with them on the basis of their religion, race, sexuality, gender etc. then you're discriminating.

topcuppla

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 20, 2015, 10:17:04 PM

If you don't want to do business with someone because they have a bad credit history, for example, that's fine. If you don't want to do business with them on the basis of their religion, race, sexuality, gender etc. then you're discriminating.

The orange order doesn't obey the law but that is ok?

Maguire01

Quote from: topcuppla on May 20, 2015, 10:19:31 PM

The orange order doesn't obey the law but that is ok?
What are you talking about? What relevance does that have?

T Fearon

Nolan Show on just now! Ashers will figure prominently!

gallsman

Quote from: T Fearon on May 20, 2015, 10:38:37 PM
Nolan Show on just now! Ashers will figure prominently!

All a bit tame. Needs more vitriol, pedantry and shouting by ugly people.

Sidney

Very difficult situation for Stephen Nolan here.

To go a whole hour talking about cakes without eating anything will be the most difficult programme he's faced yet.

gallsman

Quote from: Sidney on May 20, 2015, 11:04:02 PM
Very difficult situation for Stephen Nolan here.

To go a whole hour talking about cakes without eating anything will be the most difficult programme he's faced yet.

Was he not supposed to be on some weight loss regime? I haven't watched him in years and he looks bigger than ever.

Sidney

Yes, you're a homophobe, Peter.

GJL

Ways and means. Ashers too honest for their own good but it is obvious they were deliberately targeted in this case. I assume they will appeal?

gallsman

Quote from: GJL on May 20, 2015, 11:29:40 PM

Ways and means. Ashers too honest for their own good but it is obvious they were deliberately targeted in this case. I assume they will appeal?

How is it obvious? Did you know it was run by evangelical Christians? I certainly didn't. I'd never even heard of them to be honest.