NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

That was a red card alright. I don't think the Tyrone lad meant to catch the Galway fella but he did. Very similar to Mooneys red against us last year

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Dubhaltach on February 23, 2020, 10:09:04 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 23, 2020, 06:32:24 PM
Thank God the Tyrone sending off is the topic of the day because Mayo were awful, bloody awful today. I haven't seen a performance that bad in a long while. I expected us to lose. But to be outscored by 2-11 to 0-5 in the second half, well you know the rest. I hope James Horan learns at least this ONE THING: don't start Jordan Flynn against Kerry, Galway or Tyrone. Nothing really against him, but he literally cannot make any physical contact with any opposition player or there'll be some kind of card handed out. Unfortunately our lack of underage success is coming home to roost.

While the collapse in the final quarter was disappointing, you have to bear in mind the number of probable starters we were missing today, these include Brendan Harrison, Chris Barrett, Matthew Ruane, Cillian O Connor, Fionn McDonagh, Jason Doherty and James Carr. No other division one team has an injury list like this. We'll be a totally different team come championship and all analysis at the moment has to take account of this

Meath have as many missing i believe and they have less strength in depth than Mayo.

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on February 23, 2020, 10:19:08 PM
These boys banging on about "The ref should know Murphy wouldn't want to get involved in that so common sense should prevail."

The ref can only act on what has been seen by him or reported by his officials, not on a scenario he makes up in his own head. I can't understand how they can suggest that.

Murphy could have gone earlier with a straight red.
The second yellow was a joke though. It's become a no brainer now to just get in a tussle with a player that's already yellowed and even though he does not react in a violent way he will get sent off.
In a one point game getting Murphy off the field was .......
Good shout that Murphy on the field could have got a valuable point from the game.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Kingdom37 on February 23, 2020, 09:33:10 PM

To be fair a couple mayo lads have form for this as well. Young Connors and Aidan Shea at it today. They weren't shy in dishing it too and both lucky to finish the game.
Quote from: kerryforsam19 on August 06, 2019, 08:47:06 AM
Quote from: oliverkelly on August 06, 2019, 08:40:40 AM
Quote from: kerryforsam19 on August 05, 2019, 01:13:41 PM
Shaun Patton
Brendan Harrison
Ronan McNamee
Tom Sullivan
Gavin Crowley
Colm Boyle
Ryan McHugh
David Moran
Aidan O'Shea
Mattie Donnelly
Seanie Shea
Jamie Brennan
Cillian Connors
Cathal McShane
David Clifford

Is this actually a wind up? Cillian Connors? i persume you mean Cillian O Connor, Not a chance does he deserve an All Star on this years form he has only played a hand full of games. If he has an exceptional semi final and Final yeah maybe but not within an asses roar at the minute.
Brendan Harrison got roasted in a good few games in this years championship. Against both Roscommon and Kerry he was taken to the cleaners.

Connors have been most consistent forward in last month. Harrison want too bad against Kerry.

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on July 12, 2019, 03:34:42 PM

I hope wont see Cillian Connors at this Sunday Wont have Dublin Joe or Mossy Deegan to back him.

Quote from: TheMaster on February 05, 2019, 02:45:25 PM

Have you a horn for the dubs?  :)  Every thread is Dublin this. It not healthy obbsessing.  Mayo have a lot of young players coming through.  Only for unlucky misses by Cillian Connors and red mist by Donal Vaughan mayo would be champions. Your day will come soon.

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on July 02, 2019, 08:18:24 AM

A thread about Cillian Connors turns into Dublin again.  Do you think about kerry and the dubs more than your own family? 😥😥😥😥😥

You keep saying that you have one username, it's genuinely pathetic that you would spend so much time on here thinking its hilarious that you can wind people up.

Quote from: Kingdom37 on February 16, 2020, 09:41:20 PM
Quote from: joemamas on February 16, 2020, 07:22:15 PM
Quote from: bannside on February 16, 2020, 12:14:20 PM
As ideas go I think thats a good one. Why the sarcasm Farren. Makes you feel good does it?

Farrandeelin is 100% correct.
That tool bag has six or seven alias's and is absolutely making a joke of the website.

Less of the bullying please.  Typical man. Are females not allowed have opinions or is your ego getting in the way? I have one username. We don't question your trolling "referees audition  for finals" my grandson is a referee and we have clowns like  you question referee integrity? ??? If you don't want post on subject please f**k off. Mayo posters love to troll on this board and anyone put something controversial they resort to bullying like your yourself Joe so take a long in the mirror
Hasta la victoria siempre

Taylor

McGeary one was a red card all day long - cant connect with a mans head especially at that sort of speed.

McShane is a serious loss - while the Galway lads gave him a hard time yesterday (fairly most of the time I might add) it would be a different story with the dry sod.
Hopefully all goes well and he gets back later in the season.

PJ has Galway playing some lovely football - long may it continue.

Angelo

Quote from: Taylor on February 24, 2020, 07:44:54 AM
McGeary one was a red card all day long - cant connect with a mans head especially at that sort of speed.

McShane is a serious loss - while the Galway lads gave him a hard time yesterday (fairly most of the time I might add) it would be a different story with the dry sod.
Hopefully all goes well and he gets back later in the season.

PJ has Galway playing some lovely football - long may it continue.

If you are giving a red card for that then you have to outlaw the shoulder challenge as those incidents happen up and down the country on a regular basis. I've seen far worse and more cynical illegal shoulder tackles go unpunished week in week out.

It was no worse than Munroe's in the Ulster final a few years back that wasn't even called for a free or Kevin McManamon against Kerry.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

highorlow

If you are giving a red card for that then you have to outlaw the shoulder challenge

It's supposed to be shoulder to shoulder. Once it's executed correctly it's one of the most pleasurable tackles in the Game.

You correct though, it's a fine line for the tackler. Love watching this one!

https://youtu.be/MQZemthWLLA
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

trueblue1234

Red card or not, it was one decision and not worth the time discussing it in so much detail as the reality was we were getting a trimming in that game regardless in my eyes. We were so poor. I lost count of the number of misplaced side wards passes that were cut out by a Galway player. We were so far off the pace it was unbelievable.
So may players were poor and will know they need to step up and quickly. Mickey got some of the match ups badly wrong as well.

As for McShane, absolute nightmare for him. But will take the focus of him now and Mickey needs to work out a plan B quickly.

Dublin next week in Omagh. If ever there was a game made for giving the team a lift it's that one. But another hammering and the knives will be out very quickly. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Angelo

Quote from: highorlow on February 24, 2020, 09:25:32 AM

If you are giving a red card for that then you have to outlaw the shoulder challenge

It's supposed to be shoulder to shoulder. Once it's executed correctly it's one of the most pleasurable tackles in the Game.

It is and I have no qualms with that but if you are giving red cards for lads being a split second late with a shoulder tackle then they should not be allowed.

In football nowadays if your two feet leave the ground in a tackle, it's red card irrespective of whether the ball is played or not. If they are going to justify the decision to send McGeary off like that then they can't defend the use of a shoulder challenge.

It's a yellow card at most, it's fair attempt to hit him a shoulder, the Galway player changes direction at the last second and gets caught. I've heard people going on about elbows being used but they have some imaginations to see an elbow there.

There has to be leeway that sometimes players are going to be a split second late, particularly with the pace of the game now.

galwayman

Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2020, 09:35:22 AM

It is and I have no qualms with that but if you are giving red cards for lads being a split second late with a shoulder tackle then they should not be allowed.

In football nowadays if your two feet leave the ground in a tackle, it's red card irrespective of whether the ball is played or not. If they are going to justify the decision to send McGeary off like that then they can't defend the use of a shoulder challenge.

It's a yellow card at most, it's fair attempt to hit him a shoulder, the Galway player changes direction at the last second and gets caught. I've heard people going on about elbows being used but they have some imaginations to see an elbow there.

There has to be leeway that sometimes players are going to be a split second late, particularly with the pace of the game now.
No in fairness to McGeary there was no raised elbow there (from my vantage point on the sideline I had thought he caught him with the elbow but replays showed this was not the case).
He was unlucky - a second earlier and there is no head contact.

Angelo

Quote from: galwayman on February 24, 2020, 09:47:50 AM

No in fairness to McGeary there was no raised elbow there (from my vantage point on the sideline I had thought he caught him with the elbow but replays showed this was not the case).

It comes down to whether what McGeary did was either reckless or dangerous.

It was genuine attempt to hit a legitimate shoulder, his stance in executing the shoulder was textbook for a legitimate shoulder challenge but his timing was a split second out.

A genuine attempt to execute the shoulder charge but the timing was out by a fraction, a yellow card would have sufficed. If referees are deeming legitimate tackles that could be out by a fraction as reckless and dangerous then those tackles should be outlawed completely from the game, otherwise policing it becomes an absolute minefield.

It's frustrating as the impact red cards have in the game today is monumental. I think we were 5 points down at that time but we were still well in the game, we had carved Galway open for at least three goal chances by then and hit the post 4 times.

Referees need to be absolutely certain when issuing a red card, there's no way Lane could have been.

macdanger2

Team        P W D L +/- Pts.
Galway      4 3 0 1 20 6
Dublin       4 2 2 0 7 6
Monaghan 4 2 1 1 12 5
Kerry        4 2 1 1 3 5
Tyrone      4 2 0 2 -17 4
Donegal    4 1 1 2 8 3
Mayo        4 1 1 2 -13 3
Meath       4 0 0 4 -20 0

PP odds to win the league:

Dublin 8/11
Kerry & Galway 4/1
Monaghan 8/1
Tyrone 25/1
Mayo 50/1
Donegal 66/1

To be relegated:

Meath 1/500
Mayo 11/8
Donegal 6/4
Tyrone 3/1
Monaghan 12/1
Kerry 14/1

Meath look like they're gone now with Galway, Dublin & Monaghan to play.

Fixtures for the other three likely to be scrapping it out at the bottom (although if Kerry lose in Castlebar next weekend, they could be dragged into it):
Mayo: Kerry (H), Galway (A) & Tyrone (H)
Donegal: Monaghan (H), Tyrone (H) & Kerry (A)
Tyrone: Dublin (H), Donegal (A) & Mayo (A)

Those last two games for Tyrone against Donegal & Mayo look like they'll be the key games in deciding who gets relegated. That hammering yesterday means we're probably screwed if it comes down to points difference between ourselves and Donegal.

lenny

Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2020, 09:57:46 AM

It was genuine attempt to hit a legitimate shoulder, his stance in executing the shoulder was textbook for a legitimate shoulder challenge but his timing was a split second out.

A genuine attempt to execute the shoulder charge but the timing was out by a fraction, a yellow card would have sufficed. If referees are deeming legitimate tackles that could be out by a fraction as reckless and dangerous then those tackles should be outlawed completely from the game, otherwise policing it becomes an absolute minefield.

It's frustrating as the impact red cards have in the game today is monumental. I think we were 5 points down at that time but we were still well in the game, we had carved Galway open for at least three goal chances by then and hit the post 4 times.

Referees need to be absolutely certain when issuing a red card, there's no way Lane could have been.

You said it comes down to whether what he did was reckless or dangerous. It can be said with certainty that what he did was dangerous. His shoulder made sickening contact with the Galway players jaw and he definitely looked concussed. It was just pure luck he didn't suffer a broken jaw or a bad concussion. Oisin mcconville summed it up last night when he said it was an unnecessary type of tackle because he'd have been much better off trying to tackle or strip the ball.

Angelo

Quote from: lenny on February 24, 2020, 10:16:24 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 24, 2020, 09:57:46 AM

You said it comes down to whether what he did was reckless or dangerous. It can be said with certainty that what he did was dangerous. His shoulder made sickening contact with the Galway players jaw and he definitely looked concussed. It was just pure luck he didn't suffer a broken jaw or a bad concussion. Oisin mcconville summed it up last night when he said it was an unnecessary type of tackle because he'd have been much better off trying to tackle or strip the ball.

That makes no sense whatsoever. What McGeary did do was a textbook shoulder challenge that was mistimed as a fraction. If you deem tackles like that in the game to have the potential to be highly dangerous or reckless if mistimed by the nth degree then you simply have to ban it wholesale. The GAA allow for shoulder tackles to be used, therefore they can't deem them reckless or dangerous if they are genuine attempts and mistimed by a fraction. It's fairly straight forward, as usual you can't leave you bias and bitterness at the door. We all know you'd be singing off a completely different hymn sheet if the roles were reversed.

His shoulder did not make contact with the Galway player's jaw. the player was not concussed and was up on his feet looking sprightly shortly after and was checked over by medical staff. At least have the manners to talk about things that actually happened rather than letting your imagination run wild.

imtommygunn

Angelo there's a bit of an irony in you talking about leaving bias aside.

As several people have said it could be deemed dangerous or reckless. It's a debatable one yes but that's about it. Some refs might not have given it but plenty would IMO.

It is not a decision, or even close to a decision, which calls into question fundamental rules like the shoulder challenge.