Falls from Grace

Started by general_lee, September 18, 2023, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Was just browsing the club results on GAA.ie and noticed Glen Rovers of Cork have been relegated from senior hurling in Cork, not sure if it's a shock or not or was eventually going to happen but they were one of the clubs I always associated with Cork hurling. I see former Down kingpins Bryansford have also been relegated from senior football after losing a play off. St John's in Belfast while not relegated shipped a heavy defeat in their hurling QF and look to be on the way down in both codes - another club I always associated with Antrim football (and lesser extent hurling). Clubs always go through a lean period but these are names I always associated with the top level.

ardtole

Bryansford will play in div 2 in the Down league next year but they will still play senior championship next season if they beat Saval in final relegation play off. Only one team gets relegated into intermediate.

Rossfan

Glen Rovers 97 years Senior and 1 of the traditional big 3 in Cork.
A result of inner City depopulation?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LC

Kevin Lynch's Hurling Club Dungiven going by the tanking they got in the County final yesterday.

The gap between them and Slaughtneil getting wider.

ClubScene13

Ballinderry Shamrocks - Ulster champions ten years ago and heading into a relegation playoff in October

SCFC

Last year's Carlow champions Palatine are in the relegation final of this year's championship.

clarshack

Previous recent fall from grace was 13 times Kerry Senior Champions Austin Stacks who were relegated last year to Intermediate for first time. They won both Kerry Senior County and Senior Club Championships in 2021 and were narrowly beaten by St. Finbarr's of Cork in the Munster Final. They will play Intermediate again next year after their IFC Semi-Final defeat last weekend.

LeoMc

Mickey Harte. From managing to Tyrone to crossing the Rubicon Ballinderry river.

brokencrossbar1

Castleblayney Faughs,  record Monaghan title holders, had the highest number of county titles in the country till we surpassed them, haven't won a senior in 20 years and relegated to Intermediate last year for first time in their history.

general_lee

Quote from: ardtole on September 18, 2023, 04:31:24 PMBryansford will play in div 2 in the Down league next year but they will still play senior championship next season if they beat Saval in final relegation play off. Only one team gets relegated into intermediate.
I stand corrected, still a bit of a shock all the same to see them in Division 2.

shawshank

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 19, 2023, 08:39:31 AMCastleblayney Faughs,  record Monaghan title holders, had the highest number of county titles in the country till we surpassed them, haven't won a senior in 20 years and relegated to Intermediate last year for first time in their history.

Didn't know that, mayor shock. The coaching in the club must be a mess.

ClubScene13

Quote from: general_lee on September 19, 2023, 09:58:18 AM
Quote from: ardtole on September 18, 2023, 04:31:24 PMBryansford will play in div 2 in the Down league next year but they will still play senior championship next season if they beat Saval in final relegation play off. Only one team gets relegated into intermediate.
I stand corrected, still a bit of a shock all the same to see them in Division 2.

I'm not a Down man, but I always found the referring to Bryansford as a stalwart of Down football strange. Have they not only won the championship once in the last 40 years? You'd need to be over 60 to have a good memory of their glory days.

general_lee

Quote from: ClubScene13 on September 19, 2023, 12:26:16 PM
Quote from: general_lee on September 19, 2023, 09:58:18 AM

I'm not a Down man, but I always found the referring to Bryansford as a stalwart of Down football strange. Have they not only won the championship once in the last 40 years? You'd need to be over 60 to have a good memory of their glory days.
I always thought of them as one of the traditional powerhouses of Down football. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure only a couple of clubs have won Down since Bryansford last did anyway.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2023, 06:30:49 PMGlen Rovers 97 years Senior and 1 of the traditional big 3 in Cork.
A result of inner City depopulation?

More to do with the design of the Cork hurling championship, 3 groups of 4 with relegation, so it's cut throat. I don't think it's part of any great malaise, they still have Horgan and the two Downeys & won Cork minor last year (I think) or maybe two years ago.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Rossfan

Haven't they gone down to Intermediate relegated from Senior A (second tier)?
Makes them 25th in the rankings now.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM