Laois Intermediate Football Championship 2020/2021

Started by SCFC, August 06, 2020, 11:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Super win for Clonaslee. Well deserved. I though Evan O'Carroll would drag Cretty though but they really missed James Brennan and Ciaran Burke was obviously not fully fit. Should Laois be looking at Niall Corbett as an outfield player? He was excellent.

As is being said, Clonaslee are well capable of competing well in the senior next year. The only issue is the same one facing Rosenallis and trying to juggle both codes with a lot of dual players.

As for Cretty, they should be well set to win next year's intermediate. Not much consolation to them this week. I think only Mountmellick (who should have Eoin George back next year) will be a threat.

Helix.

If someone wants to start a new thread for 2021 fire away.

Mountmellick had a good win over Arles Kilcruise
Park Ratheniska beating an awful Timahoe side.
O'Dempseys beating a junior b standard Portlaoise side as they're holding back a strong team to try win junior A.
Crettyard beating the Rock with Evan O'Carroll scoring 2:9 I think.

Timahoe or Portlaoise to be relegated. After seeing Portlaoise team last night I'd say it'll be them.
Mountmellick or Crettyard to win it out.

Silkyskillssunshinee

I wouldn't write off Arles-Kilcruise yet. I think they'll have something to say by the end of it, maybe even a rematch against Mountmellick in the final.

That Portlaoise result highlights another one of their issues. Focused on trying to win a Junior championship rather than build a strong second team to push their Senior team on that bit more.

SCFC

Saw Arles last night and they were good value for their win over Crettyard. They had a young lad Munnelly up front who did very well!
I think they might play Park Ratheniska now in the semi final? They've already played Mountmellick.
Also saw Timahoe scrape past The Rock a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant late goal by Quigley.
Should be a Mountmellick v Park Ratheniska final.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: SCFC on October 01, 2021, 09:03:56 AM
Saw Arles last night and they were good value for their win over Crettyard. They had a young lad Munnelly up front who did very well!
I think they might play Park Ratheniska now in the semi final? They've already played Mountmellick.
Also saw Timahoe scrape past The Rock a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant late goal by Quigley.
Should be a Mountmellick v Park Ratheniska final.

I think Kilcruise might be just that bit cute for Park Ratheniska if they were to play them in a semi-final. Can't see anyone other than Mountmellick winning this out though, it's about time they went back up to Senior.

Spiritof86

Haven't seen Park yet but can't be much them Arles and Mountmellick? Mountmellick do look the strongest but again intermediate is never that straightforward. Expected more from Cretty this year .

Ballybrittas Boy

It's a pity Ruairi O'Connor isn't playing for Timahoe this year. I'd give them a chance if they had him but Mountmellick should be too good for them.

Spiritof86

Silkyskillssunshinee

I have a feeling Kilcruise might find a way to sneak past Park. If it's in the melting pot in the last fifteen mins or so, Munnelly and Conway could take over and get them over the line.

The other semi should be fairly straightforward. Mountmellick should have too much Timahoe.

Spiritof86

Superb from Park . They have the momentum and can see them giving Mountmellick plenty to think about Friday week . I think young Fingleton will be loss in the final . Looked like a Broken collar bone

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Spiritof86 on October 17, 2021, 04:31:14 PM
Superb from Park . They have the momentum and can see them giving Mountmellick plenty to think about Friday week . I think young Fingleton will be loss in the final . Looked like a Broken collar bone

Mountmellick have been putting up some big scores all year. I worry that they haven't been properly tested for over a month now though and PR might just catch them cold in the final now.

Pugwash

Fair play to Park, they've done trojan work at all levels (male and female) for a numbers of years now and are reaping the rewards.

There will be another fresh faced team in the Laois senior championship next year which is never a bad thing, especially when we've seen how Ballyfin, Clonaslee, Rosenallis and Courtwood have offer something different in recent years.

Mountmellick a club I've always liked and admired really need to be playing senior again, having strong teams in urban area's is absolutely vital for Laois football going forward.

I still think the senior championship would benefit from having 10 or 12 teams maximum, which in turn would ultimately bulk up our intermediate championship with more quality and depth.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Barrowhouse and St Joseph's in the semi-finals of the Junior championship. Can't imagine there will be much love lost there after how the whole Daly transfer saga played out and there subsequent splitting at underage level. St Joseph's look fairly strong at this level but Barrowhouse had a good victory over a strong Portlaoise third team. Should be a good battle.

Tintin84

Should be Mountmellicks to lose, Just think they'll have too much strength in depth and should win by 5 or 6. Regardless I'd worry for them at senior level compared to Clonaslee, Rosenallis and Courtwood they are an aging team that will struggle at senior level, I can't see them staying up if they do win it,

Helix.

Quote from: Tintin84 on October 18, 2021, 10:47:28 AM
Should be Mountmellicks to lose, Just think they'll have too much strength in depth and should win by 5 or 6. Regardless I'd worry for them at senior level compared to Clonaslee, Rosenallis and Courtwood they are an aging team that will struggle at senior level, I can't see them staying up if they do win it,

Will be an even enough game. Didn't see Gearoid Hanrahan on team for Mountmellick is he away?

Park were full value for win yesterday 3 wins on the bounce in Stradbally. Kieran Kelly in fairness has them fairly well drilled and they didn't panic when Kilcruise came back into it towards last 10 minutes. Only a matter of time when they go up to senior ranks a good mix of youth and experience at the moment. Kilcruise had a couple of the na Fianna og players on that minor a final so I imagine they'll be an addition to them in a year or 2.