Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Wouldn't it be great to know the full details of how difficult the CB are to work with...and likewise their perspective on financial prudence. Not suggesting anybody in the know posts here, and I'd be the first to criticise EB if he went public with details, but you can't help but want to know!!

We had a very successful supporters club in the early -mid 90s around the time of the minor All Ireland's and Babs' time with the hurlers. Seemed to be aimed mainly at tapping up business people. Must have been somewhat successful to fund the above because the CB finances were in an awful state around that time.  I don't know who was running the Laois Supporters club in Cheddar's time but it seemed aimed more so at mass subscription by the ordinary supporter.
Be interesting to know which approach was more successful.

What sort of financial situation are we currently in re debt repayment commitments over the next 10 years or so? There's no obvious major infrastructure work needed on either OMP or the LOETB COE really is there? Perhaps team running costs will be freed up?
To be fair to the CB they do seem to have been decent at tapping up sponsors a bit out of the left field (thinking of MW, LOETB, Magni, Gala, Gain etc).
It's a pity the IDA have neglected Laois so badly. A few MNCs with a tax bill to offset would do the likes of Laois GAA no harm at all.

As I said earlier I hope neither Wexford nor Dublin come knocking for EB. I don't think he is currently in the frame for the Kk job and I don't really see anywhere else that would be a step forward for him. Dublin's resources are obvious and Wexford seem to be fairly happy to write out blank cheques.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SCFC

I'd imagine the finances aren't wonderful. There was a cost involved in upgrading the lights in OMP. They probably still have a reasonable debt to be paid off in the COE. It's probably a thankless job saying no to county managers but someone has to.

portlaoisekid

Do the CB actually want laois hurling to be successful? If yes ,they will  move heaven and earth to continue the progress we have made under Brennan and keep him and his team , everything he asks of the players and CB is for the greater good of Laois hurling.

I suspect the answer is that Laois hurling is down their list of priorities, Brennan will leave and we will be back to square one and possibly worse by the new year .

No chance Eddie Brennen will be laois mgr for next year.

burdizzo

Yes, it's a test for the CB, but I get the impression Cheddar looked for a bit of backing from the and didn't get it either, so there's the precedent.

Spiritof1915

Its obvious Brennan has a problem with the CB. Before this years championship started he had a go on laois today i believe and hes continued in the last few months.  I firmly believe that the cb are only ticking boxes when it comes to hurling. There's some serious talent in this county but  a plan is needed.

G@@

Quote from: burdizzo on November 08, 2020, 06:39:45 PM
Yes, it's a test for the CB, but I get the impression Cheddar looked for a bit of backing from the and didn't get it either, so there's the precedent.

I was under the impression that Cheddar was self-financing parts of the hurling team expenses?

We do need a big corporation here to finance Laois GAA, but it would still have to be prudent and managed correctly.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

burdizzo

Yeah, well I did say "backing" as opposed to "financial backing"!

SCFC

Quote from: burdizzo on November 08, 2020, 06:39:45 PM
Precedent on the football side too with Sugrue. And to be fair to him, his "wish list" wasn't exorbitant.

Helix.

Sunday game brushing over the penalty incident and the last minute free. Wouldn't be like them to under analyse a game.

G@@

Quote from: Helix. on November 08, 2020, 11:30:03 PM
Sunday game brushing over the penalty incident and the last minute free. Wouldn't be like them to under analyse a game.
Agreed. They gave more focus on Clare's red card for McInerney which was off-camera. On one hand they're all about respecting the referees, then on the other hand they're questioning their decisions - which to be fair to the Ref, he consulted his linesman before flashing red.
It was interesting to hear Donal Og Cusack harp on about players in Laois making themselves available and for EB to stay on, but was bewildered with his last line - Laois had just 20 scores v Clares 27!!! Next weekend, he'll be crowing about "how goals win games". Very poor analysis,and it took Ursula to actually highlight Laois's positives under the guise of Clare's defence issues.
It seems Laois are only useful for the "upset" headlines on the Sunday Game. Any Laois hurler reading this should think, well F them above in RTE, lets give them loads of upsets and write our own headlines!!!
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

on the hop

Quote from: Helix. on November 08, 2020, 11:30:03 PM

once again Paddy Purcell taken out be a black card foul

Giovanni

Really outstanding performance by the hurlers on Saturday. When you consider the injuries, illnesses and defections that affected the panel (and the starting team), it was a truly courageous effort.

Great performances all around the pitch but some of the skills from Aaron Dunphy and Mark Kavanagh in particular were really outstanding. Pleasure to watch them hurl.

It's absolutely critical to hold on to Eddie Brennan. There just aren't replacements of that calibre out there. I don't know what he wants that he's being denied but I can't imagine it's something outrageous. He seems to me to be a lad that bases everything on a hard work, no frills approach and you can see that in the way the team plays. I'd be surprised if his training/preparation systems were any different so I'd be surprised if there were Davy Fitz style expenses involved. I think hurling people in Laois (both corporate and regular supporters) would be willing to support Eddie Brennan if it could be established what was needed. As Keyser says, there's a lot of rumour and pub talk and it would be great to know what the issues really are.

redsetanta

I didin't expect that result but it made my weekend. Very proud of the lads for leaving everything out on the grass of Nowlan Park.
If the game had gone on for another 5 minutes I am convinced we'd have beaten Clare. There was huge momentum with Laois at that stage. Clare were able to pick off the scores a little easier but our direct running really unsettled them.
In fairness to Donol Og he is right re the scoring, 27-20. For modern intercounty hurling a tally of 17 points is not enough to win a game.
The team is evolving and improving year on year and like everyone else I would hope that Eddie stays on. I get the impression that there is a great bond between him and the team and he speaks very passionately so he has an emotional involvement that wouldn't have been there with other outside managers.

I wouldn't be dripping with cash but if a supporters club was set up to help finance the hurlers I would happily donate a few bob because they've given me a few good days in the past few years. Interesting to hear Lyons in co-commentary saying that some of the Laois lads needed to bulk up a bit to compete better in the physical stakes. Is he right?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

on the hop

well that was some finish to an interview by Eddie Brennan on Woolie's podcast!!, what do people thing.

ottoman

Quote from: on the hop on November 09, 2020, 05:22:02 PM
well that was some finish to an interview by Eddie Brennan on Woolie's podcast!!, what do people thing.

Whats this now. Did Brennan say something bad?