The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

For years I really respected them especially when Hume was at the helm.  Since Durkan gave up the leadership I think they have went into terminal decline and as there isn't much of an SDLP youth wing I would say they are a spent political force at this stage.  That doesn't mean they will lose Westminster seats though, I think there are a hardcore of people who will never vote for shinners who would vote SDLP now.  Unless some kind of middle ground politics starts to become the order of the day the SDLP will disappear while the extremists on the nationalist side will benefit ultimately
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ziggysego

They were in decline before Durkan stepped aside. Admittedly, since Richie took over, they've nose dived.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Never had much respect for them, never seen them doing much locally. In fact you wouldn't see them locally unless there was an election.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Minder

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 23, 2010, 09:37:22 PM
Never had much respect for them, never seen them doing much locally. In fact you wouldn't see them locally unless there was an election.

I can say the same for Sinn Fein in West Belfast, maybe they just take it for granted.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Minder on April 23, 2010, 09:40:33 PM

I can say the same for Sinn Fein in West Belfast, maybe they just take it for granted.
Local Shinners would do a lot in our area, just a pity the can't/won't get rid of the ceasefire soldiers and sheep.
Sinn Fein will go the same way as the SDLP in a few years when McGuinness and Adams step aside.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

I had reason to contact SF and the SDLP over an issue my wife was having.  Neither of them really did anything about it even though it was clearly within their power to do so, shinners sent an email while the SDLP did a bit of donkey work in terms of phone calls, emails, letters, I won't go into details on here about it for obvious reasons but nothing seemed to work.  By chance I happened to bump into Ken Magennis on a bus from Belfast to Enniskillen and I thought I would chance my arm with him.  I was wearing an Armagh shirt at the time and had a bit of craic with him about Tyrone and that he was a bit of a hypocrite watching matches on TV when he wouldn't go to one if it was on a Sunday.  He proved to be way more helpful than either of the SDLP or the shinners.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Hurler on the Bitch

Jeyes - yer wan Ritchie really is hard to like! She seems to lack any human or personal touch that would appeal to the masses. Also, would be the last one to laugh at a joke methinks as humour would not be her strong point. Just goes to show: once a schoolteacher, always a schoolteacher - I'm sure many in the SDLP ranks have had had a degrading lecture from that ice maiden. God help her other half - if there is one?

ardmhachaabu

Maguire01

To be honest, I don't think Ritchie is the worst politician - she seems to do a decent job as DSD Minister and I get the impression she's very genuine. But she's a terrible public speaker, very unnatural, and a poor choice as party leader.

The SDLP will always have a core vote and I think it's important the Nationalists have an alternative to SF.

Main Street

Wearing the Armagh shirt was the key, brought out the sympathy for a constituent who can only suffer so much.

Orior

Seamus Mallon was the best ever SDLP politician. Dont know if he ever wore a red tie.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Quote from: Orior on April 24, 2010, 12:15:30 AM
Seamus Mallon was the best ever SDLP politician. Dont know if he ever wore a red tie.

:o

John Hume was the best.
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 23, 2010, 09:45:14 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 23, 2010, 09:40:33 PM

Local Shinners would do a lot in our area, just a pity the can't/won't get rid of the ceasefire soldiers and sheep.
Sinn Fein will go the same way as the SDLP in a few years when McGuinness and Adams step aside.
Dont know about that, Conor Murphy looks a nailed on successor to these boys and  he seems shrewd enough, plus if the SDLP remain as woeful, SF will still be dominant by default.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

The Shinners rely on Westminster money to keep a lot of their backroom staff jobs going in West Tyrone.

Some would call this irony. I am one of them.

I enjoyed Gerry slagging Ritchie for the SDLP taking a paid trip to Afghanistan from the UK govt,yet Sinn Fein are taking thousands upon thousands from the same govt for cushy flats in London.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Ulick

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on April 24, 2010, 02:08:53 AM
The Shinners rely on Westminster money to keep a lot of their backroom staff jobs going in West Tyrone.

Indeed and Stoops like Durkan rely on Westminster to keep him and his family in style.