The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 01, 2021, 10:20:38 AM
IMO if the SDLP want to go anywhere they need a new leader. I just don't think Eastwood is up to it.
Is there any decent political leader in NI at the minute ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Angelo

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2021, 03:09:30 PM
IMO if the SDLP want to go anywhere they need a new leader. I just don't think Eastwood is up to it.

Is there any on the island of Ireland?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Armagh18

Jim Allister!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Angelo on April 01, 2021, 03:16:12 PM

Peadar Toibín

seafoid

Is Michelle  O'Neill a good leader ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Angelo

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2021, 06:16:14 PM

Is Michelle  O'Neill a good leader ?

Not particularly. Would say O'Dowd or Murphy are far more capable.

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 01, 2021, 04:02:28 PM

Peadar Toibín
Him, Mary Lou and Healy Rae. The rest are woeful.

Rich Ricci

O'Neill got the job because she's a female, a box ticking exercise so SF could be seen to be progressive..John O'Dowd was the best candidate and had already deputised for McGuinness.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rich Ricci on April 01, 2021, 06:42:55 PM
O'Neill got the job because she's a female, a box ticking exercise so SF could be seen to be progressive..John O'Dowd was the best candidate and had already deputised for McGuinness.
Yeah I wouldnt be too impressed with her now.

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 01, 2021, 06:44:28 PM

She's poor enough alright.

Pierce Doherty is a decent talker and clued in.

It's the likes of him will bring the shinners to the next level in the south in particular, O'Dowd is probably the best in the North although he can be inclined to lose the cool once in a while.

Armagh18

Quote from: johnnycool on April 02, 2021, 10:24:24 AM

It's the likes of him will bring the shinners to the next level in the south in particular, O'Dowd is probably the best in the North although he can be inclined to lose the cool once in a while.
Pearse is top class as is Mary Lou. Murphy is decent in the North.

Angelo

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2021, 10:56:22 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 02, 2021, 10:24:24 AM

Pearse is top class as is Mary Lou. Murphy is decent in the North.

Doherty, O'Broin and Matt Carthy are definitely SF's top guys down south.

Mary Lou is good on the light stuff but gets tripped up on detail.

Angelo

Colum of Stopping Brexit fame saying Unionists leader must do better in light of the recent violence.

Maybe Colum would be better looking at his own little political stunt and the role it had in kicking things off.

The SDLP have been badly exposed in the past week.

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on April 05, 2021, 09:07:04 AM
Colum of Stopping Brexit fame saying Unionists leader much do better in light of the recent violence.

Maybe Colum would be better looking at his own little political stunt and the role it has in kicking things off.

Totally agree. SDLP have contributed a lot over the years, but current strategy from leadership seems focussed on rivalry with SF above all else, thereby often letting unionism
Off the hook. "Nationalist/republican" political parties here haven't done well in recent years. Demographics indicate that there should be an increasing "N/R" vote but in fact SF seem to have lost voters to SDLP and SDLP lost voters to a resurgent alliance , and as a result the "N/R" vote hasn't effectively increased. I think SF will only increase their vote by attracting voters back from SDLP. Most republicans will remain loyal to SF, so there's not many more votes there, but SF will have to perform better in terms of formulating and selling a strategy for a UI, and continue to soften to attract SDLP voters , and/or be "more acceptable " for coalition, north and south. IMHO regardless of their rationale behind the IRA campaign , there has to be more contrition and remorse for the hurt caused, if SF are serious about securing their status as main party north/south.

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on April 05, 2021, 09:27:53 AM
Quote from: Angelo on April 05, 2021, 09:07:04 AM
Colum of Stopping Brexit fame saying Unionists leader much do better in light of the recent violence.

Maybe Colum would be better looking at his own little political stunt and the role it has in kicking things off.

Totally agree. SDLP have contributed a lot over the years, but current strategy from leadership seems focussed on rivalry with SF above all else, thereby often letting unionism
Off the hook. "Nationalist/republican" political parties here haven't done well in recent years. Demographics indicate that there should be an increasing "N/R" vote but in fact SF seem to have lost voters to SDLP and SDLP lost voters to a resurgent alliance , and as a result the "N/R" vote hasn't effectively increased. I think SF will only increase their vote by attracting voters back from SDLP. Most republicans will remain loyal to SF, so there's not many more votes there, but SF will have to perform better in terms of formulating and selling a strategy for a UI, and continue to soften to attract SDLP voters , and/or be "more acceptable " for coalition, north and south. IMHO regardless of their rationale behind the IRA campaign , there has to be more contrition and remorse for the hurt caused, if SF are serious about securing their status as main party north/south.

I think SF will build on the last assembly elections. I see the SDLP becoming more and more an irrelevance as their little games this week show they have nothing of value to offer the nationalist/republican communities other than point scoring and optics.

The Westminster elections were a bit of an outlier. SF don't take their seats, Colum was voted in by a landslide by a pledge to stop Brexit. He's an absolutely worthless politician and we know there were big ructions within the party when he hitched their boat to s centre right partitionist party down south.

Eastwood has been the final nail in the coffin for them. I think he kind of typifies the perception of SDLP representatives. From what I know of local SDLP councillors they almost feel as if it is an affront to them when asked to relay their constituents concerns or needs. They are completely detached from those they expect to vote for them.