American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on November 13, 2018, 10:36:31 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 13, 2018, 10:00:19 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 13, 2018, 09:50:10 PM
I don't think he's entitled to FA next year either.

No he can hit free agency in March, a year older and down $14.5m

How does that work with the transition tag though?

He can hit free agency or the Steelers can transition tag him which allows the Steelers to match any offer that is made to him, I would see this as unlikely. Would say they will just cut him loose. Running backs have a very short peak shelf life and Bell has just wasted a year of his without getting paid. 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

But if he gets Gurley money, which he will come close to, he'll get 40 odd million guaranteed which he'd never get in Pittsburgh.

There are merits to both sides of the arguement but I find it very easy to understand Bell's point of view considering his usage rate. He'd never see the final years (and therefore money) of a long term deal with the Steelers when he's touching the ball 400 times a year.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on November 14, 2018, 10:16:12 AM
But if he gets Gurley money, which he will come close to, he'll get 40 odd million guaranteed which he'd never get in Pittsburgh.

There are merits to both sides of the arguement but I find it very easy to understand Bell's point of view considering his usage rate. He'd never see the final years (and therefore money) of a long term deal with the Steelers when he's touching the ball 400 times a year.

He may get Gurley money, I don't see it as Gurley is a couple of years younger but even if he does he has lost out on $14.5m this year, he can never get that back.

The things about RBs is there is usually a good one around the corner, be that someone that is already on your roster or in the draft. Good teams know this that's why they don't usually overpay at the RB position. Steelers offered him $33m guaranteed in the summer, with nothing guaranteed after two years. So if he played this year and next he was ready to get paid again

There are enough badly run teams out there that may overpay him but i wouldn't be certain of it.

Minder

@AndrewBrandt is a good follow on Twitter on this type of stuff, he used to be the GM in Green Bay

His pinned tweet is funny

From his Sports Illustrated article today -

Deadlines spur action ... or not. As discussed here often, Le'Veon Bell has boycotted his weekly $855,000 paycheck since the start of the season, and as someone who negotiated contracts as both and agent and team executive for a decade each, I have never understood that decision. In an apparent strategy of "saving himself," Bell will forfeit $14.5 million this season, with no guarantee of making it up, money that is no pure savings—both in cash and cap—to the Steelers. We will find out in March if there is any positive outcome to Bell's strategy, one that I am told was not endorsed by either the NFLPA or his agent, but my sense is that is money lost for good. A wish or hope is not a plan.

magpie seanie

The way James Conner has played has to have devalued Bell. I personally think he has been very stupid in what he has done. He should have taken the $33m guaranteed by the Steelers. It's colossal money. If he gets $40m guaranteed in the summer (which I cannot see happening) was it worth throwing away a season (with a possible contender for once) and $14.5M for an extra $7m? It doesn't make sense. Running backs unfortunately are not as highly valued as in the past and it's ok to not get exactly the same money as the other guy. Brady (and others) have restructured their contracts and got paid a lot less in base salary than some terrible players (especially QB's) because (a) they want to win and (b) exactly how many millions do you need?

James Conner is a great story and more power to him. I'm delighted he doesn't have to deal with the hoopla that would surround Bell returning and the aded pressure it would bring. He has earned his role and good luck to him, especially after the adversity he has faced. How anyone would wish the guy to fail is beyond me.

Syferus

Bell made the right choice. The Steelers were planning to run him into the ground this season. I hope more players treat this as a business and forget about the nonsense eminating from teams and supporters.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2018, 03:24:16 PM
Bell made the right choice. The Steelers were planning to run him tho the ground this season. I hope more players treat this as a business and forget about the nonsense eminating from teams and supporters.

How is leaving $855,000 a week on the table a good "business" decision? that money can never be recovered. His agent and the NFLPA advised him against it.

The Steelers raved about Conners in training camp, he was going to get touches this season

Therealdonald

Quote from: Minder on November 14, 2018, 04:46:24 PM
Bell made the right choice. The Steelers were planning to run him tho the ground this season. I hope more players treat this as a business and forget about the nonsense eminating from teams and supporters.

How is leaving $855,000 a week on the table a good "business" decision? that money can never be recovered. His agent and the NFLPA advised him against it.

The Steelers raved about Conners in training camp, he was going to get touches this season

To clarify, I hope nothing untoward happens Conner as its a great story. I do want the Steelers to fail though because of what they done with Bell. If you are the de-facto best RB in the league, and maybe the 2nd best receiver on your own team, surely you should be offered more than 1 guaranteed year. Basically the Steelers were banking on Bell having another MVP like year, then cutting him loose or worse hoping he gets hurt. Bell done exactly what the rest of us would do in the same position.

Minder

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 14, 2018, 05:11:10 PM

To clarify, I hope nothing untoward happens Conner as its a great story. I do want the Steelers to fail though because of what they done with Bell. If you are the de-facto best RB in the league, and maybe the 2nd best receiver on your own team, surely you should be offered more than 1 guaranteed year. Basically the Steelers were banking on Bell having another MVP like year, then cutting him loose or worse hoping he gets hurt. Bell done exactly what the rest of us would do in the same position.

He wasn't offered one year guaranteed, the tag for any player is only one year, he was offered $33m gtd over two years in the summer. Teams usually tag players with a view to working out a long term deal. That's what the Steelers did.

Clov

The form of the Steelers offense in general, and the run game in particular, has really hurt Bell's holdout. I don't blame the Steelers for the position they've taken - they operate within the rules as they're laid down and make the decisions they think will benefit the organisation in pursuit of their goals. What weakens the player's negotiating position more than anything is the franchise tag. The NFLPA should really look to get rid of it in the next collective bargaining round.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Syferus

The Steelers raved about Conners because they wanted to pressure Bell into returning. They've tried so many dirty tricks with continual leaks to the media that using that as an arm of your arguement is misguided at best.

Staying healthy and knowing your worth is rarely the wrong choice. Fûck another 400 plus touches for a team that's going to try to use you up with no regard to your future.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2018, 07:04:54 PM

The Steelers raved about Conners because they wanted to pressure Bell into returning. They've tried so many dirty tricks with continual leaks to the media that using that as an arm of your arguement is misguided at best.

Staying healthy and knowing your worth is rarely the wrong choice. Fûck another 400 plus touches for a team that's going to try to use you up with no regard to your future.

Whatever, as they say

Capt Pat

He left 14 million on the table. How could he do that?

Oraisteach

It's a gamble.  He hopes to earn much more and get a guaranteed 3-year contract rather than playing this year, getting injured, and possibly ending his career and huge earning potential.

magpie seanie

The way the rules are is pretty unfair to the players especially regarding the franchise tag. Overall I think he has lost himself money due to this. It might benefit others in the future though.