Sigerson Cup

Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

FINAL SCORE: UU 0-13 DCU 1-14 DCU are through to the Sigerson Cup final! UU stayed in touch throughout but DCU's early goal proved insurmountable

wherefromreferee?

In your Endo!

skeog

uuj be bitterly disappointed with this result after all the hype about the quality squad they have

shark

Quote from: skeog on February 19, 2016, 04:31:56 PM
uuj be bitterly disappointed with this result after all the hype about the quality squad they have

As loaded as their squad is with top players, it's arguably less loaded than both UCDs and DCUs. The hysteria over their defeat to UCC in the final a couple of years ago was hard to understand. The UCC team was full of Cork, Kerry and Tipps best young players. Sometimes when names are familiar people can believe they are better. We are all guilty of it at times.

tippabu

Quote from: shark on February 19, 2016, 04:48:38 PM

As loaded as their squad is with top players, it's arguably less loaded than both UCDs and DCUs. The hysteria over their defeat to UCC in the final a couple of years ago was hard to understand. The UCC team was full of Cork, Kerry and Tipps best young players. Sometimes when names are familiar people can believe they are better. We are all guilty of it at times.

That UCC team had one from tipp anyway, think maybe 4 or 5 kerry, bulk of the team were all from cork to be fair

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 03, 2016, 11:57:36 AM
DCU and UCD will be more than a match for UUJ both colleges are full of senior county starters.
8)

Syferus

Weird turn of events when it's DCU that are the saving grace of the Sigerson on here. Thankfully UUJ's purchase agreement on a Sigerson fell through yet again. DCU built a team, UUJ bought one in. That was the difference.

shark

Quote from: tippabu on February 19, 2016, 04:57:11 PM

That UCC team had one from tipp anyway, think maybe 4 or 5 kerry, bulk of the team were all from cork to be fair

Quinlivan and Geaney were certainly on it. I guess the point I'm trying to make is if you are from Cork/Kerry you would have thought that team was loaded prior to the competition starting as you knew the players better. I read on here every year that the UUJ team is the strongest on paper, and maybe it is, but I only ever recognise about half the names on the team, as they are mostly Ulster players and I don't pay as close attention. I recognise names from the UCD subs, by comparison.

Final tomorrow should be excellent. McCafferey will be a big loss for UCD if he misses it. Both teams seem to have a lot of scoring power. Hoping DCU do it, as have a clubmate on their team, but think they will have their work cut out.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on February 19, 2016, 05:14:25 PM
Quote from: tippabu on February 19, 2016, 04:57:11 PM

Quinlivan and Geaney were certainly on it. I guess the point I'm trying to make is if you are from Cork/Kerry you would have thought that team was loaded prior to the competition starting as you knew the players better. I read on here every year that the UUJ team is the strongest on paper, and maybe it is, but I only ever recognise about half the names on the team, as they are mostly Ulster players and I don't pay as close attention. I recognise names from the UCD subs, by comparison.

Final tomorrow should be excellent. McCafferey will be a big loss for UCD if he misses it. Both teams seem to have a lot of scoring power. Hoping DCU do it, as have a clubmate on their team, but think they will have their work cut out.

UUJ managed to 'tempt' both IT Sligo's manager and best player to their campus for this season. The idea that they aren't trying to stock up way beyond the norm is nonsense frankly. Any player who goes from a Republic college to one in NI will lose most if not every bit of the state aid SUSI provides - players have to be getting a significant full ride offer to even put UUJ on their radars in most cases.

Onthe40

http://www.the42.ie/dcu-jordanstown-sigerson-cup-2-2613860-Feb2016/

looks like Richie Donnelly being badly dispossessed for the goal.....

Zulu

To be fair he was fouled but on the other hand it's good to see such arsing around in a team's own backline get punished like that!

J70

McKinless only a sub for Jordanstown?

He looked like a serious up and coming talent at full back for Derry a couple of years back.

redzone

Free out all day long.paudie Hughes  Reffing the game.not the first time the man is out of his depth at times

skeog

bannside

Take your red specs off for a minute Redzone. Firstly Ritchie didn't offload to a man off his shoulder, then he fouled the ball by taking about ten steps, then he criminally tried to carry a ball through the tackle - risking being dispossessed in a very dangerous area with his defence out of place.

No point blaming the ref for that.

After that UUJ put six into the goalkeepers arms and seven wides in one half of football. That wasn't the refs fault. It was either greed or poor decision making. Same as last year I'm afraid. Too many egos trying to look like the star man, and not enough proper team play.